You are not logged in.

#1 2010-06-14 07:47:43

Hard Bop Hank
Ivy Soul Brother

Harringtons

First time I see this term mentioned in the US:

http://www.jpressonline.com/outerwear_jackets_detail.php?ix=2

Americans used to talk about Baracutas/ G9s...

It was a John Simons/ London thing, and it became popular with youth culture all over Europe, but the Americans didn't talk about Harrington jackets...

“No Room For Squares”
”All political art is bad – all good art is political.”
"Would there be any freedom of press or speech if one must reduce his vocabulary to vapid innocuous euphemisms?"

#2 2010-06-14 07:52:30

TheWeejun

Re: Harringtons

Presumably called that as they're made by Baracuta? I've always preferred the check lining to the zip edges rather than a self coloured band. My leather Baracuta for some reason doesn't have the tartan face all the way to the zip, which as it's slightly padded also causes a visible bump down the fonrt sides of the zip.

Interesting that Press is doing that though instead of the usual US wide cut 'barracuda' styles. Japanese owners?

"Mr. Weejun is a beast." 1966
www.theweejun.com
theweejun.tumblr.com

#3 2010-06-14 08:01:37

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

#4 2010-06-14 08:39:13

Hard Bop Hank
Ivy Soul Brother

“No Room For Squares”
”All political art is bad – all good art is political.”
"Would there be any freedom of press or speech if one must reduce his vocabulary to vapid innocuous euphemisms?"

#5 2010-06-18 12:05:14

Rip Rig & Panic

I got a look at the current Baracuta catalogue yesterday.  Well-known picture of John Simons with friends, enjoying life.  A different world.  When I spoke of the Harrington the shopkeeper said - rather loftily - We call it the G9. 

Well, blow me down. 

I used to have a natural Van Heusen number.  Americana shops did them at about 25 quid a time only three or four years ago.  About time they went the way of the Ben Sherman shirt.

#6 2010-06-18 12:34:20

Klook

#7 2010-06-18 12:45:16

Rip Rig & Panic

No, in the murky Midlands.  A shop strictly for trendies.  Tuesday I saw rails of zippered jackets all labelled as Harringtons' - including Penney, Campus, Peters and London Fog.  When I told them they weren't Harringtons they just looked at me gone out.  Poor old codger, don't know what he's talking about.  Pacified, however, by picking up a Purist candy stripe for 1.99.  I was wearing a more or less identical BB.  These Americana shops are a bit of a joke - the staff wouldn't know Ivy if it kicked them in the butt.

#8 2010-06-19 04:52:00

Rip Rig & Panic

I don't want to sound too harsh, but I think Baracuta - and maybe Press - deserve a good kick in the pants over this.  Johnny Simons ought to get something for his trouble. 

A few black knock-offs around at the moment, invariably teamed with rubbish - swinging open over a beer belly.  It's over.

Board footer