•  » The Wardrobe
  •  » wealthy Chinese shun Louis Vuitton and Gucci as too popular

#26 2017-10-15 20:28:59

The_Shooman
A pretty face

Re: wealthy Chinese shun Louis Vuitton and Gucci as too popular

Goodyear welt wrote:

Dunhill suits are made by Zegna.

According go the book by Dana Thomas the company Dunhill, Versace and Boss now gets much of their clothes made in third world countries by children. Well at least at the time they were (10 years ago). I think Dana herself saw it...sweatshops full of kids about 7 or 8 sewing clothes for the big names.

The Valentino suits are/were made in a third world country where the employees would watch a video on how to make clothes. Of course Valentino would rip out the made-in-China label and replace it with made-in-ltaly and charge thousands per suit.

You will also see heaps of websites selling junk clothing that was once really reputable. Of course they don't dare to mention their clothing was made in China, but websites will always proudly mention something being made in the U.K or ltaly etc. And when you check the tags and labels online the companies made sure the made-in-china label is well hidden away where-as the made-in-England labels etc are easy to be seen.  See!
https://www.lyst.com.au/clothing/ballan … r-grey-12/

Last edited by The_Shooman (2017-10-15 20:41:17)

Buff's Bastards......exposing message board inanity and keeping false GODS accountable since 2006!

Cooked food should be made illegal - Dr Jubb (Jubsy)

#27 2017-10-15 20:39:47

Berkeley_Breathes

Babbling Brooks wrote:

the difference is typically what you can't see.

That's becoming a new measure of luxury... what old money has known for decades... quiet quality is worth more money than loud crap. Prince Charles is my typical example of this model of luxury. To most, his clothes look either ratty or like nothing too special (of course, most people aren't noticing things like fit/fabric/etc that belies the quality)... but they are very well made (and well-repaired) and cost a fortune... You could say the same for the Kennedy brothers, their clothes were beautiful on the inside, conventional on the outside...

If someone is spending a lot of money to convince me that their clothes are high quality, or making their clothes *look* "luxury" on the outside, I get suspicious. The same goes for cars, or food, or whatever it might be...

Bertie: "What do ties matter, Jeeves, at a time like this?"
Jeeves: "There is no time, sir, at which ties do not matter."

Blog: https://rehearsingtheblues.blogspot.com/

#28 2017-10-15 21:09:10

The_Shooman
A pretty face

Berkeley_Breathes wrote:

Babbling Brooks wrote:

the difference is typically what you can't see.

That's becoming a new measure of luxury... what old money has known for decades... quiet quality is worth more money than loud crap. Prince Charles is my typical example of this model of luxury. To most, his clothes look either ratty or like nothing too special (of course, most people aren't noticing things like fit/fabric/etc that belies the quality)... but they are very well made (and well-repaired) and cost a fortune... You could say the same for the Kennedy brothers, their clothes were beautiful on the inside, conventional on the outside...

If someone is spending a lot of money to convince me that their clothes are high quality, or making their clothes *look* "luxury" on the outside, I get suspicious. The same goes for cars, or food, or whatever it might be...

I love quiet quality and love how it doesn't draw the wrong type of  attention. One man asked me how much my shoes were, he said they must have been about $200, but l didn't dare tell him how much those John Lobb really were. People just assume you have nice clothes that cost under $100 and they are not going to be able to comprehend that the quiet quality is going to be hundreds for a shirt or over 1K for that excellent cashmere jumper. People are not supposed to know those things if they can't comprehend what luxury is.

Last edited by The_Shooman (2017-10-16 14:19:15)

Buff's Bastards......exposing message board inanity and keeping false GODS accountable since 2006!

#29 2017-10-15 23:56:07

Babbling Brooks

I think really what it boils down to, is the luxury market just an ego trip? Or is it the height of craftsman ship meeting a willing patronage?

Being someone who loves clothes for what I hope are the right reason, ie their worth in terms of their design, which means that don't actually have to break the bank on order to buy what I like, I once upon a time did have the wonger and lack of responsibility that  I could shell out on luxury items, and I'd have to say with shoes and outerwear it is worth it, everything else I not so sure I'd bother, however if you have the money and there is someone out their genuinely trying to craft the most beautiful things well maybe they need you're support, the idea of marketing and grossly branded luxury wear is a bit of a mugs game Imo, if you're shelling out for inferior products because it won't carry kudos with a group of people you're trying to impress well, you're probably not actually that in to clothes for the sake of clothes.

Last edited by Babbling Brooks (2017-10-15 23:59:20)

#30 2017-10-27 03:35:34

Goodyear welt
Ivyist At Large

The_Shooman wrote:

Goodyear welt wrote:

Dunhill suits are made by Zegna.

According go the book by Dana Thomas the company Dunhill, Versace and Boss now gets much of their clothes made in third world countries by children. Well at least at the time they were (10 years ago). I think Dana herself saw it...sweatshops full of kids about 7 or 8 sewing clothes for the big names.

The Valentino suits are/were made in a third world country where the employees would watch a video on how to make clothes. Of course Valentino would rip out the made-in-China label and replace it with made-in-ltaly and charge thousands per suit.

You will also see heaps of websites selling junk clothing that was once really reputable. Of course they don't dare to mention their clothing was made in China, but websites will always proudly mention something being made in the U.K or ltaly etc. And when you check the tags and labels online the companies made sure the made-in-china label is well hidden away where-as the made-in-England labels etc are easy to be seen.  See!
https://www.lyst.com.au/clothing/ballan … r-grey-12/

According to the bloke I spoke to in the Dunhill store/mansion/club thing in London who sells stuff  there, their suits and sportscoats are made by Zegna. I can't say if he'd been to the factory or not.

I can say that everything I looked at there was really nice, worth the money? Maybe not on my wages but for someone who has money to burn maybe yes.

Rocking traditional, current and classic Italian Ivy since 2011.

#31 2017-11-02 01:46:06

The_Shooman
A pretty face

A man who is a total label worshipper. Doesn't buy anything that is not a big brand name.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvFHypC7-Qc

#32 2017-11-02 11:16:44

Berkeley_Breathes

The_Shooman wrote:

A man who is a total label worshipper. Doesn't buy anything that is not a big brand name.

Watched without the sound, but even just watching, it reminded me of the endless brand lists in the original book of American Psycho. A void filled with materialism.

#33 2017-11-02 12:35:55

stanshall

Berkeley_Breathes wrote:

The_Shooman wrote:

Watched without the sound, but even just watching, it reminded me of the endless brand lists in the original book of American Psycho. A void filled with materialism.

I watched it with the sound on and felt a little sorry for the dude Ashley, especially when he was fondling his shiny Gucci tie.

No animus but he should talk to somebody.  Somebody professional.

"bow wow wow yippie yo yippie yay"

#34 2017-11-02 12:53:26

Yuca

The_Shooman wrote:

I only managed a minute, and that was without sound. If he swapped the entire lot for a pair of vintage Florsheims or a Brooks Makers BD then he would be getting a very good deal.

Talking of vintage clothes - I'd be interested to see if there is anyone anywhere buying that stuff in 20 years' time. I don't mean what those brands are producing in 20 years - which I imagine will still be popular - I mean will there be anyone on the planet in 2037 who wants to wear what those brands produced in 2017. Personally I doubt it.

some sort of banal legitimacy

#35 2017-11-02 13:26:25

Babbling Brooks

Why does anyone ever choose to wear pointy shoes in what ever era?

#36 2017-11-02 13:33:52

Babbling Brooks

stanshall wrote:

Berkeley_Breathes wrote:

The_Shooman wrote:

I watched it with the sound on and felt a little sorry for the dude Ashley, especially when he was fondling his shiny Gucci tie.

No animus but he should talk to somebody.  Somebody professional.

I think the difference is you could put Louis Vuitton on a turd and they'd buy it, I don't doubt they like what they buy, but still think it's about showing wealth more than the art and design of clothes, which is a humble and modest pursuit imo even if you spend a lot of wedge.

The luxury market does not guarantee good taste does it? It just says you can afford it, but at what cost? Pointy shoes? No thanks.

Last edited by Babbling Brooks (2017-11-02 13:34:18)

#37 2017-11-02 14:36:01

Berkeley_Breathes

Yuca wrote:

The_Shooman wrote:

I only managed a minute, and that was without sound. If he swapped the entire lot for a pair of vintage Florsheims or a Brooks Makers BD then he would be getting a very good deal.

Talking of vintage clothes - I'd be interested to see if there is anyone anywhere buying that stuff in 20 years' time. I don't mean what those brands are producing in 20 years - which I imagine will still be popular - I mean will there be anyone on the planet in 2037 who wants to wear what those brands produced in 2017. Personally I doubt it.

Very good question, and I also doubt it. But the same may go for what Brooks Brothers is making in 2017 too, sadly.

#38 2017-11-03 00:32:10

The_Shooman
A pretty face

Berkeley_Breathes wrote:

A void filled with materialism.

Indeed, and so incredibly sad. They don't seem to have any appreciation of anything outside of a brand. They don't seem to be able to tell quality so they rely on a brand name. Is it wanting the product or is it really just wanting to associate with a brand?

I remember going to a shoe shop and looking at some nice shoes while the Asian boy in his early 20's picked up some junky made-in-china stuff with a big fashion name. I got the better buy that day, something really nice for half his cost.

#39 2017-11-03 16:54:44

Goodyear welt
Ivyist At Large

I went into that Flannels store in Manchester when I was there for a soul weekender. I'd been in a few years before and seem to recall it was a pretty good shop. Not sure what happened inbetween then and now but that bloke in that vid would love it. Right load of shite. Whats with those Valentino trainers with the spikes all over them. Never have I seen such a load of shite in one place...and the prices. My god. Phillip Plein, WTF is that all about?
https://www.flannels.com/men

Rocking traditional, current and classic Italian Ivy since 2011.

• Index
  •  » The Wardrobe
  •  » wealthy Chinese shun Louis Vuitton and Gucci as too popular

Board footer