You are not logged in.

#1 2009-07-02 13:16:31

One Trick Pony

The Polo Shirt

Growing up in the early 70s, a Fred Perry was something to aspire to.  Lacoste came very much later.  I'm not about to start laying into them - not at all - only to say I no longer find them very exciting, having tried Brooks and ancient Munsingwear as well as FP, RL and Lacoste.  All I want is 100% cotton, made in the USA, in navy blue, olive green or something similar; not too close fitting.  What's cheap and cheerful?  Again, you see, as with the zippered jacket, we're treading the fine line between Ivy cool and OAP territory.  I'm almost, but not quite, tempted to pick up the one the Teamsters do for their membership, but I don't want to end up like Jimmy Hoffa. 
J.Simons were doing something in lime green last summer I quite liked the look of.  Made in Peru, though, if memory serves me well.  A shame Fred Perry and Lacoste are so overdone now.  Even a trip a few years ago to the Lacoste store in Paris was completely uninspiring.  Am I asking too much of what is basically a humble garment?

#2 2009-07-02 13:20:51

sunra

Re: The Polo Shirt

I'm a big fan of American Apparel polo shirts. I find them well cut, long lasting & they are made in America

#3 2009-07-02 14:21:03

rokusho63

nothing beats lacoste. the collars and plackets are absolutely right, and sit perfectly under a sweatshirt or jumper.  they never ever go bobbly. when they eventually die i take them to work to use as rags, and they're really hard to tear (ok i admit i'm no hulk hogan). if there is one gripe at lacoste polo shirts, it's that they're not as good as they used to be. but what is? abercrombie polos have very floppy collars which can get a weird crease after ironing. penguin polos are very nice, as are faconnable. for something a bit unusual, bathing ape and fjäll räven polo shirts are utterly lovely, and for plain polos at a very good price uniqlo are good.
i would never wear boss after they bombed my great grandad's allotment.

#4 2009-07-03 04:21:43

Prof Kelp
Professor of Ivy

I'm with One Trick Pony here in that I don't hate polo shirts, but at the moment am not really that inspired by them. Of the makes that I do own, the best one I have is a no logo white pringle one. Its really well made, not too baggy and most importantly the collar stays flat, it doesn't curl up during wearing like Fred Perry's, Burberry's etc.

http://thetownoutside.tumblr.com

#5 2009-07-04 00:50:27

Horace

""This is probably the last Deb season...because of the stock market, the economy, Everything..." - W. Stillman.

#6 2009-07-04 14:14:01

The Ace Face

Lacoste, for awhile until they came just another brand, just another sigil replacating itself like a Burroughs's word virus, had some distinguishing qualities in the polo shirt.  They sold out so bad, its annoying.

They had "the" classic summer aftershave for men, reminiscent of the Mediterranean, and now, they've take it off the market and there's a load of synthetic shit instead, smells like its come off slag heap in Merthyr Tydfil. 

Lacoste, the clothing equivalent of Paul Weller.

Draped and sculpted hep cat suit - as worn by His Royal Hepness, Cab Calloway

#7 2009-07-05 04:03:57

One Trick Pony

#8 2009-07-05 07:08:07

Natural Sole Brother
Ivy, naturally.

The American Apparel shirts are far too Superbad to be Ivy; OK for younger chaps with beards and volumes of post-ecstasy generation poems tucked into their back pockets I would have thought. The AA plain cotton t-shirts are quite good though.

I have a couple of pique cloth short sleeve button-downs from Brooks from a few years ago and these might be the answer for those intent on putting another twist on the classic tennis shirt. They were made in the far east so that might rule them out for many on here. The navy gets a lot more wear than the white, principally with seersucker or stone/tan poplin. I always wear them with the top button closed as I would a tennis shirt.

#9 2009-07-06 05:46:20

One Trick Pony

Just found a tan Viyella in our local Red Cross shop.  £3.29.  Naff gold buttons, to be replaced instantly.  Feels like sea island, but, as with the excellent Smedley I had from them about three years ago, all but the trade name tag have been removed.  Can't complain at the price, though. 
Viyella intrigues me.  Very English and yet somehow...  very Ivy?  Anyone know the story?

#10 2009-07-06 14:19:45

rokusho63

^  the ivy shops in richmond and windsor always had a lot of viyella shirts. mostly cotton with some wool if i remember correctly. superb quality and indestructible.

#11 2009-07-06 22:54:44

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

#12 2009-07-07 01:43:16

One Trick Pony

BDs at the Andover Shop.

#13 2009-07-09 07:52:29

Moose Maclennan
Ivy Inspiration

I still quite fancy an A&F polo. For the cute little moose.

#14 2009-07-09 12:27:42

rokusho63

#15 2009-07-16 11:57:08

One Trick Pony

Just clocked a black and white photo of Clint Eastwood sporting Lacoste.  Early 60s I'd say.  Looks all right.  (When does he ever hold a candle to Newman?)

#16 2009-07-16 12:57:28

ScarletStreet

Better film director, possibly better piano player.

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it." -- H.L. Mencken

Board footer