You are not logged in.

#1 2010-05-08 04:16:20

Kingstonian

White socks

So I had a look on Ivy Style which has quite nice art work on the front page now.

First article was about a brand of white socks - Adler. Bloke on scooter smoking a pipe.

How do Brits square this item of clothing with the image of  Gary White Socks  Essex geezer ?

#2 2010-05-08 04:19:55

Kingstonian

Re: White socks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsiOAxZYW3E

#3 2010-05-08 13:12:38

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

White socks were the epitamy of skally coolness back in 1982-86 when I use to wear them. Paul Weller wore them too, when he still meant something.

Couldn't wear them outside of sport now, regardless of any provenance.

Vibe-Rations in Spectra-Sonic-Sound

#4 2010-05-08 13:45:43

formby

"Dressing, like painting, should have a residual stability, plus punctuation and surprise." - Richard Merkin

Souvent me Souvient

#5 2010-05-08 13:54:26

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

^Not forgetting the definitive Ben Pringle tank top.

The problem with those Farrah kecks, was the tightness below the waist area, tended to reveal the outline of one's penis.

Never seen the Farrah pants for years, what happened to them?

#6 2010-05-08 14:25:50

formby

"Dressing, like painting, should have a residual stability, plus punctuation and surprise." - Richard Merkin

Souvent me Souvient

#7 2010-05-08 16:30:55

shamrockmonkey

farah's a big discount/low end dept. store brand here, along with fruit of the loom (mostly underwear and cheap sweats),botany 500, mc gregor, wrangler (to an extent, popular in backwater areas with hillbillies, has some ironic cachet perhaps), and a number of others that seem to have been or continue to be hep overseas.

I brush my teeth with minty paste/I hate when Liquor goes to waste.

#8 2010-05-09 01:22:24

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

It happened to a mate of mine, he was in a particulary tedious trigonometry lesson and was in a state of bewildered enchantment focusing on the breasts of a young maiden, the teacher clocked him and asked the poor young man to stand up - big, heaving erection. The class erupted in laughter.

I use to always get a hard in the morning assembly, it was always a challenge to think of enough cool-wet-grass as opposed to the latest edition of Razzle or the Readers Wives section of Mayfair, to enable an honourable departure from the hall in front of the rest of the school.

The skally as he was in 1981-83 incarnation, as I remember, sported Incontinence pants trainers (the more expensive the better, expense of trainers meant everything), if you did it on the cheap, you could get away with Incontinence pants Kick, but then you would be ribbed by your so called mates for having a cheap pair of trainees. Tight jeans, with white socks was the order of the day. A button down? Maybe, can't remember exactly, but more important was the tracksuit top, ideally from an exotic continental location, brought back from a football match when Liverpool dominated Europe.

By '84 it has was Sergio Tachini tracksuits, if you could get them.

Lacoste button downs were considered the ultimate shirt (by the very late 80’s it was RL), you couldn't buy them anywhere in Liverpool/Wirral/Chester, maybe even Manchester. They were as a rare as fuck. You could only buy them overseas, on your holidays in Spain. This was the way it was. I remember in the very early 90's a menswear shop starting selling Lacoste in Liverpool, the shirts were going like hot cakes, and 199 quid a pop.

The meaning of brands was different then, it meant and had status with a perception of privilege, all you needed to be the top skally was more money than your mates and holiday in the Mediteranean.

Thankfully things change, but not for benefit of the style status of white socks.

#9 2010-05-09 01:29:56

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

This used to get me hard when I was six...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZ1jekKgZqo

True, is that.

wink

#10 2010-05-11 14:02:36

Sowtondevil

White socks are never worn by the discerning anywhere outside the sports arena - and hence should be restricted to the gym., racquet court, cricket pavilion, etc.  To do so otherwise is a faux pas.  Similarly, having a button-down shirt collar un-buttoned is a faux pas.  The extreme result of the un-buttoned collar is the appalling effect referred to as the 'Birmingham spin' where one collar curls out whilst the other curls under giving the impression of the blades of an aircraft propeller - manufactured in Birmingham. 

Another dress faux pas, often seen associated with white socks is the Farrah pants worn without a belt - this is very bad form.  Personally, I would not consider Farrah pants in my wardrobe as some models were not even equipped with belt loops.  My first father-in-law considered them to be 'de rigeuer' on the golf course and for that reason alone I would never wear them. To conform with your father-in-law's taste in fashion and compromise Ivy ideals was never a serious consideration.   

White socks - Farrah pants - not Ivy - not worn here.

#11 2010-05-11 14:25:22

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

#12 2010-05-19 07:14:25

Coleman

As the truest sort of American (ugly, loud, rude, vulgar, and Traditionally attired to boot), I wear white athletic socks when I am required to wear socks and am not wearing a tie.

#13 2010-05-19 07:23:39

1,966% Ivy

There are white socks and white socks. The bad ones are white cotton, the good ones are off white wool.

#14 2010-05-19 12:52:21

Matt
Ivy Original.

Coleman and 1966 both make a point worth considering. There are "white socks, and then there are white socks."

If you go back to a 50s yearbook, you will see most of the guys in Wigwam 625 socks; 60% wool and 40% cotton. Guaranteed to turn slightly yellow after numerous washings. Those socks are exactly the same today, as they were in the 50s.

If you don't like the look, that's one thing. However, there are a few of us, like Coleman, who think that they work fine with Weejuns, Bills, OCBD, and shetland sweaters,etc.

A hint of yesteryear for some of us, and dreadfully inappropriate for others. This has been covered elsewhere, but this trend started because these were the socks that we were issued for athletic teams, and because of a lack of money, they became a part of our everyday wear.

#15 2010-05-19 13:01:30

Moose Maclennan
Ivy Inspiration

I stop one short of the Weejuns, with Wigwam crew socks.

They are the perfect complement to dirty bucks.

#16 2010-05-19 13:21:26

1,966% Ivy

I don't have any Wigwam or Adler ones, but off white, thicked ribbed, mainly wool socks are my favourite hosiery. They go with just about anything on the casual side (where I reside most of the time), and the fact you're basically showing people how to wear a "white" sock is just that subversive little bonus.

#17 2010-05-20 03:36:37

zuckermandl

#18 2010-05-20 04:31:21

nouvelle vague
A Distillation of Ivy Inspiration.

having a button-down shirt collar un-buttoned is a faux pas.  The extreme result of the un-buttoned collar is the appalling effect referred to as the 'Birmingham spin' where one collar curls out whilst the other curls under giving the impression of the blades of an aircraft propeller - manufactured in Birmingham. 

to deveate from the post. This is is a staple of good ol js. inspired by 60's fiat boss gianni agnelli I belive .
check the iterview on the old js webpage   LIKE  IT MYSELF.

'Jean-Paul Sartre and john lee hooker'

#19 2010-05-20 05:27:56

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

Cheever unbuttoned his BDs & tucked one collar point in & one out of his crew neck Shetlands.

Fact!  wink

#20 2010-05-21 07:52:32

Astridsdad

I recall the Beverley Sisters upbraiding Jonathon Ross for sporting white socks with a black suit. They were quite horrified actually.

Bustin' makes me feel good

#21 2010-05-21 09:37:19

Brownshoe

white cotton socks with chinos, Chuck Taylors, and a short-sleeved button-down shirt is a bit of a summer uniform for me. 

NERD!

#22 2010-05-22 02:01:43

Horace

I just bought some of the Wigs not too long ago.  Still made up somewhere in the mid-north of the USA.  Not bad.

""This is probably the last Deb season...because of the stock market, the economy, Everything..." - W. Stillman.

Board footer