You are not logged in.

#1 2009-09-06 10:30:58

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

A Visit To J. Simons II

From 'Behind The Scenes': A young guy who I'd rate as one of the bright lights of The New Breed -

"I went into J Simons on Saturday, and have to say it was a great experience. I spent the best part of an hour, probably more, talking with the guys in there and looking round. The longest I've ever spent in a shop no doubt.

Sadly, I was told there were no shirts that would fit my chest. I tried the new J Simons chinos, and the fit in the thigh and legs is perfect for the fairly slim (and I've got pretty big thighs for my build). The only downside (which is an upside for most costumers I'm sure) are that the rise was pretty high (I think this is because most guys my age wear very low rise jeans and whilst I find low rise jeans to be ridiculous, they were too high for what I'm used to, for the time being at least). Spent a long time umming and ahring whether to go for them, went for a quick drink and got called away by my brother so couldn't go back! I'm sure I'll regret it....

However, the guys in there were brilliant, friendly and honest and funny also. A lovely place to go to.

John's eyes seem to light up as I mentionned how I'm really liking ivy, almost as if he's excited that a young guy was inspired by the look. Suggested that with my hair and look, almost looked like a 60s american actor (forgotten the name) but a great compliment to receive!

They did appreciate that I asked if I could have a look around. John mentioned that they get a lot of attitude from people every now and again, the non-regulars. Nice how when someone came in, he would see what they a looking for, give some good advice, and just let them get on with it, rather than hassle them with everything as you get from almost every other shop.

Anyway, just thought I'd let you know it was a great experience taking it all in."

... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ...

I loved this bit especially:

"John's eyes seem to light up as I mentioned how I'm really liking ivy, almost as if he's excited that a young guy was inspired by the look."

That sums up London Ivy very well I think. It's an open door for everyone.

#2 2009-09-06 10:49:27

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

Re: A Visit To J. Simons II

More just in from our Bright Light:

"It's most definately cool if people notice that you are well-dressed, yet it's that subtle detail or edge which most people are unfamiliar with in the UK. Those in the know can appreciate that natural coolness, rather than someone wearing a tonic suit for example! Saying that Daniele on here and modculture is clearly the coolest guy in the world regardless of wearing a sack or an italian cut suit."

#3 2009-09-06 11:01:02

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

Re: A Visit To J. Simons II

... I remember walking into the Cambridge Andover Shop and telling them 'Believe it or not I've come all the way from London just to visit you' and they lit up too...

Everybody loves a fellow enthusiast.

No attitudes, just being on the same wavelength is all it takes.

Board footer