You are not logged in.

• Index
  •  » Talk Ivy
  •  » Do You Keep Your Best Ivy Bits For Best Then Never Wear Them?

#1 2010-01-20 07:31:14

TheWeejun

Do You Keep Your Best Ivy Bits For Best Then Never Wear Them?

Or is it just me.

This behaviour started as a nipper when such clothes only existed second hand or were too expensive to buy new for JS or Ivy Shop. I'd buy something awesome and then put it away for 'best' and best never seems to come around. Meanwhile countless pairs of 501s, not quite so nice shirts, etc get worn and worn out thrown away and replaced.

For many years I thought I was cured of it and just wore everything regardless but a couple of lost and worn out gems being impossible to replace exactly has made me realise I've started doing that again.

These include:

Vintage Gant and Sero BDs
Vintage Lacoste G9 - with proper scalloped cut pocket flaps and tall collar, pink madras type lining
Bass Weejun 2 eyelet laceups thrifted on Wilshire Blvd in 98, mega rare and worn about 5 times since
Crockett & Jones cream and tan calf red sole bucks for RL Polo - RRP $500 bought for £10 from C&J factory shop hardly worn
Corbin grey herringbone cashmere 3/2 jacket with all the right trimmings
Original navy Scott & Charters wool polo shirt from westaway in 1986
A pair of original Halrin poly mix madras shorts made from trews bought from JS in 1984 that were too short so turned in awesome bermudas (now you can find similar anywhere but in the 80s/90s london they were 'rad'

this is just the tip of an iceberg of stuff. Don't even get me started on the shoes.

I reckon from what others post on what you're wearing today, you guys probably do the same?

"Mr. Weejun is a beast." 1966
www.theweejun.com
theweejun.tumblr.com

#2 2010-01-20 08:10:19

Moose Maclennan
Ivy Inspiration

Re: Do You Keep Your Best Ivy Bits For Best Then Never Wear Them?

It's all there to be worn. Maybe not worn into the ground, but worn nonetheless.
In another life I'd have been that guy with a stable of classic cars. Mine is the low-budget version of 'Top Gear'...

It is important to spread the load on older clothes and shoes. There is no such thing as a small vintage wardrobe, at least not one with any degree of longevity.

I do however fret about the potential damage moths, rips or indelible stains could do sad

#3 2010-01-20 08:36:23

Big Tony

It is normal to keep a "sunday best" outfit which gets worn rarely. I think it shows maturity and sensitivity (towards the items) to do so. Careless, wasteful, selfish people wear the shit out of stuff without any thought to its quality. Would you want to be one of those people?

"What sort of post-apocalyptic deathscape is this?"
"I don't want to look like a cock hungry sailor after all !!!"
"When it comes to infidelity, broken families, and reckless fatherhood, the underclass are amateurs."

#4 2010-01-20 09:11:05

Natural Sole Brother
Ivy, naturally.

As my old dad said to me:

"Look after your shoes, son, and they'll look after you."

#5 2010-01-20 10:55:55

farrago
Ambassador Of Ivy

I only avoid wearing my ancient Brooks and Mercer shirts with any regularity. These are saved for dressier occasions.

#6 2010-01-20 11:03:06

1,966% Ivy

I wear the lot. I don't mind some wear and a tear here and there and I love a bit of patina but I am nursing a healthy fear of stains. Stains are evil.

Some items I try not to wear too often. I sometimes feel like retiring the old Playboys and putting them on a shelf.

#7 2010-01-21 04:08:03

Just Jim

I find I'm guilty of all of this too...

I'd wear a (real) Troy to meet Ian Strachan again, but a Canada made J. Press BD would be good enough to meet the Pope.

The best gets saved for best.

#8 2010-01-21 04:12:52

TheWeejun

Problem I have is that I work from home and sometimes don't go out for days if I'm busy, plus shoes are verboten inside our house so none of mine get worn enough these days to ever see the inside of a repairer shop.

Sometimes it's only the postman who gets to see the day's outfit, and so far none of them have mentioned it (despite the constant arrival of US postmarked 'second hand shoes' parcels)...

Now what I shall wear to step out to the post office to post those Sportoccasins to 1966 in Holland?

www.theweejun.com
theweejun.tumblr.com

#9 2010-01-21 05:19:18

Beatnik

As Pam Ayres so rightly said "I wish I'd looked after me teeth...".

#10 2010-01-21 05:35:49

Moose Maclennan
Ivy Inspiration

#11 2010-01-21 05:43:06

Beatnik

I have a pair of bottle green Birmingham bags that I keep meaning to wear, along with a pristine star jumper and Charlie Chaplin motif cheese cloth with a penny round collar...

#12 2010-01-21 06:14:54

TheWeejun

www.theweejun.com
theweejun.tumblr.com

#13 2010-01-21 13:36:34

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

Vibe-Rations in Spectra-Sonic-Sound

• Index
  •  » Talk Ivy
  •  » Do You Keep Your Best Ivy Bits For Best Then Never Wear Them?

Board footer