You are not logged in.

#1 2022-12-16 06:12:47

Tworussellstreet

Older better

Older is always better, no? When it comes to the Ivy Look what is better now than is was back in the day? Some will say general availability but all the great American makers were still in business in the 70s and 80s, churning out masses of great Americana. It was hard to get hold of in the UK for sure, and it was often expensive, but it actually existed. Shoes, proper Ivy sack suits and jackets, shirts, T-shirts, underwear, the whole kit - it was all better than what you get now. Places like Drakes make a version of it at absurd prices, but it's not the same, it has that Anglo-Italian twist. Pleasant, but not Real Ivy. Someone please offer a counter-argument to my fogeyish, but firmly held, take on the paucity of the modern menswear market.

#2 2022-12-16 06:52:10

AlveySinger

Re: Older better

Really interesting point.

Older has the correct detail and purchased second hand is cheaper than new. You also getting the authentic cut rather than something hybrid.

It's getting hold of it in guaranteed good condition and in the right size that is the problem.

You're also right about brands such as Drakes make a "version" of it. Take, for a moment, the price out of the equation. What you have left is too neat fitting. Ivy above all should be comfortable. Chest drapes should allow for easy movement. Shirts should be soft and comfortable to wear from your home in Westchester through to your office in mid town and back home in time for a martini.

Ivy continues to inspire designers but sometimes their tinkering destroys it.

#3 2022-12-16 08:46:36

colin
Bright Light

Always a danger of generalising, but yes agreed. Sadly the days of finding stuff for a couple of quid on eBay USA are long gone. Then you could pick up everything from mid-50s to mid/late-60s cuts which tended to be fair better made than now. That's not to say I've not been underwhelmed by some boom years stuff - usually fabrics - but over about a decade I slowly amassed more stuff than I'll need for decades. Makers shirts still good into 80s. Shetlands the only exception?

#4 2022-12-16 09:15:16

FlatSixC

The availability of jazz music? Via streaming services of course and lacking the tangibility of vinyl or CD, so wouldn’t qualify.

How about the LL Bean Norwegian fisherman sweater? The old one I’ve got is a wool/poly mix, but a few years they changed to 100% wool and they’re still made in Norway. That’s the only thing I can readily think of that’s (possibly) actually better than it once was.

There’s the odd thing that are still good if you’re willing to stump up large amounts of cash, like Alden shoes, but whether they are still as good as they once were, I don’t know enough to say.

I’ll have to think about this, but overall I share your pessimistic view, everything in the West appears to be in decline.

#5 2022-12-16 10:06:02

An Unseen Scene

I'm fed up of the looking back, we see the enhanced risk around us all, I'm just getting on and adapting

What's the alternative?

Fings Ain't Wot They Used T'Be

It is a style of clothing that peaked sixty years ago, what else should we expect than it to fade away?

Ted's complaining at the lack of drainpipe trousers

We are the lucky ones, I'm not moaning

We have more clothes of our choice than we need, we are warm and dry

Nostalgia is a dead end, the world moves on without us

My father in law died a week ago suddenly at 65 and his clothes stay unworn in his cupboard

Our herringbone sack jackets and Oxford shirts will end up the same

It is ultimately just clothes, if supply dried up - we would manage until it didn't matter

No time to lose

Last edited by An Unseen Scene (2022-12-16 10:08:37)

#6 2022-12-16 10:26:32

Tworussellstreet

Wow. Unseen Scene. That's pretty profound stuff. These days I too can find my thoughts moving along similar lines, kind of repulsed by the obsession with trivialities and consumption we see all around us. My mum died this year, my partner of 50 years old had a disabling very serious stroke 3 years ago. Life gets deeper and sadder as we age, and our old obsessions get re-prioritised. That said I still fill my head with all this clothes nonsense from time to time. It's the fripperies that help give life a little tingle, that spice it up.

#7 2022-12-16 10:50:00

An Unseen Scene

Thanks. I've just changed career at 53, had serious illness around me and then that passing. Our world and way of life is ever more precarious. The old illusion of stability is gone, in my view not to return

I'm also deeply involved in global energy and that's a tough sector to navigate now it is more obviously a military tool (I was in Rus5ia in 2004 advising them and ex Sovi3t states how to export gas to West for our government).

So enjoy what we have and celebrate how we can live

Last edited by An Unseen Scene (2022-12-16 11:19:19)

#8 2022-12-16 11:12:19

colin
Bright Light

Agreed - at the end of the day, just clothes. Not serious stuff.
Always a danger in nostalgia - longing for a past that probably didn't quite exist.

That said, generally speaking, clothes aren't made anywhere near as enduring these days. Again a crude generalisation though.

Had an old bean Norwegian sweater. Itchy as hell. Could be tempted by a 100% cotton

#9 2022-12-16 12:06:20

RobbieB

My clothes obsession is a form of escapism for me. I no longer recognise the world around me. The last few years has knocked me off balance so I turn to what I can enjoy while I can. Health is all important and we all have to face up to how precarious life is.

I know from my waldrobe that the clothes from 30 odd years ago were made better than they are today. And not just Ivy stuff.

2RS- You have opened a can of worms with this thread. Ha
And soon some of us will be sleeping with the fishes

Last edited by RobbieB (2022-12-16 12:08:01)

'I am a closet optimist' Leonard Cohen.

#10 2022-12-16 13:19:53

colin
Bright Light

I think that is similar for a lot of people, RobbieB.

I really appreciate the quality of some of my old sack jackets and suits - as well as all the ivy details, of course. A late 50s Southwick herringbone tweed is a good example. Likewise, old second hand bespoke ivy suits I've picked up cheaply.

I must admit, I also find the backstory to some of the old Gant shirts or whatever kind of fascinating....those small town department stores tagged inside or what have you. That said, points about nostalgia still stand!

#11 2022-12-17 05:20:51

RobbieB

I realized this morning, that yesterday, I was wearing a Jaeger, Made in Britain, jumper over 20 years old and still as good as new. And I wear it often at home. I expect nothing I buy today to last even 10 years.

#12 2022-12-17 06:31:23

Yuca

Talking of life style changes, I returned to the tropics this year, but this time to a slightly cooler area than previously. Cotton sweaters do come in useful. (Even over a t shirt they're sufficient. Whereas in England for most of the year I need a vest (undershirt), cotton BD and wool sweater just for indoors.)

Which brings me to my point: were sweatshirts available in such a variety of colours back in the day? I thought they were just in grey marl, but it's not something I've actually researched. Now they come in all sorts of delightful tones - maybe a sartorial advantage to the present day in comparison to the past.

Something else: back in the day if you couldn't be bothered to shave it was a bold statement. And not a good one. Whereas nowadays you can invest less time in your appearance (shaving, ironing, shoe care) and still look more groomed than most. Which has its advantages as well as its disadvantages.

some sort of banal legitimacy

#13 2022-12-17 08:08:22

Spendthrift

Robbie - ‘I expect nothing I buy today to last even 10 years’
It’s ironic that many of the retailers that jumped on the disposable fashion bandwagon are going under at an alarming rate. While mid range high street stores with a decent online presence seem to be just about hanging on.
I don’t know how higher end stores (JS, Drakes etc.) are doing compared with their own figures say, a decade ago, but to some extent they must have been hit by the influx of relatively cheap merino and cashmere thats flooded the place? Merino particularly used to be something you’d expect to pay top dollar for and expect it to look new for years but has now become almost disposable.
The only ‘new’ clothes shops I see opening tend to be the ones selling vintage. And a lot of their stock is questionable.

Yuca - shaving’s a funny one. I love the ritual of a traditional double edged shave. And it’s great to be free of all that triple blade, ergonomic turbo sales hype and associated plastic waste and cost. But once I’ve missed a day, I’m probably going to miss a working week.
If my shirt’s not going to be hidden under a crew it’s got to be ironed. And I probably polish my shoes more than I wear them.
Sweats I definitely remember being only grey or maybe navy, but if anyone knows better I’m happy to be proved wrong.

#14 2022-12-17 08:45:33

RobbieB

Earlier today I was chatting with the missus about her previous jobs. She worked for Jaeger and later for Next. She remarked, unprompted, that I still own 20 year old clothes from Jaeger but anything bought from Next has long since disappeared. Jaeger was of course back then made in UK and more expensive but Next outsourced their manufacturing quite early and it shows. 'You get what you pay for' used to be a saying once upon a time. Jaeger eventually went bankrupt but Next remains one of the few clothes shops on the high street.  I'm not really knocking Next (I'm a shareholder). I just think they probably understand their customers better than some other retailers. We became a throwaway society. Primark is the busiest shop on the Southend high street!

#15 2022-12-17 09:01:12

FlatSixC

Sweatshirts were originally for warming up before sport or going to the gym. Then the shell suit changed everything and sportswear became multi coloured.

On bygone quality; I once worked as an instructor at a training establishment where, as used to be traditional at defence and civil service training establishments throughout the UK, Wednesday afternoon was sports afternoon. Many instructors treated this as an afternoon off and a chance to  get some shuteye, until we were told that we were expected to participate with the trainees. One or two bleated that the job should provide us with sportswear, so after a few weeks we all received navy blue Umbro tracksuits which were considered to be extremely naff at the time, as the shell suit was at its zenith. However, looking back the quality of that Umbro stuff was superb. The trousers gave up after a while, but I used the jacket to cycle to work in every winter for about thirty years and washed it a million times, I only threw it away last year when the zip parted from the cloth.

#16 2022-12-19 07:34:37

Kingston1an

Yes. Older clothing was usually better quality. This was not limited to Ivy. You could get a High Street tailor to make you a garment in a wide choice of fabric for not much money. If you asked for what we called an 'off centre vent' they would do it.

Ben Sherman poly cotton was usually better quality than American polycotton though you got sewn up box pleats and darts as well.

Marks and Spencer were in their pomp for traditional clothing. Good knitwear from unsung Midlands suppliers. Harris Tweed etc. Ninety per cent 'Made in UK' too.

Then they started believing their own publicity and branching out.  Branding was dropped too.

As we used to sing in primary school on March 17th :-

'Hail glorious Saint Michael, dear Saint of our aisle,
On us they poor children bestow a sweet smile.'

"Florid, smug, middle-aged golf club bore in this country I'd say. Propping up the 19th hole in deepest Surrey bemoaning the perils of immigration."

#17 2022-12-19 13:02:54

FlatSixC

Occasionally the odd button dow M&S shirt from the Brook Brothers ownership era crops up on eBay, generally cheap.

#18 2022-12-20 05:37:38

Staxfan

Kingston1an - 'If you asked for what we called an 'off centre vent' they would do it.'

I also had a suit made with an off centre vent,(1969) ,  probably the only Ivy detail on the navy blue mohair suit !

#19 2022-12-20 10:00:01

Kingston1an

Stax,

My younger brother was similar. He had the vent and the patch pockets. Nobody mentioned shoulders or three rolled to two. It was not immediately obvious from watching 'The Fugitive' on telly either.

"Florid, smug, middle-aged golf club bore in this country I'd say. Propping up the 19th hole in deepest Surrey bemoaning the perils of immigration."

#20 2023-01-03 08:53:26

AlveySinger

House of Fraser in Birmingham was previously known as Rackhams.

It was truly a lovely store that was very much about quality merchandise.

It sold everything from luxury towels and silverware through to food and B&O tv's.

Porters would wear those brown 3/4 jackets beloved by wood working teachers and  a commissioner guarded the front door.

I remember that their knitwear was very good. Mainly made in Scotland. A big mainstay was the Sabre brand. They got rid of either Pringle or Lyle and Scott as it was the target of light fingered casuals.

To get the same quality of knitwear these days requires significant effort/hunting around for.

Writing this has made me acknowledge the sad state of British manufacturing. Where are Christy towels and Sanderson bedding now made? Do they even exist?

#21 2023-01-03 09:44:13

RobbieB

I feel your pain!

#22 2023-01-04 09:47:13

Dulouz

Not that older, but more than 7 years...dug out the green Harry Stedman oxford with chest flap pocket and John Simons equivalent striped one in blue & white back when he had a supplier was making the cuffs too tight on the wrists.

Haven't sported them since the middle of 2015. I had put some weight as well, which made them too small, but now I'm back big time at my fighting weight. It took me all of 5-6 years to get back there.

#23 2023-01-07 07:31:31

Kingston1an

Wearing an old M&S trenchcoat. Bought years ago in one of the New Year sales. Keeps the rain off - a decent length and still sound after all these years.

I notice Kingston Marks offer the Jaeger brand for overcoats and raincoats now. I still prefer my old trench coat though. Elsewhere in Marks polyester reigns supreme. You have to check the labels on some of the stuff though as it's a passable effort.

#24 2023-01-07 08:31:25

RobbieB

I still pop into M &S in Southend or Stratford and I recently bought some boxer shorts which are a good fit. Pack of 3 about £20.
My missus worked for Jaeger and I have noticed that M & S bought the name and are trying to offer a small selection of clothes for the ladies

#25 2023-01-07 08:33:59

RobbieB

My main reason to visit M &S is for the prawn sandwiches. I have been addicted to them for 35 years

Board footer