You are not logged in.

#1 2010-01-23 11:27:58

Kingstonian

James Ellroy

I liked his novels and so I was interested to listen to him on 'Desert Island Discs'. Still available to listen to on iplayer.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00psp99/Desert_Island_Discs_James_Ellroy/

He seemed to be very cold and emotionally crippled by the murder of his mother.

I mention him here because Ellroy said he wore Ivy stuff during the 60s. That did not mean he had a clean cut life style. Looking on wiki he is photographed in the seersucker, bow tie stuff.

All his record choices were classical. Lots of Beethoven and Bruckner.

I prefer American crime fiction apart from Sherlock Holmes.

Last edited by Kingstonian (2010-01-23 12:06:17)

#2 2010-01-23 11:52:57

Patrick

Re: James Ellroy

I've read a lot of Ellroy. I prefer his early novels; after the success of "L.A. Confidential" he got into this "Zippity op-bop FLASH" scattered stream of something-or-other mode and the books became (to me) unreadable. ("American Tabloid, for instance.)

But the latest, "Blood's A Rover," while maintaining some of the attitude of "Tabloid," is a more conventional noir thriller, and far more appealing.

But nothing this guy writes is really conventional. He's got a very vivid, and very warped, imagination.

Otter : Take it easy, I'm pre-law.
Boon : I thought you were pre-med.
Otter : What's the difference?

#3 2010-01-23 12:02:31

Kingstonian

#4 2010-01-24 03:14:27

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

BEE was in vogue for a time, couldn't relate to his stuff at all, either.

Chester Himes Harlem Trilogy is worth checking out, the film of A Rage in Harlem was pretty good too.  He led an interesting life as his autobiography A Quality of Hurt attests too.  He was inprisoned for armed robbery in the 1930's and later emigrated to Spain, with just two nylon shirts to his name.

His non-crime writing is even better, particulary, The Lonely Crusade about a black welder caught up in union activism and an affair with a white woman back in a '40's shipyard. 

I haven't read a novel for years and years, only read history, autobiographies, collected letters and diaries these days. Even poetry is on a back burner, which it shouldn't be.

There's not a living writer who interests me.

Vibe-Rations in Spectra-Sonic-Sound

#5 2010-01-24 09:36:46

TheWeejun

Am a fan of Ross MacDonald too, who wrote the Lew Archer series that Paul Newman starred in as Harper.

"Mr. Weejun is a beast." 1966
www.theweejun.com
theweejun.tumblr.com

#6 2010-01-24 15:03:47

dustindeed

ellroy is always pretty fresh as far as clothing is concerned.  i saw him do a reading for blood's a rover and he was wearing a pink, u-stripe button-down, brooks bow tie, navy windowpane sportscoat, khakis and some heavy, moc-toe oxfords. 

he's got his rap down pat of course, but he's still pretty amusing in those types of settings.

#7 2010-01-24 15:57:40

Kingstonian

Ellroy seems to have lost a bit of weight. In the BBC photo he is thin. Previous photos in his books showed him as a big bruiser.

Board footer