Mr. Ivy

Re: Mr. Jason Jules on The Blank Canvas -

wtf are those turn-ups about?

''By hurling yourself into the abyss you discover its a feather bed.”

#3 2012-05-06 02:06:26

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

I'd say they're about three and a half inches ?

#4 2012-05-06 02:08:06

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

I've a nice new thing coming up on Jason's blog soon on the selling of Ivy style from a marketing POV. Only John Gall has seen it so far.

#5 2012-05-06 03:27:03

Kingston1an

White trainers , sneakers , whatever, go with ear rings as part of today's uniform for the modern grandad.

"Florid, smug, middle-aged golf club bore in this country I'd say. Propping up the 19th hole in deepest Surrey bemoaning the perils of immigration."

#6 2012-05-06 04:01:06

fxh
Big Down Under.

Yup.

Down at the music festival t'other week I made the scientific finding that the wearing of sneakers after age 30 should be on,y with special permission. Eg if you were a 6ft plus Ramone skinny and in torn jeans, t shirt , leather jacket, long hair. And on stage.

An additional finding, which may even yield another paper, is that earrings are now passé at any age and a sign of , er, um, something if you are over 40. A bald head, with grey long ponytail, plus earring, can only be an ironic statement. I hope.

#7 2012-05-06 05:00:36

The Thin Repp
Ivy Evangelist

http://www.etsy.com/shop/NewtonStreetVintage  Classic Vintage Ivy League Clothing on Etsy.

#8 2012-05-06 05:19:05

One For Bop
Mr. Ivy

#9 2012-05-06 05:24:22

Patrick

I wear plain white sneakers at the gym, which gets me some funny looks. From guys who look like Bugs Bunny villains — enormous chests and arms, big bellies, and skinny little legs ending in high-tech, moon boot basketball sneakers, artfully unlaced.

Yeah. I look goofy next to these guys.

Otter : Take it easy, I'm pre-law.
Boon : I thought you were pre-med.
Otter : What's the difference?

#10 2012-05-06 05:27:59

General Butt Naked
Muppet

Come, let us slake our mandrakes together !

#11 2012-05-06 05:50:25

The Thin Repp
Ivy Evangelist

http://www.etsy.com/shop/NewtonStreetVintage  Classic Vintage Ivy League Clothing on Etsy.

#12 2012-05-06 06:08:25

One For Bop
Mr. Ivy

I think what suits me taints what I like, and therefore what I describe as being 'the best' but I have to say I have always preferred closer cuts, I don't like high-waters or big turn-ups. I like shorter jackets. I don't like the fullness of the 50's, 1960-67 does me fine really. But first of all that's just my view, and also I don't have the knowledge to talk about things in historical terms, I'll leave that for Jim.

#13 2012-05-06 07:49:53

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

#14 2012-05-06 07:51:43

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

#15 2012-05-06 08:05:54

One For Bop
Mr. Ivy

I'll have a pop at anyone really, well apart from Soggy, not now he knows where I live. But I'd expect the same back from anyone, it is only clothes, I think JP is a bit of an uppity from how he came over on here when the whole lets distinguish ourselves from Talk Ivy, it is all steeped so much in the politics of all this shit. And again these guys are authors, not clothes designers, or are they?

When all we are looking at really is the aesthetics of clothes, not something I claim to have mastered but something I'm more bothered about that my standings in the world of the internet. I'll be the first to praise and the first to damn, and if people think my opinion really amounts to much that is up to them. But on a side note I liked Dean style and I'm pretty sure I supported that whole look, I liked it very much, but big London turn-ups that don't look good, no thanks. It's of the time, and that soon burns itself out, I'm not about that. That is what appealed to me about Ivy, the oneupmanship approach of hipster and igent didn't appear to be there.

This shit is the bathing ape, jap denim nonsense of the 90's, it didn't go away. Oi Polloi all that shit, it's nice to court because it has more of a following than us, but it'll be burned out in two years time and nobody will give a fuck.

I don't see the London/Hipster distortion of Ivy being any better, than the shit prep distortion that Chenners covers in his latest PS/Jack Wills post.

Andy pisses me off, but I do think he is right on a lot, and he is right on his view of hipsters.

Last edited by One For Bop (2012-05-06 08:12:19)

#16 2012-05-06 08:33:27

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

Which one was 'JP'?

Rob - I think what you say goes along with my view that 'Take Ivy' is the new OPH - The watershed book for this moment.

Before, it was different. After, it is now different again.

- But not for anybody who is an Ivy classicist.

I'm merely an observer.

#17 2012-05-06 08:44:28

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

I agree with Oo Bop about the hipster slant on ivy, just a phase.

The veneration of Jason has no resonance with me, there's too much affectation for me in the way he dresses, those turnups are just rediculous. That style has no place in my personal book of ivy, but it obviously does in his so that's fine. As Zac said the dude marches to the beat of his own drum.

I'm not really into venerating anyone over the way they dress, but if anyone does always look spot on when I see him in person or in a photo it's John Gaul and I wish he'd come back here.

'I'm not that keen on the Average Look .......ever'. 
John Simons

Achievements: banned from the Ivy Style FB Group

#18 2012-05-06 08:53:32

One For Bop
Mr. Ivy

I think he is a stylish guy, i just dont like his style.

#19 2012-05-06 09:29:11

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

#20 2012-05-06 09:30:28

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

#21 2012-05-06 11:02:43

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

If white trainers were good enough for Norman Granz and are good enough for Jason Jules, well....er, on second thoughts, there was a job lot in our local Ikea store last weekend. Not for me.

Vibe-Rations in Spectra-Sonic-Sound

#22 2012-05-06 11:15:52

Liam Mac
Ivy Avenger

If anyone's interested I think JJ is wearing Converse 'Monochrome' low tops here. I  think these used to be available with white eyelets too and even white sole a few seasons back. I prefer the metal eyelet and standard sole version. Material was a choice of canvas or perforated leather if I remember correctly. I don't know if they are still available. I imagine some online places will still have them.

If Converse made anything close to a mid range quality sneaker I'd be all over these as they look exactly like the army issue Hoods I posted in the sneaker thread. Unfortunately as it stands Converse make the worst quality All Star style sneaker out there just now. Worse than Primarks own £8 version. Trust me on that.

#23 2012-05-06 12:33:13

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

'I'm not that keen on the Average Look .......ever'. 
John Simons

Achievements: banned from the Ivy Style FB Group

#24 2012-05-06 12:56:05

The Thin Repp
Ivy Evangelist

#25 2012-05-06 13:37:35

Liam Mac
Ivy Avenger

who is the dude next to JJ in the gallery snap?

Board footer