You are not logged in.

#1 2018-01-21 13:04:47

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate
From: Staines-upon-Thames, Middlesex
Posts: 6267

Peaky Blinders style

Newsboy caps make you look mean, especially worn with tweed and long overcoats. Even more so with razor blades sewn into the the peaks.


https://s17.postimg.org/wsjfdq93z/IMG_1619.jpg

https://s17.postimg.org/wfs17k69r/IMG_1620.jpg

https://s17.postimg.org/kdwndepbj/IMG_1621.jpg
.
.
.
All hail the 8 panel tweed Stetson Hatteras

https://s17.postimg.org/vhbo4xl4f/IMG_1478.jpg


'I'm not that keen on the Average Look .......ever'. 
John Simons

 

#2 2018-01-21 13:43:15

Berkeley_Breathes
Moderator
From: The Great White North
Posts: 2034

Re: Peaky Blinders style

Serious question - how easy is it to pull one of these off in the UK? I'd say it's near impossible in the US without looking like Tristan Tenfold in a polo coat, or the kind of guy who forges swords in his spare time...

Also I've never watched Peaky Blinders so didn't realize Cillian Murphy is in it, I always liked him.


"I happen to believe that the 1954 decision was right. But my belief does not matter; it is now the law. Some of you may believe the decision was wrong. That does not matter - it is the law. And we both respect the law." - RFK

 

#3 2018-01-21 13:45:53

Babbling Brooks
Member
Posts: 401

Re: Peaky Blinders style

Newsboy caps and 1920s/30s ivy👍
Modern Peaky blinders vintage beard men 👎


Dirty bucks I want you, dirty bucks I need you, woh-oh.

 

#4 2018-01-21 13:49:29

Babbling Brooks
Member
Posts: 401

Re: Peaky Blinders style

Berkeley_Breathes wrote:

Serious question - how easy is it to pull one of these off in the UK? I'd say it's near impossible in the US without looking like Tristan Tenfold in a polo coat, or the kind of guy who forges swords in his spare time...

Also I've never watched Peaky Blinders so didn't realize Cillian Murphy is in it, I always liked him.

Its a big thing with certain demographics BB, we have the Chiltern street, Ivy swinging bebop fan, the vintage bike wearing hollywood actor wannabe, and a bit of an old hip hop tweed vibe circa 1990s, you see quite a lot of people wearing them.

I dont wear one because they look terrible on me.


Dirty bucks I want you, dirty bucks I need you, woh-oh.

 

#5 2018-01-21 13:56:28

Berkeley_Breathes
Moderator
From: The Great White North
Posts: 2034

Re: Peaky Blinders style

My head is far too small (I wear a size 7) to ever wear anything like that, a baseball cap is already pushing it...

Some of the ones in the pics above almost look like baggy greens to be honest...


"I happen to believe that the 1954 decision was right. But my belief does not matter; it is now the law. Some of you may believe the decision was wrong. That does not matter - it is the law. And we both respect the law." - RFK

 

#6 2018-01-21 14:14:37

Worried Man
Member
From: Davebrubeckistan
Posts: 15988

Re: Peaky Blinders style

I think Stan's a fan of the 8-panel.  I wear a non-paneled flat cap on occasion.  I'd prefer this over a knit cap in cold weather, although possibly less warm.  The one I prefer is an old Bean suede cap.


"We close our sto' at a reasonable hour because we figure anybody who would want one of our suits has got time to stroll over here in the daytime." - VP of George Muse Clothing, Atlanta, 1955

 

#7 2018-01-22 02:21:29

MCM Geography Teacher
Member
Posts: 439

Re: Peaky Blinders style

Usually worn, as well as the 'pork pie' hat, in the UK by 'men of a certain age' who are clinging on by their fingernails to a belief in their I’m not a ‘normie’, ‘check me out I’m a bit alternative’, ‘aren’t I quite the raffish dandy’. Usually geriatric punk rockers, left leaning romantic bohemian lifestyle fantasists. That television programme has now pushed it into normie territory. Could be worse, they could be grown men in baseball caps..


'Bill Murden becomes the hero of the day as he rescues a confused duck.'

 

#8 2018-01-22 02:54:00

Babbling Brooks
Member
Posts: 401

Re: Peaky Blinders style

Ouch!


Dirty bucks I want you, dirty bucks I need you, woh-oh.

 

#9 2018-01-22 03:08:08

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate
From: Staines-upon-Thames, Middlesex
Posts: 6267

Re: Peaky Blinders style

MCM Geography Teacher wrote:

Usually worn, as well as the 'pork pie' hat, in the UK by 'men of a certain age' who are clinging on by their fingernails to a belief in their I’m not a ‘normie’, ‘check me out I’m a bit alternative’, ‘aren’t I quite the raffish dandy’. Usually geriatric punk rockers, left leaning romantic bohemian lifestyle fantasists. That television programme has now pushed it into normie territory. Could be worse, they could be grown men in baseball caps..

Ha ha you're right Teach, since the success of that programme newsboy caps have become more mainstream, pork pies are still a rarity though. Any clothing, even jogging bottoms and Superdry sweats, sends a message about the wearer. No one who reads this board is normal or interested in the mediocre.

A trilby, or any wide brim hat, is going to push you straight into 'chap' or eccentric territory. So what can you put on yer bonce to keep the rain or sun off?


'I'm not that keen on the Average Look .......ever'. 
John Simons

 

#10 2018-01-22 03:26:29

MCM Geography Teacher
Member
Posts: 439

Re: Peaky Blinders style

@ BBrooks - Merely my observations from wandering round my home environs of Bristol, a hyper bubble of 'kidults'. Perhaps I should clarify my use of ‘usually’ in the above, I see some who wear them in a grown up, sensible manner with say tweed overcoats and sensible shoes but overwhelmingly they fall into the previously described tribes which are essentially minor (regional London/Bristol?) variations on your ‘certain demographics’. But any move away from branded clothing has to be welcomed.

@Woofboxer. I’ve a Brooks rain hat if I get caught on the commute and a navy ribbed wool hat for colder days. To a certain extent I see this board as a celebration of normal and mediocre, but done correctly.

Last edited by MCM Geography Teacher (2018-01-22 03:39:35)


'Bill Murden becomes the hero of the day as he rescues a confused duck.'

 

#11 2018-01-22 03:29:45

Babbling Brooks
Member
Posts: 401

Re: Peaky Blinders style

Watch cap when its cold and windy
Baseballcap when its warm
Bucket cap for the rain

Thats about it for me, oh wait, beret when im boppin'


Dirty bucks I want you, dirty bucks I need you, woh-oh.

 

#12 2018-01-22 03:37:14

Kingston1an
Member
Posts: 3479

Re: Peaky Blinders style

No criminal who had made some money would persist with the Cillian Murphy pudding bowl haircut.

Even Arthur, who was supposed to be the less intelligent brother, adopted a less savage style as the series rolled on.


"Florid, smug, middle-aged golf club bore in this country I'd say. Propping up the 19th hole in deepest Surrey bemoaning the perils of immigration."

 

#13 2018-01-22 03:45:11

Kingston1an
Member
Posts: 3479

Re: Peaky Blinders style

MCM Geography Teacher wrote:

Usually worn, as well as the 'pork pie' hat, in the UK by 'men of a certain age' who are clinging on by their fingernails to a belief in their I’m not a ‘normie’, ‘check me out I’m a bit alternative’, ‘aren’t I quite the raffish dandy’. Usually geriatric punk rockers, left leaning romantic bohemian lifestyle fantasists. That television programme has now pushed it into normie territory. Could be worse, they could be grown men in baseball caps..

A Pork pie hat is a step further. See the chap in the specsavers advert who turns out to be a groovy, saxophone-playing grandad. Sorry turns out it is a Boots hearing ad with this old fecker:-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoHgbbqaO2k

A flat cap can just be something to keep the rain off unless you go in for a particularly fashion forward type. I don’t think the ones in The Edinburgh Woolen Mill fall into that category.

You could get a big Cordings style cap but that is huntin, shootin, fishin territory - rather than aging Jack the Lad. Markets are probably the best bet for the trendy hats.

Last edited by Kingston1an (2018-01-22 03:49:17)


"Florid, smug, middle-aged golf club bore in this country I'd say. Propping up the 19th hole in deepest Surrey bemoaning the perils of immigration."

 

#14 2018-01-22 03:50:15

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate
From: Staines-upon-Thames, Middlesex
Posts: 6267

Re: Peaky Blinders style

Kingston1an wrote:

No criminal who had made some money would persist with the Cillian Murphy pudding bowl haircut.

Even Arthur, who was supposed to be the less intelligent brother, adopted a less savage style as the series rolled on.

I enjoyed the clothes and the atmosphere of the sets, but I only survived a few episodes. I know its just entertainment but gypsies running around post WW1 Brum mowing their rivals down with Lewis guns in the street didn't seem very credible.


'I'm not that keen on the Average Look .......ever'. 
John Simons

 

#15 2018-01-22 03:59:10

MCM Geography Teacher
Member
Posts: 439

Re: Peaky Blinders style

MCM Geography Teacher wrote:

@Woofboxer. I’ve a Brooks rain hat if I get caught on the commute and a navy ribbed wool hat for colder days.

I also have a somewhat battered straw trilby 'dad's on holiday' type thing for the annual fortnight in the Med.


'Bill Murden becomes the hero of the day as he rescues a confused duck.'

 

#16 2018-01-22 04:29:41

chuck power
Member
From: Looking for Lewis and Clark
Posts: 801

Re: Peaky Blinders style

Kingston1an wrote:

MCM Geography Teacher wrote:

Usually worn, as well as the 'pork pie' hat, in the UK by 'men of a certain age' who are clinging on by their fingernails to a belief in their I’m not a ‘normie’, ‘check me out I’m a bit alternative’, ‘aren’t I quite the raffish dandy’. Usually geriatric punk rockers, left leaning romantic bohemian lifestyle fantasists. That television programme has now pushed it into normie territory. Could be worse, they could be grown men in baseball caps..

A Pork pie hat is a step further. See the chap in the specsavers advert who turns out to be a groovy, saxophone-playing grandad. Sorry turns out it is a Boots hearing ad with this old fecker:-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoHgbbqaO2k

A flat cap can just be something to keep the rain off unless you go in for a particularly fashion forward type. I don’t think the ones in The Edinburgh Woolen Mill fall into that category.

You could get a big Cordings style cap but that is huntin, shootin, fishin territory - rather than aging Jack the Lad. Markets are probably the best bet for the trendy hats.

The 'groovy saxophone playing Grandad' is actually Lee 'Kix' Thomson' from Madness .... cool


Who do you see? Who do you watch? Whose your leader? Which is your flock?

 

#17 2018-01-22 04:41:10

chuck power
Member
From: Looking for Lewis and Clark
Posts: 801

Re: Peaky Blinders style

And as for Peaky Blinders, I have to say you've got have dedication to have kept watching it up too now. It is rubbish of the highest order and I am constantly amazed at it's popularity. As pointed out elsewhere, it is a B+M Bargains Boardwalk Empire - with the production values of Downton Abbey and a script by the people behind Crossroads. The last series (hopefuly) really jumped the shark with Adrien Brody overacting his tits off as the leader of a caricature style of a band of Noo Yawk gangsters evidently based on the Anthill Mob. At one point, Brody attempted the incredible feat of impersonating Robert De Niro, doing a screen test for Marlon Brando playing Vito Corleone and failed miserably. All this said, it has the hypnotic appeal of a slow motion car crash and I have watched every episode ....  lol

Last edited by chuck power (2018-01-22 05:24:20)


Who do you see? Who do you watch? Whose your leader? Which is your flock?

 

#18 2018-01-22 05:04:20

Babbling Brooks
Member
Posts: 401

Re: Peaky Blinders style

Haha


Dirty bucks I want you, dirty bucks I need you, woh-oh.

 

#19 2018-01-22 05:26:45

MCM Geography Teacher
Member
Posts: 439

Re: Peaky Blinders style

^indeed. Never watched it but Chuck describes it exactly as I imagined. My teenage daughter is a fan but I believe this is mainly based on one of the male actors involved.


'Bill Murden becomes the hero of the day as he rescues a confused duck.'

 

#20 2018-01-22 05:35:25

Acton_Baby
Member
From: West London
Posts: 3733

Re: Peaky Blinders style

chuck power wrote:

And as for Peaky Blinders, I have to say you've got have dedication to have kept watching it up too now. It is rubbish of the highest order and I am constantly amazed at it's popularity. As pointed out elsewhere, it is a B+M Bargains Boardwalk Empire - with the production values of Downton Abbey and a script by the people behind Crossroads. The last series (hopefuly) really jumped the shark with Adrien Brody overacting his tits off as the leader of a caricature style of a band of Noo Yawk gangsters evidently based on the Anthill Mob. At one point, Brody attempted the incredible feat of impersonating Robert De Niro, doing a screen test for Marlon Brando playing Vito Corleone and failed miserably. All this said, it has the hypnotic appeal of a slow motion car crash and I have watched every episode ....  lol

hahahahaha.
it's a shonky old show, 'Costume Drama' for the hard of thinking.


"I have about 100 pairs of pyjamas. I like to see people dressed comfortably."
Hugh Hefner

 

#21 2018-01-22 08:36:49

Berkeley_Breathes
Moderator
From: The Great White North
Posts: 2034

Re: Peaky Blinders style

Babbling Brooks wrote:

Watch cap when its cold and windy
Baseballcap when its warm
Bucket cap for the rain

Thats about it for me, oh wait, beret when im boppin'

You could wear a flat cap for boppin' too smile

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/fc/5a/91/fc5a91ebf3aeeaed08786d97445dfee1.jpg


"I happen to believe that the 1954 decision was right. But my belief does not matter; it is now the law. Some of you may believe the decision was wrong. That does not matter - it is the law. And we both respect the law." - RFK

 

#22 2018-01-22 08:48:07

Berkeley_Breathes
Moderator
From: The Great White North
Posts: 2034

Re: Peaky Blinders style

There is something #menswear about the tweed cap here outside the UK too, to MCM's point...


https://i.pinimg.com/originals/c0/fc/d3/c0fcd3abf52472b27dd5ed3a6447697e.jpg
http://images.thesartorialist.com/thumbnails/2012/01/12212Lan1_0143Web.jpg
http://forums.filmnoirbuff.com/uploads/1266_polo-coat.jpg
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/13/cf/b7/13cfb763502feb20faae935b7acc8aea.jpg
https://i.pinimg.com/736x/a5/76/49/a57649b92aff7b0f9614c8bfec08acf4--men-with-style-man-style.jpg


"I happen to believe that the 1954 decision was right. But my belief does not matter; it is now the law. Some of you may believe the decision was wrong. That does not matter - it is the law. And we both respect the law." - RFK

 

#23 2018-01-22 08:53:22

Tomiskinky
Member
Posts: 3056

Re: Peaky Blinders style

So many people I know love it - I think I got 3 or 4 episodes in, can't watch it - just does nothing for me. The caps have become incredibly ubiquitous down here in London - and as others have said there is very much a middle age crowd who have latched onto this look, often seen at places like the Vintage Car Boot etc, they look neat but it's a little too much like dressing up - what I love about the Ivy Style is the subtlety or the showman, you can go either way - sometimes you want to stand out in madras or seersucker, other times, mooch along in tweed.


Clothes make the man - naked people have little or no influence on society! M.Twain

 

#24 2018-01-22 09:14:50

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate
From: Staines-upon-Thames, Middlesex
Posts: 6267

Re: Peaky Blinders style

Everything you need to become a real Peaky Blinder can be found here:

https://www.garrisontailors.com/

Except the guns and razor blades.


'I'm not that keen on the Average Look .......ever'. 
John Simons

 

#25 2018-01-22 09:23:29

Berkeley_Breathes
Moderator
From: The Great White North
Posts: 2034

Re: Peaky Blinders style

Tomiskinky wrote:

So many people I know love it - I think I got 3 or 4 episodes in, can't watch it - just does nothing for me. The caps have become incredibly ubiquitous down here in London - and as others have said there is very much a middle age crowd who have latched onto this look, often seen at places like the Vintage Car Boot etc, they look neat but it's a little too much like dressing up - what I love about the Ivy Style is the subtlety or the showman, you can go either way - sometimes you want to stand out in madras or seersucker, other times, mooch along in tweed.

I agree, Tom...


"I happen to believe that the 1954 decision was right. But my belief does not matter; it is now the law. Some of you may believe the decision was wrong. That does not matter - it is the law. And we both respect the law." - RFK

 

Board footer

Powered by PunBB
© Copyright 2002–2008 Rickard Andersson