You are not logged in.

#1 2010-03-03 12:01:36

Just Jim

So... Let's 'Talk Ivy'...

Sum up the style for you?

No wrong answers.

It can be old or new, fresh or fusty - It all depends.

I find it inspiring, subtle, nuanced.

I can't see it as 'archaic' - I'm English.

I also can't see it as Conservative in England. In Conservative England our style looks bloody sloppy. Slack. Lazy.

- But that's not the point.

I love it & you probably do too - But why?

Best,

jj

#2 2010-03-03 13:22:48

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

Re: So... Let's 'Talk Ivy'...

Its the promise of modern jazz - dissolutely hip to the urbane.

Modern and always will be.

Classic and yet, an outsiders art. A positive vibration, a tonic to nihilism and antidote to the goth universe.

Chet Baker on the cover of the album In New York.

Vibe-Rations in Spectra-Sonic-Sound

#3 2010-03-03 13:54:25

ScarletStreet

Ivy to me is a post modern take on mid century America. I do not separate it at all from "Americana". The same types of folks wore both styles seamlessly in the boom years. I've seen the evidence. To hold it up as only a historical artifact style or to simplify it by who wore it and when is criminal. The vast majority of the boom year folks who wore this stuff have gone on to truly dismal personal styles. Ivy to the enthusiast in this country is about using the American past as a different country and different culture to be drawn from.  It's about using your body as a canvas for expression. Making the clothes and how you wear them the artwork. It's about having an economy of choice, and embracing minimalism to the point of seeming boring to onlookers. It can be either a subtle rendering or an in your face rebellion depending on your geography but it should always be yet another way to fuck with the squares, the thick, and the mundane. This is my take alone.

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it." -- H.L. Mencken

#4 2010-03-04 02:08:54

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

Blimey, you two are good!

Board footer