You are not logged in.

#1 2006-03-25 06:47:53

Super 150s

Zimmerli Underwear

I wanted to see what the consensus was about this brand of underwear from people with experience.

#2 2006-03-25 08:53:03

Film Noir Buff
Dandy Nightmare

Re: Zimmerli Underwear

Ive bought quite a lot of it. its not that great and it is very overpriced. It is cut in a very continental manner which looks effeminate on Americans. It yellows easily and it stains like ordinary underwear.  It also gets brittle quickly.

The ribbed sleeveless tanks are good for wearing under a sheer shirt in the summer, otherwise, i wouldnt buy these unless you simply want to throw away money.

#3 2006-03-25 09:51:41

Will

I wear it daily. Haven't found anything with a comparable feel.

Will's thoughts on classic men's clothing
http://www.asuitablewardrobe.net/

#4 2006-03-26 23:11:01

Cruz Diez

I agree with Will, but there's a caveat. The Royal Classic undershirts are excellent.  The seams are very thin and well made; comfortable and invisible under most shirts. The knit's weave and weight achieve the perfect balance between wicking ability and evaporative surface area, keeping  me dry under most conditions, and I'd dare to say the material even has anti-odor properties. The knit briefs and boxers are a different story though. They stretch and get baggy easily plus the elastic is made of the absolute worst material I've ever seen (in particular the elastics with the name "Zimmerli" embroidered on them). I find it odd that Zimmerli make the best cotton knit, but the worst and cheapest elastic waistbands, which pill like crazy and after a few washes, even hand wash, end up looking like total POSs.

Last edited by Cruz Diez (2006-03-26 23:12:01)

#5 2006-03-26 23:44:53

Will

I had the knit boxers stretch and stopped wearing them but not the briefs.

#6 2006-03-27 04:15:07

Horace

I've had good luck with American Apparell's fine-knit t-shirts.  But I've really liked
the Sunspel t-shirts.

What's the diff. between the top-of-the-line and the "business class"?  It's not a
big price difference (only $8 or $10), and I wonder if the two lines aren't very similar?

I've also found that CEGO boxers (made in the USA, old Brooks cut) are the best
value around, though I prefer the J. Press boxers by a margin.

""This is probably the last Deb season...because of the stock market, the economy, Everything..." - W. Stillman.

#7 2006-03-27 07:05:37

The_Shooman
A pretty face

Yeah, i've always skimped on under garments too. As long as they're cotton, who really cares. l'd rather pay $20 for a pack of undies than pay $45 for a pair that's probably not much better. That's the only piece of clothing l scimp on.

#8 2006-03-27 23:07:02

Horace

Last edited by Horace (2006-03-27 23:21:47)

""This is probably the last Deb season...because of the stock market, the economy, Everything..." - W. Stillman.

#9 2006-03-27 23:26:56

Horace

Dear Marc:

that'd be great.  It'd be nice too for you to link to those jackets you posted on another forum (I cannot recall the name now). I saw them and really liked most of them very much.   They were conservative and looked well-made.  Timelessness (or as near to it as possible) is the most desirable thing to me).

My wife just bought a digi-cam and I'm going to try, when I get some free time, to pull out some old Trad stuff and take photos of it.  Some of my older shirts from Troy Guild, etc.  I've also found a small shirtmaker in the USA who does an _exact_ replica of a Troy shirt.  Only one I've found.  Some of the Trads (albeit lurking) will dig it.  Maybe throw an old Harvard Coop blazer up.  What the hey.

Also -- I want to take a pic of a suit I had made in an admittedly amateur attempt to replicate the cut of the Cary Grant suit in North by North West.  Unfortunately the grey is a lot darker than his, but I think I got the cut of the jacket correct.

Also maybe some picks of the old weejuns, nannie reds, and Liberty ties.  Show these kids how it was done!

edit:  which is not to say that Liberty ties aren't an embarrassment now, nor were they then!

Last edited by Horace (2006-03-27 23:48:54)

#10 2006-03-27 23:49:30

Horace

#11 2006-03-31 11:25:24

maxnharry

I do like the Zimmerli stuff, but don't love the price. 

I have to echo the comment about Target.  I think the Merona stuff is a great value.

BTW FNB, thanks for setting this board up.  Looking like a great place to visit!

#12 2006-03-31 16:31:12

BraceBack Mountain

These undies are way too expensive. They are not worth it. I mean, for free they are great.

#13 2006-04-03 21:51:17

Horace

My wife just bought some of the Zimmerli t-shirts.  Maybe they have different grades of cotton but
I wasn't impressed by the feel of the cotton next to my Sunspel t-shirts.  They were a bit nicer
(but not a heck of a lot) than the fine-knit American Apparel stuff.  There's another company I'm
going to try that was recommended on styleforum.net by one of the knowledgeable people there.
So, I'll report back.

Last edited by Horace (2006-04-03 21:53:25)

#14 2006-08-17 06:06:39

Horace

#15 2006-08-17 15:57:43

mrwynn

The best stuff I have found so far is Adam+Eve. It is on the expensive side, but lasts forever and feels incredible. I have had some of their shirts for two years now and they still look quite good, even the dark colors like black and navy.

#16 2006-08-17 23:28:23

Horace

My wife also likes  Petit Bateau, which can be bought in Paris, at the French equiv. of Sears.  Good quality cotton.

#17 2006-12-26 03:05:20

Horace

I've had a few newer pairs of Zim. shirts for the last 6 months or maybe 9 months now.  In addition to some Sunspels.  Probably 20 washings each, each worn maybe once a week or some once every other.  The Zim's are a better fit -- esp. on the chest for me (size L -- I take a 42 jacket).  Also just the right length.  And they don't "bag" on the stomach the way some of the Hanes brands used to do.  But after 20 washings each (delicate wash on warm with tide), I've found that the fabric has begun to almost "pill" near the chest on the Zims, whereas the Sunspels still maintain an amazingly smooth and silky "hand" to the fabric.  If I could find a sunspel shirt in a Zim cut, that'd be the ticket.

Brooks t-shirts (the two different types -- Supima and their Mercerized Egyptian cotton) are on sale and I'm going to try those I think.  They're made in Canada.  I was also delighted to see that Brooks is also offering Made in England properly sized merino wool socks.  At 55% off, tomorrow only, if you buy 6 pair.

Brooks cotton pajamas continue to be horrible, I'm afraid.

Last edited by Horace (2006-12-26 03:06:56)

#18 2007-05-14 01:49:53

Horace

#19 2007-05-14 12:00:17

Will

#20 2007-05-14 18:24:58

stylestudent

If anyone is interested in a summer t-shirt to wear under your short-sleeve shirt that isn't visible when the shirt is unbuttoned and which doesn't extend past the sleeves, try this (to avoid perspiration stains):

http://www.barenecessities.com/C-IN2-Pima-Non-Torque-Deep-V-Neck_product_CIN21111_,search,.htm

Less tight than American Apparel.

Regards,

Steven

#21 2007-05-14 19:21:34

Connemara

do you, buy the underwares, from, the Malindi?

#22 2016-05-01 00:30:32

Beestonplace

I bought 2 pairs of Zimmerli cotton briefs yesterday. Great fit but now, lets, see, about, the long, term,

I LOVE , this foum

#23 2017-04-15 13:45:39

Beestonplace

Just bought 3 additional pair, now my collection consists of 10 altogether.

Great stuff.

The equivalent of drinking Pellegrino, but as underwear.

I LOVE , this foum

#24 2017-04-18 18:58:03

Film Noir Buff
Dandy Nightmare

Board footer