You are not logged in.

#1 2009-07-14 14:35:47

Staceyboy
Ivy Archivist
Posts: 936

Stanley Blacker at Cecil Gee

Wanted to share this one with you as firstly its a lovely blazer and secondly we rarely get to see the New York - London style crossover by way of period British advertisments. And btw, in the context of the six degrees of separation vibe the ad is from a magazine previously owned by the great JS. The May 1965 edition of "Town" for all you fact fans.

Staceyboy

http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/5894/cg1l.jpg

 

#2 2009-07-14 15:30:13

One Trick Pony
Member
Posts: 530

Re: Stanley Blacker at Cecil Gee

I'd prefer horn buttons; otherwise - handsome.

 

#3 2009-07-15 00:55:04

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...
Posts: 342

Re: Stanley Blacker at Cecil Gee

Top!

JS reported here a while back via Mr. Gibson Gardens that SB was also in Austin's.

'Andsome.

 

#4 2009-07-15 01:29:17

Alex Roest
Member
From: The Hague, The Netherlands
Posts: 2165

Re: Stanley Blacker at Cecil Gee

Excellent stuff, I could use some of that for the Ivy in London article.

 

#5 2009-07-15 04:44:32

Prof Kelp
Professor of Ivy
Posts: 1033

Re: Stanley Blacker at Cecil Gee

Great pic Staceyboy. This represents my fave "Ivy" style look.

Interesting to note that it's a maturer model being used. Wonder how that related with the "youthful" mod ideal of the time when we think of "Ivy's" influence on that style.

Wish Cecil Gee was stocking that stuff back in the 70's, or then again I would have walked straight past it, called it old fashioned and plumped for the sidepocket, brushed denim Brutus jeans!!!

 

#6 2009-07-15 05:15:53

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...
Posts: 342

Re: Stanley Blacker at Cecil Gee

... If you have a PhD on the boil then you could deconstruct that Ad.  ...

'Traditional'? - Not in England, Chum.

Etc.

... ... ... ...


- Note that the main selling point is that this is American style in London.


- And why the 'older' model?


Because Ivy was never kids' stuff over here?   How many kids could really afford all those rare US imports?


If you were a kid who wore Ivy in '65 you were identifying yourself with a much bigger world than Moddy London...



Alex?

 

#7 2009-07-15 05:28:02

Prof Kelp
Professor of Ivy
Posts: 1033

Re: Stanley Blacker at Cecil Gee

Russell_Street wrote:

...

- And why the 'older' model?


Because Ivy was never kids' stuff over here?   How many kids could really afford all those rare US imports?


If you were a kid who wore Ivy in '65 you were identifying yourself with a much bigger world than Moddy London...

Yes, thats a good point.

I never asked "why" the older model, just noted it was an older model. I'm thinking about how youth (especially in the 60's) was distancing itself from an "older" generation. So therefore I was wondering if seeing clothes like these, that were aspired to amongst some youth, being modelled by an older guy, would have in fact put them off it. Maybe for some it did, maybe for others its what attracted them to them. Like you say " a bigger world than Moddy London..."

It would be nice to hear from some of the guys around at the time.

 

#8 2009-07-15 05:36:55

Staceyboy
Ivy Archivist
Posts: 936

Re: Stanley Blacker at Cecil Gee

Kids lucky enough to rub (natural) shoulders with an older, more affluent group of guys? The fabled go-getting young execs - those perhaps having even been to New York on business? David Putnam was on the radio the other day describing his formative years in such a way. Those working in advertising or the entertainment industry? The stylish metropolitan homosexual milieu? Many a young nose must have regularly pressed longingly against the windows of Austin's and Cecil Gee of a weekend.

Staceyboy

 

#9 2009-07-15 05:37:29

Alex Roest
Member
From: The Hague, The Netherlands
Posts: 2165

Re: Stanley Blacker at Cecil Gee

Russell_Street wrote:

- Note that the main selling point is that this is American style in London.


- And why the 'older' model?


Because Ivy was never kids' stuff over here?   How many kids could really afford all those rare US imports?


If you were a kid who wore Ivy in '65 you were identifying yourself with a much bigger world than Moddy London...



Alex?

I won't reveal what I have to say on the above because I want to save it for the article. All of it will be answered in due time as I ( will have ) got enough info to do so. I'll start working on it next week actually but I won't be able to finish it until one of my main sources will have posted his thoughts. As mentioned before I'm sure to be doing a good job on this though....

 

#10 2009-07-15 05:40:54

The Beatnik
Member
Posts: 392

Re: Stanley Blacker at Cecil Gee

Growing up in the sixties with 3 older, clothes mad brothers. They wouldn't have looked twice at that ad. It was aimed at older men of course. My Dad might have fancied that blazer, but unless you were a bit of an 'young fogey', you really wouldn't have been at all interested.
The sixties was the time you broke away from dressing like your ould fella and found your own identity man!

 

#11 2009-07-15 05:58:10

One Trick Pony
Member
Posts: 530

Re: Stanley Blacker at Cecil Gee

The Beatnik wrote:

Growing up in the sixties with 3 older, clothes mad brothers. They wouldn't have looked twice at that ad. It was aimed at older men of course. My Dad might have fancied that blazer, but unless you were a bit of an 'young fogey', you really wouldn't have been at all interested.
The sixties was the time you broke away from dressing like your ould fella and found your own identity man!

That's what makes it so appealing now.  I had a sage green lambswool J.Press blazer that looked very much like the blazer in the ad (buttons aside, I hasten to add), and I might not have looked twice at it ten or a dozen years ago.  I was still too interested, then, in my Levis and polo shirts.  This must have been a look aimed at a tiny minority in England: outward-looking to the nth degree:  John Simons, Paddy: one's mentors (speaking purely personally, you understand).

 

#12 2009-07-15 06:27:03

Prof Kelp
Professor of Ivy
Posts: 1033

Re: Stanley Blacker at Cecil Gee

The Beatnik wrote:

Growing up in the sixties with 3 older, clothes mad brothers. They wouldn't have looked twice at that ad. It was aimed at older men of course. My Dad might have fancied that blazer, but unless you were a bit of an 'young fogey', you really wouldn't have been at all interested.
The sixties was the time you broke away from dressing like your ould fella and found your own identity man!

Thats my point. That is the percieved notion of what "yoof" would have reacted like back then. But there were obviously exceptions as J Simmons and his mates testify to this. Thats the bit I find interesting. Going against the all pervading notion of Swinging London.

 

#13 2009-07-15 06:30:24

One Trick Pony
Member
Posts: 530

Re: Stanley Blacker at Cecil Gee

Prof Kelp wrote:

The Beatnik wrote:

Growing up in the sixties with 3 older, clothes mad brothers. They wouldn't have looked twice at that ad. It was aimed at older men of course. My Dad might have fancied that blazer, but unless you were a bit of an 'young fogey', you really wouldn't have been at all interested.
The sixties was the time you broke away from dressing like your ould fella and found your own identity man!

Thats my point. That is the percieved notion of what "yoof" would have reacted like back then. But there were obviously exceptions as J Simmons and his mates testify to this. Thats the bit I find interesting. Going against the all pervading notion of Swinging London.

My impression is, these cats were swinging.  Different tunes, but swinging.  And it's lasted.  'Swinging' London was just marketing bollocks.  A few good movies, then what?  Self-indulgence.  'Mod'.  'Alfie' and 'The Ipcress File'.  Fuck's sake, as Hewitt would say.

 

#14 2009-07-15 06:39:37

Prof Kelp
Professor of Ivy
Posts: 1033

Re: Stanley Blacker at Cecil Gee

I like Alfie! Though I can see why you say self-indulgent in a broader London sense.....what movies do you rate from then??

 

#15 2009-07-15 06:54:30

The Beatnik
Member
Posts: 392

Re: Stanley Blacker at Cecil Gee

Ponyboy. You don't take out full page ads to appeal to a 'tiny minority'. Hoping you will sell a dozen jackets to the cognoscenti. This ad was aimed at a huge market of affluent, professional older men.

 

#16 2009-07-15 06:58:34

Prof Kelp
Professor of Ivy
Posts: 1033

Re: Stanley Blacker at Cecil Gee

Perhaps for some, like Miles before them, and to borrow from Huey Lewis and the News, It was hip to "look" square?

 

#17 2009-07-15 06:58:42

Alex Roest
Member
From: The Hague, The Netherlands
Posts: 2165

Re: Stanley Blacker at Cecil Gee

The Beatnik wrote:

You don't take out full page ads to appeal to a 'tiny minority'. Hoping you will sell a dozen jackets to the cognoscenti. This ad was aimed at a huge market of affluent, professional older men.

Good comment, with your permission I think I'll use it in one way or another smile

 

#18 2009-07-15 07:34:53

Staceyboy
Ivy Archivist
Posts: 936

Re: Stanley Blacker at Cecil Gee

Prof Kelp wrote:

I like Alfie! Though I can see why you say self-indulgent in a broader London sense.....what movies do you rate from then??

Tell you one of my faves, Prof. "Nothing but the best" from 1964. A sharp, cynical and very funny film IMHO. Pretty much forgotten now it seems. Denholm Elliott, Alan Bates and Millicent Martin et al.

Staceyboy

 

#19 2009-07-15 07:50:59

adam!
The Future
Posts: 608

Re: Stanley Blacker at Cecil Gee

that jacket...just looks like it doesn't fit him...looks kind of baggy

 

#20 2009-07-15 07:56:36

Alex Roest
Member
From: The Hague, The Netherlands
Posts: 2165

Re: Stanley Blacker at Cecil Gee

adam! wrote:

that jacket...just looks like it doesn't fit him...looks kind of baggy

That's the idea of the sack jacket, Adam. The thing is if you think you can use it to your advantage though.....

 

#21 2009-07-15 08:00:32

1966
1,966% Ivy
Posts: 2378

Re: Stanley Blacker at Cecil Gee

^ Some sacks are less full in the body though.


Here's 10 minutes of the movie Staceyboy mentioned. Good stuff Staceyboy.


38S | 15/32 | 32/28 | US 8.5D/UK 8E
_______________________________

It is a pleasure to be able to quote lines to fit any occasion. ~ Abraham Lincoln

 

#22 2009-07-15 08:05:32

adam!
The Future
Posts: 608

Re: Stanley Blacker at Cecil Gee

Alex Roest wrote:

adam! wrote:

that jacket...just looks like it doesn't fit him...looks kind of baggy

That's the idea of the sack jacket, Adam. The thing is if you think you can use it to your advantage though.....

yes, i know but the sack jacket needn't actually fit like a sack.

 

#23 2009-07-15 08:10:42

Suitedbooted2000
Member
Posts: 577

Re: Stanley Blacker at Cecil Gee

Prof Kelp wrote:

Russell_Street wrote:

...

- And why the 'older' model?


Because Ivy was never kids' stuff over here?   How many kids could really afford all those rare US imports?


If you were a kid who wore Ivy in '65 you were identifying yourself with a much bigger world than Moddy London...

Yes, thats a good point.

I never asked "why" the older model, just noted it was an older model. I'm thinking about how youth (especially in the 60's) was distancing itself from an "older" generation. So therefore I was wondering if seeing clothes like these, that were aspired to amongst some youth, being modelled by an older guy, would have in fact put them off it. Maybe for some it did, maybe for others its what attracted them to them. Like you say " a bigger world than Moddy London..."

It would be nice to hear from some of the guys around at the time.

agreed a good points,

always great to see ads of the time even if it point in a differnt direction e.g non- moddy make it even more appealing to look at.

i great to step away some times from what you know and take a fresh look at things.


Lewis

 

#24 2009-07-15 08:11:22

Alex Roest
Member
From: The Hague, The Netherlands
Posts: 2165

Re: Stanley Blacker at Cecil Gee

adam! wrote:

yes, i know but the sack jacket needn't actually fit like a sack.

Indeed, a younger bloke would have worn that jacket in a slightly different fashion I think.

 

#25 2009-07-15 08:18:46

Suitedbooted2000
Member
Posts: 577

Re: Stanley Blacker at Cecil Gee

1966 wrote:

^ Some sacks are less full in the body though.


Here's 10 minutes of the movie Staceyboy mentioned. Good stuff Staceyboy.

a great video, just finsh watching it now,

i like the line, The some smashing stuff in this world and I WANT THEM, ONE DAY

Last edited by Suitedbooted2000 (2009-07-15 08:25:47)

 

Board footer

Powered by PunBB
© Copyright 2002–2008 Rickard Andersson