You are not logged in.

#1 2009-04-30 06:42:19

Just Jim

Rejection & Acceptance?

#2 2009-04-30 07:01:57

The_Shooman
A pretty face

Re: Rejection & Acceptance?

l can't answer the question but l can see some resemblance of some posters here with actors in old black and white American films. Brownshoe looks like alot of old lvy blokes on the telly.

How would you classify Dick Sargents clothes in the old show `bewitched'? (l think Sargents suits always looked better than Dick Yorks).

l turn the topic over to you guys now.

#3 2009-04-30 08:59:39

Decline & Fall
Ivyist At Large

"I like bars just after they open in the evening. When the air inside is still cool and clean and everything is shiny. The first quiet drink of the evening in a quiet bar-that's wonderful."
— Raymond Chandler

#4 2009-04-30 11:39:17

SubtleCool
Ivy, but subtle with it.

Individualism is the spur. But not in some goth way...

First when becoming a mod back in the day and now in the middle ages, I wanted something different that referenced that and would be subtly different. Mixing Ivy stuff with Euro seems the way for me. I remember years back, when I was about 19 or so and on holiday in Italy, seeing a group of middle aged guys sitting outside a small bar, just mooching, watching the girls go by etc and checking the clothes they were wearing, chukkas and loafers, soft scarves. Knowing that that was the way to grow older with style and grace. I couldn't put my finger on it at the time but in retrospect they were showing off without actually showing off.

But going back to the OP, I think mine was a sort of rejection too but rather of the status quo than anything else and continues to be so. A covert rejection from which you can then build so many positives. There's a lot of knocking of 'mods' on this forum but I credit it personally for leading me to so many things, including ivy, jazz, the nouvelle vague, all sorts of art and architecture.

When there is talk of 'suss' on here that's what I think of, the desire to know things, to incorporate them and learn how to discriminate.

Me? Conspicuous? Lady, I'm the invisible man.

#5 2009-04-30 11:41:33

Hard Bop Hank
Ivy Soul Brother

wise words...

“No Room For Squares”
”All political art is bad – all good art is political.”
"Would there be any freedom of press or speech if one must reduce his vocabulary to vapid innocuous euphemisms?"

#6 2009-04-30 11:44:05

chetmiles

Only 'cartoons', Subtle, only 'cut-outs'.  Every original mod on here gets our respect second to none.

#7 2009-04-30 11:46:08

Just Jim

We are a bit funny about "Mods" over here it's true.

Take away the quotation marks and we're all much easier.

Online "Mod" is just such an... Oh I dunno.

Sha-la-la-la-lee, mate!  wink

#8 2009-04-30 12:08:24

SubtleCool
Ivy, but subtle with it.

My favourite mods looked on it as a beginning rather than an end.

Me? Conspicuous? Lady, I'm the invisible man.

#9 2009-04-30 12:20:19

chetmiles

Good comment.

#10 2009-04-30 12:21:55

Just Jim

#11 2009-04-30 13:33:09

Alex Roest

#12 2009-12-16 03:14:41

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

Worth a bump?

#13 2009-12-17 02:41:37

claudio

So many people from the 'outside' , especially, but not only the U.S. Americans, never quite got MOD, basing their thoughts on what media, film, and weekend carnaby street tickets portray them to be. Of course many mods also believe this and thus just add to the whole missenterpretation of it. Actually, it isnt a miss enterpretation because there is no CORRECT one. MOD boundaries are ever so flexible. But it goes far beyond all the above and often blends and mixes with top, unsuspecting stylists out there.

Afterall, these guys are on about well cut suits (of the english, american and italian variety), quality fabrics (well, most of the time, and again leave the plastic to the plastics), jazz, blues and all things cool. And in theory, it's a YOUTH culture! How can anyone mock this is beyond me.

So, Just Jim, seems to me you are very much in the same boat as most MODS, you just havent realised it because you thought mod was Sha la la la lee and not TAKE FIVE.

#14 2009-12-17 02:58:47

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

I do have a funny overlap with those guys...

I wonder why I find it a bit strange for me?

- And I have to say that they've always been most welcoming to me. Tweedy little oddity that I am!

Best,

#15 2009-12-17 03:13:00

claudio

Could it be because they often have the same tastes as you, same likes and dislikes (generally speaking here), but (too) many mods stop before general, massified brands, and close them selves in a nut shell of 'thats too Joe public' whilst you are not in it to be different/individualistic but because you like certain clothes style, and you look for eactly what pleases you even if it is mainstream.

Also, Mods never like it when 'outsiders' look in (as far as forums, media and the like are concerned). Can be uptight at times

#16 2009-12-17 03:15:35

Alex Roest

Last edited by Alex Roest (2009-12-17 05:27:18)

#17 2009-12-17 04:06:14

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

Board footer