You are not logged in.

#1 2010-07-11 00:51:34

Rip Rig & Panic

Banana Republic

Saw the odd bit for sale in John Simons.  Secondhand, presumably.  I once had a pair of their trousers.  Not especially satisfactory, though better than the wretched preppie Vineyard Vines.  A bit Gappie, I suppose, though the Debrett New York fashionistas were keen enough back in the eighties.  Having said that, though, they were damn keen on Ralphie (if not the polo player), mentioning them almost in the same breath as Paul Stuart (who have also gone some way downhill IMO).  Anyone got a good word to say for them?

#2 2010-07-11 01:39:15

sunra

Re: Banana Republic

I bought assorted trousers and shirts from them on trips to the States in the late 80s and early 90s & was really impressed. In fact I still have a favourite Hawaiin shirt & at the time thought it would be great if they opened a London branch. These days however when I wonder into the Regent Street branch I am soon leaving again. In fact these days I don't even bother going in and am more likely to find something in Massimo Duti!

#3 2010-07-11 01:47:07

1,966% Ivy

The decline of Banana Republic.... I think I experienced that. I had a good polo shirt in the 90s, a plain two button grey marl one which was an impossible colour to find over here back then. Years later when Ebay made things easier I found another one in the States for a few dollars which looked identical. When it arrived, it turned out to be a different animal. The shape was off, the weave was coarser, the cotton seemed worse.

#4 2010-07-11 01:56:09

Rip Rig & Panic

Bean can also be exceptionally variable: ranging from rather pleasing to very sick-making.  Why this lack of consistency?  Do they simply not care?  Brooks are also guilty of this, of course, putting out stuff you wouldn't wish on your worst enemy.

Board footer