You are not logged in.

#1 2010-03-31 02:50:45

Gibson Gardens
Ivy Author

Blue Note documentary

I find myself thinking back nostalgically a lot these days which I'm prepared to admit reflects a sense that there is something lacking in my present but if offers me solace. One thing that pops into my head regularly is a South Bank documentary circa 85/86 on Blue Note records. Richard Cook I think wrote and presented it and the opening scene consists of a shot of his black Bass Beefroll loafers strolling along to the sound of 'Moanin'' He then enters Dobells and starts leafing through the vinyl. There are great interviews with Albert Lion, Michael Cuscuna and Reid Miles and well put together sequences with the needle dropping into the groove and 'Blue Train' blasting out of an old dansette. I once had a recording on VHS but this has mysteriously disappeared over the years along with my old Walkover saddle bucks from JS and the perfect herringbone Ivy jacket I found in Flip for £10. Anyhow, I wondered if anybody else saw this, agreed with my feelings about it, and perhaps more importantly is there a way to get hold of it now? I've tried YouTube etc but no luck.

g.g.

#2 2010-03-31 03:12:47

TheWeejun

Re: Blue Note documentary

GG,

In some cases it's worth contacting the production company and sending them a letter saying you are researching the subject for a book or TV series or something and ask them for a copy. They will charge you for copying but it might be worth it depending on how much you want it!

Most production companies are used to this kind of request.

"Mr. Weejun is a beast." 1966
www.theweejun.com
theweejun.tumblr.com

#3 2010-03-31 03:21:26

Axelist
Talker of the talk, walker of the walk.

Maybe a starting point to search for contacts: http://ftvdb.bfi.org.uk/sift/title/354560

Just to get a repp..

#4 2010-03-31 03:27:03

Staceyboy
Ivy Archivist

http://thetownoutside.tumblr.com

#5 2010-03-31 03:41:20

sunra

I have also contacted TV companies over the years on similar quests and have always found them to be very helpful. And if you do have success, I for one would love to see it.

#6 2010-03-31 07:41:04

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

#7 2010-03-31 12:34:34

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

Ah yes, Michael Cuscuna, isn't he the top brother that Chinny-chenners 'effed off?

It would be very nice to get hold of that South Bank Show. Sadly, there's no indepth documentaries on Blue Note, or any other jazz label on Youtube. 

I do notice that Bruce Weber's beautiful Chet Baker documentary Lets Get Lost, is available though, in 10 episodes.

Vibe-Rations in Spectra-Sonic-Sound

Board footer