You are not logged in.

#1 2010-06-24 12:01:42

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

The Impossible Project

The first Polaroid instant camera was introduced in 1963, and never a more American camera and vision, the OCBD of the camera world.

And those fine people at The Impossible Project, rank up there with Michael Cuscana at Mosaic Records for bringing the essence of America within reach:

http://shop.the-impossible-project.com/shop/cameras/sx70/ca_sx70_kit

I will be getting my own at 3PM CET 25-June-10.

Vibe-Rations in Spectra-Sonic-Sound

#2 2010-06-25 05:02:27

Gibson Gardens
Ivy Author

Re: The Impossible Project

Interesting stuff Hepcat. £249. That's a lot of OCBDs. Or 1 RL one. Tell me as a curious but essentially ignorant person - what will this give me? What will my pictures look like? How easy to get conventional film and to get it developed? Yes, I'm that behind. But I am interested, and I approve of all non-digital endeavour.

g.g.

#3 2010-06-25 05:16:42

nouvelle vague
A Distillation of Ivy Inspiration.

I belive this a refurbed sx70 polaroid gg so its instant pics no developing needed.

'Jean-Paul Sartre and john lee hooker'

#4 2010-06-25 05:38:33

nouvelle vague
A Distillation of Ivy Inspiration.

My freind had a og one at art school. It was fantastic, slr spec on a polaroid. couldnt find an affordable decent one at the time.

'Jean-Paul Sartre and john lee hooker'

#5 2010-06-25 11:21:30

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

Its a refurbished SX70 Polaroid alright, I think I bought the last one out of the fifty reconditioned ones at 15:00hrs today. Sold out in less than two minutes.

I always associated Polaroids with my down syndrome great aunt who had one and would bring out at family events in the 1970's. But The Impossible Project people have bought the last Polaroid film factory in Holland and teamed up with Ilford in the UK to make amazing B&W and sepia toned instant film.

They're marketing themselves like a more artistic Lomography and we shall see. I'm a big fan of B&W film, there's nothing like silver halide photographs. Digital doesn't come close, although there are software packages available to recreate film effect. But why recreate, when you can have the real deal?

Polaroid were an amazingly successful American company, millions of Polaroid cameras made. The colour film has a distinctive stylistic palate, once considered a throw away item, now a coveted photographic style. 

Polaroids are an essential piece of Americana, an artifact in the ongoing case of Ivy vs Prep, Trad vs Humanity, Classicism vs Stylised Deviancy.

#6 2010-06-25 18:48:42

shamrockmonkey

what was the deal with kodak? all instant cameras in my youth were kodaks. didnt one win a huge lawsuit against the other or something?

I brush my teeth with minty paste/I hate when Liquor goes to waste.

#7 2010-06-27 01:58:08

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

Polaroid won two lawsuits against Kodak in the Seventies and Eighties.  Still didn't save Polaroid who filed for Chapter 11 and have now reinvented themselves as the maker of bling instant photos for chav girls.  I kid you not. Kodak are still around and are involved in cinematrography film, amongst digital and other technologies.

Minox has gone the same way as Polaroid, well not quite, the're not bankrupt, but they have no commitment to the 8x11 format and have brought out an obvious toy digital spy camera for pre-pubescent boys. This is a shame, there's enough real artists and gentlemen amateurs out there to keep the 8x11 film format expanding and alive.

Board footer