You are not logged in.

#1 2010-04-30 02:00:00

Yuca

shirt makers advice gratefully received

I'm desperate for some shirts, specifically boom years US style, you know what that means . . .

(i.e. http://www.vintageformen.com/X0554.php)

There's nothing available new that's sufficiently retro looking for my tastes and my attempts to use shirt makers in my vicinity have been expensive disappointments.  My next tactic is ordering online, I'm considering Jantzen, Mercer and TrimFit. 

Any advice on any of these, or other recommendations?  Unfortunately I cannot visit any of these in person, and I don't have an existing shirt I'm happy with (although I do have photos - see above).

I have already found good input, particularly regarding Jantzen, here and elsewhere thank you, I'm just wondering if any more advice is available from your good selves.

Thanks my friends.

some sort of banal legitimacy

#2 2010-04-30 11:51:22

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

Re: shirt makers advice gratefully received

Of the three you mention, I've only had experience with Mercer and they're good. But that Trimfit looks interesting, especially the tartans, I may check them out. Thanks for that tip.

And not made in some far east sweatshop, actually made in Blighty which is always a winner.

They have that 65% polyester/35% cotton cloth that was popular in the boom years. But to save yourself 79quid, do what I do, what for Weejun to sell genuine 1960's dead stock. Always a winner.

From the webpages, I would go for Trimfit over Jantzen.

I think I will get in touch with them, more expensive than Mercer though. But if you're in Blighty, you will have to pay import duty.

If all else fails go for a BB OCBD.

Vibe-Rations in Spectra-Sonic-Sound

#3 2010-04-30 13:11:59

sambarock

I must say I'm very happy with http://www.individualizedshirts.com

They can do pretty much a shirt with any specs you desire, plus a good selection of fabrics, manufacture in usa.

You can see an good example, even tho the collar is somewhat small the fit is amazing and the details are to die for:
http://chcmshop.com/item-detail.php?id=288&group=clothing

rock hard x ride free

#4 2010-04-30 13:33:17

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

They do indeed look good shirts, the one failing in that shirt is the lack of collar roll, it could be mistaken for a RL. Pretty much sure they would oblige with a more dignified roll if requested.

Vibe-Rations in Spectra-Sonic-Sound

#5 2010-04-30 13:54:44

sambarock

Yes,
Actually I got something called the "university collar" and asked for a higher roll (the can also do extra high) and is about 3 1/4" at the end. I really like the not fuse natural roll.
I'm also getting NOS Gant Huggers in small this weekend, if they don't fit I will post in the forum.

rock hard x ride free

#6 2010-05-04 13:48:09

1,966% Ivy

Never had anything made to measure except for the odd tailoring. A diet of Brooks, O'Connell's and Ebay vintage and I'm fine. Still some gaps to be filled though... what would I be without something to hunt for. I still don't have that pink oxford shirt.

#7 2010-05-04 14:45:44

TheWeejun

"Mr. Weejun is a beast." 1966
www.theweejun.com
theweejun.tumblr.com

#8 2010-05-05 01:09:22

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

smile  You too?

It made me pull out a Pink J. Press flap pocket job... But the Press Pink isn't the classic Brooks Pink & never was. Same with the classic Brooks Blue - Press never came close. MTM seems the only way - Or see how close David Mercer can get to the dream OCBD...

#9 2010-05-05 04:32:27

Yuca

Thanks for the input gentlemen, I'm now awaiting a Mercer with certain custom details that will hopefully give it more of a 60s than 80s look.  I'm hoping customs don't hold my baby to ransom.

I'm also awaiting a Jantzen, although I've heard nothing back from them - by all accounts their work ranges from quality to nonexistent.

Vintage is fine by me but I like pure cotton, blemish-free clothes, in my size (15) and with a boom years cut; finding a shirt that fits these requirements is a challenge, if not impossible. 

Incidentally TrimFit are willing to deviate from their usual mod/skin style, and they do stock pure cotton cloths, indeed they may prove to be my next port of call.

Last edited by Yuca (2010-05-05 11:38:19)

some sort of banal legitimacy

Board footer