You are not logged in.

#1 2009-12-13 02:48:40

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

Elements Of 'Heavy Ivy': Downtown.

Down-filled jackets / Parkas / Gillets (sp?) - For that American Werewolf in London look, amongst other things.

Any thoughts or pointers?   What to wear?  How to wear it?  Where to buy it?

I'm slightly tempted by a kinda retro-LL Bean vibe this morning.

Tough.
Warm.
Practical.

Any takers?

Ta!

#2 2009-12-13 02:49:52

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

Re: Elements Of 'Heavy Ivy': Downtown.

http://www.pinkraygun.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/51bktpvnfwl.jpg

#3 2009-12-13 03:05:41

The Ace Face

No, I digged the film, especially Jenny Agutter, the last time she had sex appeal. But those jackets always looked too plastic for my taste.  I remember them being popular sometime in the early/mid-80's, but not to apprentice style councillors.

And I wouldn't wear one now.

Draped and sculpted hep cat suit - as worn by His Royal Hepness, Cab Calloway

#4 2009-12-13 03:12:42

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

'Synthetic' sums them up very well - Busting the '100% Natural Fibers' myth nicely.

Tom Wolfe wrote about 'The Down-Filled People': His cartoon which went with the piece seemed to show something very like Redwings along with the look.

Looking back on Wolfe, those cartoons of his are far better than his writings...

#5 2009-12-13 03:15:00

The Ace Face

Yeah, I remember back in the late 80's and early '90's his name was being dropped by everyone, his style sucked.

Draped and sculpted hep cat suit - as worn by His Royal Hepness, Cab Calloway

#6 2009-12-13 05:48:38

Staceyboy
Ivy Archivist

http://thetownoutside.tumblr.com

#7 2009-12-13 06:13:05

Kingstonian

Bright Nevica ski jackets used to be worn in 80s. Nobody wears ski jackets as casual clothes now. On the slopes they are for people trying to be ironic or funny almost like skiing dressed as Elvis.

Snorkel parkas were for schoolkids and pickets around braziers in the Winter of Discontent.

Americans are just not very good at overcoats in my opinion. You could get a Mackinaw but then you would look like a hard hat.

If a classic Crombie is too formal get a British raglan sleeve coat. Even a field coat is OK. Warm but no wax jacket Barbour associations.

Avoid those quilted diamond eiderdown coats that some people are wearing. They are for posh wannabees.

Board footer