You are not logged in.

#1 2017-03-05 11:20:49

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate
From: Staines-upon-Thames, Middlesex
Posts: 5725

More Moderation

I have removed a number of posts from the last few days of the ILST thread that dont consist of the display of outfits or the gentlemanly appreciation or constructive criticism of them. Ive also more or less expunged traces of recent visits by trolls.

It took me a while.

I have also deleted the contentious political threads from NSFW as these have unfortunately caused some lasting resentment for some people.



We have had some letting off of steam on here recently. I have had some feedback from members - some good, and some not so good, but mainly good. Thanks for all of it.

There is a need for moderators, there is also a need for us to moderate ourselves, I include myself as I have not always been beyond reproach. It's very easy to go from 0 - 60 in seconds if someone annoys you - lets engage cruise control.

I think the forum still has a lot to offer and it would be good to attract back some of the posters who have stayed silent recently, as well as supporting new members.


'I'm not that keen on the Average Look .......ever'. 
John Simons

 

#2 2017-03-06 00:22:18

IvyLeagueOfGentlemen
Ivyist
From: Grace Brothers
Posts: 1138

Re: More Moderation

woofboxer wrote:

I have had some feedback from members - some good, and some not so good, but mainly good. Thanks for all of it.

Could the forum ban the use of ridiculous animated avatars that crept in under some of the old regime?


As I looked out into that night sky, with all those infinite stars, it made me realise how unimportant they are.

Peter Cook

 

#3 2017-03-06 13:34:11

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate
From: Staines-upon-Thames, Middlesex
Posts: 5725

Re: More Moderation

IvyLeagueOfGentlemen wrote:

woofboxer wrote:

I have had some feedback from members - some good, and some not so good, but mainly good. Thanks for all of it.

Could the forum ban the use of ridiculous animated avatars that crept in under some of the old regime?

I don't know if thats possible, I haven't noticed anyone using one in a long time.


'I'm not that keen on the Average Look .......ever'. 
John Simons

 

#4 2017-03-06 18:07:50

Chipper
Member
From: Charm City
Posts: 1343

Re: More Moderation

As my father was fond of telling me, all things in moderation. Chuckle.


"Duvel copied my homework." ~ Unknown

 

#5 2017-03-07 02:40:10

IvyLeagueOfGentlemen
Ivyist
From: Grace Brothers
Posts: 1138

Re: More Moderation

Chipper wrote:

As my father was fond of telling me, all things in moderation. Chuckle.

"Even moderation in moderation" as Oscar Wilde once said...


As I looked out into that night sky, with all those infinite stars, it made me realise how unimportant they are.

Peter Cook

 

#6 2017-03-08 13:33:28

Goodyear welt
Ivyist At Large
Posts: 2678

Re: More Moderation

TBF its not always easy to show appreciation of some of the complete car crashes and mundane shite you see on that thread.


There, I think I held myself back quite well regarding commenting on pussys that quite clearly shop at Age Concern or think their a cross between Cary Grant, Prince Charles and Giovanni Agnelli cause they've purchased a pair of tennis shoes. Tossers.




As you were.


Rocking traditional, current and classic Italian Ivy since 2011.

 

#7 2017-03-11 04:53:10

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate
From: Staines-upon-Thames, Middlesex
Posts: 5725

Re: More Moderation

Again, this morning I've taken down a perfectly good thread because people were waiting in the wings to weigh in, with vitriol and invection, and dig up a controversy that long since passed.

Moderation must come from members.


'I'm not that keen on the Average Look .......ever'. 
John Simons

 

#8 2017-03-11 04:57:34

steve mcqueen fan
Agent Ivy.
Posts: 1449

Re: More Moderation

woofboxer wrote:

Again, this morning I've taken down a perfectly good thread because people were waiting in the wings to weigh in, with vitriol and invection, and dig up a controversy that long since passed.

Moderation must come from members.

Bull shit


"McQueen's message was signaled through subtraction... in a tweed or herringbone jacket and a ribbed swearer he had an electric austerity".

 

#9 2017-03-11 05:06:11

steve mcqueen fan
Agent Ivy.
Posts: 1449

Re: More Moderation

woofboxer wrote:

Again, this morning I've taken down a perfectly good thread because people were waiting in the wings to weigh in, with vitriol and invection, and dig up a controversy that long since passed.

Moderation must come from members.

Waiting in the wings ? I saw that Billax thread last week and didn't bring up Chipper, he's the one who brought it up with his snide little comment today, and then I can't respond? As I said bull shit.


"McQueen's message was signaled through subtraction... in a tweed or herringbone jacket and a ribbed swearer he had an electric austerity".

 

#10 2017-03-11 05:27:02

Chipper
Member
From: Charm City
Posts: 1343

Re: More Moderation

Apropos of nothing... I think a nice thread might be to feature different blogs or tumblr sites on ivy/trad/prep we like. There are the obvious candidates like Ox's, of course, but I think there are many lesser knowns that we might find enjoyable. I just stumbled on LeeLo's tumblr page and it's very good.

I mean, like, one thread that features different blogs, etc., as opposed to one thread per blog. You'd post whatever new or unknown one you'd "discovered," etc., folks could comment or not as they saw fit and post their own favorites, etc. I dunno. Maybe it's been done before. Maybe it's a dumb idea.

Last edited by Chipper (2017-03-11 05:40:03)


"Duvel copied my homework." ~ Unknown

 

#11 2017-03-11 13:33:06

Chief Brody
Member
Posts: 1634

Re: More Moderation

woofboxer wrote:

Again, this morning I've taken down a perfectly good thread because people were waiting in the wings to weigh in, with vitriol and invection, and dig up a controversy that long since passed.

Moderation must come from members.

The thread was in praise of Billax and his style. You linked to an interview he did with a style blogger and  I thought it appropriate to explain the retirement of Billax's own blog and the loss of his presence on this forum to the newbie who started the thread. Some contextual background was all. I linked to a thread on this site and a post on Ivy style.

Funny that Chipper suggests a thread to pay tribute to Blogs we like. Plenty of us here liked Billax's blog and his contributions. Chipper's crotch shots and radiator cover enquiries don't compare, in my book.

Single White Female" was the descriptor I used. The rehabilitation of Chipper, an internet troll could inspire a thread?

 

#12 2017-03-11 13:40:38

Berkeley_Breathes
Moderator
Posts: 412

Re: More Moderation

One of TI's main issues at the moment is exactly this - not being able to let go of things, having to prove oneself right and others wrong... After a few dozen instances of members driving threads into the ground with this kind of back and forth, around and around, it gets old.

I'm not trying to single anyone out, and I'm not defending or accusing anyone at all. But it's a valuable skill to be able to feel you are right and the other person is wrong, and still walk away because it's just not worth the fight...

I'm not much for religion personally but, "Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest thou also be like unto him"...

I have no doubt at all that we can all take the high road, *ignore* the trolling, and focus on the good things that everyone brings to TI. And if someone brings nothing good at all, then that will be made clear to them by the mods. It's sad when the only things great posters say here is contentious, or angry, when they could be adding what their post history shows they can add - constructive, helpful, interesting stuff!

Last edited by Berkeley_Breathes (2017-03-11 13:41:42)


Trust but verify

 

#13 2017-03-11 13:51:05

Chief Brody
Member
Posts: 1634

Re: More Moderation

Sleeping dogs would be left well alone I am sure, if like Steve McQueen Fan above said, Chipper would stop bringing it up in his own sideways fashion.

Directness is not tolerated? But sly digs are cool? Ixnay on that cray... ixnay I say!

One love, BB.

The fact that Chipper commented at all (on a thread praising Billax), was incitement enough. And my response was to simply present the "reported facts" for a re-read.

Last edited by Chief Brody (2017-03-11 15:47:53)

 

#14 2017-03-11 14:03:15

Berkeley_Breathes
Moderator
Posts: 412

Re: More Moderation

I totally hear you, Chief. But even so, you don't HAVE to take the bait, even though it's hung out in front of your nose. The sly digs are designed for you to respond, and once you have - even just to present the facts again - is losing the battle.

It's not that your directness isn't tolerated. It's that it only invites more of the sly digs, since the two of you aren't necessarily playing the same game -  trolls are gonna troll as long as people respond, so the best fix is for you, or anyone, to not respond anymore - not because you're wrong, but because trolls (and I'm speaking generally here, I don't know enough about this situation to label anyone) aren't interested in re-reads, they just like responses.

One love indeed!


Trust but verify

 

#15 2017-03-11 14:24:41

Chief Brody
Member
Posts: 1634

Re: More Moderation

I agree on all counts, BB. Thank you.

Indulge me on this last comment on the matter
I bet Chipper changes his name to SWF or his avatar to Jennifer Jason Leigh!
😜

 

#16 2017-03-11 15:19:43

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate
From: Staines-upon-Thames, Middlesex
Posts: 5725

Re: More Moderation

^ All right and true  Berkeley, especially the first paragraph.  But these beys just don't want to let it go, they want the flag bearing and the aggro. It's making me tired.


'I'm not that keen on the Average Look .......ever'. 
John Simons

 

#17 2017-03-11 15:24:11

Berkeley_Breathes
Moderator
Posts: 412

Re: More Moderation

I think those comments have been linked to before, so I'm not sure we need them again...

Remember, if anyone on the forum is causing a lot of trouble, baiting other members, truly just trolling, it will be addressed by a mod in one way or another... You have my word on that smile But when someone can contribute in a constructive way to the forum, they will be welcome!

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_kuxoweGgfV1qa9armo1_500.jpg


Trust but verify

 

#18 2017-03-11 15:27:34

Berkeley_Breathes
Moderator
Posts: 412

Re: More Moderation

I believe there's a fight thread in the NSFW section if someone has a personal grievance? Or was it getting too bloody over there? Either way, this is the clothing section of the forum.

But I know Chief's picking up what I'm putting down... And as for SMF, make like the man himself and smile! Don't let the trolls reel you in!

http://neighborhoodplayhouse.org/upload/images/alumni/20141107-alumni-mcqueen.jpg


Trust but verify

 

#19 2017-03-11 15:40:46

Armchaired
Ivy I.V.
From: Old England
Posts: 7208

Re: More Moderation

Sooner or later someone will just want to



http://i.imgur.com/2XnP4jy.jpg

When they do give me a shout ,because all the rest of it makes me yawn.


My therapist told me that I over-analyze everything. I explained to him that he only thinks this because of his unhappy relationship with his mother.

 

#20 2017-03-11 15:58:40

Berkeley_Breathes
Moderator
Posts: 412

Re: More Moderation

WORD.

(Relevant text)
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-jqPDfZqZ1PU/TscpP_9DXvI/AAAAAAAAAp4/SNyo1LW2tCQ/s1600/talkivy0.jpg


Trust but verify

 

#21 2017-03-11 16:39:17

Patrick
Member
Posts: 2180

Re: More Moderation

^ Thus Spake Cousin Dick




Just kidding. I don't have a cousin Dick. But if I did, he'd talk like that.

Whatever happened to the Inane Post of the Day? That was an excellent place to vent the ol' spleen.

Later...Oh never mind, I see it in the Wardrobe. I never go there. Rough neighborhood.

Last edited by Patrick (2017-03-11 16:44:43)

 

#22 2017-03-11 17:28:59

Chipper
Member
From: Charm City
Posts: 1343

Re: More Moderation

So... I guess nobody likes the idea?

Chipper wrote:

Apropos of nothing... I think a nice thread might be to feature different blogs or tumblr sites on ivy/trad/prep we like. There are the obvious candidates like Ox's, of course, but I think there are many lesser knowns that we might find enjoyable. I just stumbled on LeeLo's tumblr page and it's very good.

I mean, like, one thread that features different blogs, etc., as opposed to one thread per blog. You'd post whatever new or unknown one you'd "discovered," etc., folks could comment or not as they saw fit and post their own favorites, etc. I dunno. Maybe it's been done before. Maybe it's a dumb idea.


"Duvel copied my homework." ~ Unknown

 

#23 2017-03-11 17:53:52

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate
From: Staines-upon-Thames, Middlesex
Posts: 5725

Re: More Moderation

Chipper wrote:

So... I guess nobody likes the idea?

Chipper wrote:

Apropos of nothing... I think a nice thread might be to feature different blogs or tumblr sites on ivy/trad/prep we like. There are the obvious candidates like Ox's, of course, but I think there are many lesser knowns that we might find enjoyable. I just stumbled on LeeLo's tumblr page and it's very good.

I mean, like, one thread that features different blogs, etc., as opposed to one thread per blog. You'd post whatever new or unknown one you'd "discovered," etc., folks could comment or not as they saw fit and post their own favorites, etc. I dunno. Maybe it's been done before. Maybe it's a dumb idea.

Sounds like a good idea to me! How about getting it started?


'I'm not that keen on the Average Look .......ever'. 
John Simons

 

#24 2017-03-11 18:18:25

Chipper
Member
From: Charm City
Posts: 1343

Re: More Moderation

Thanks, Woof. I'd start with LeeLo's. I'll see what I can do in the morn after my caffeine dosage. wink

woofboxer wrote:

Chipper wrote:

So... I guess nobody likes the idea?

Chipper wrote:

Apropos of nothing... I think a nice thread might be to feature different blogs or tumblr sites on ivy/trad/prep we like. There are the obvious candidates like Ox's, of course, but I think there are many lesser knowns that we might find enjoyable. I just stumbled on LeeLo's tumblr page and it's very good.

I mean, like, one thread that features different blogs, etc., as opposed to one thread per blog. You'd post whatever new or unknown one you'd "discovered," etc., folks could comment or not as they saw fit and post their own favorites, etc. I dunno. Maybe it's been done before. Maybe it's a dumb idea.

Sounds like a good idea to me! How about getting it started?


"Duvel copied my homework." ~ Unknown

 

Board footer

Powered by PunBB
© Copyright 2002–2008 Rickard Andersson