You are not logged in.

#1 2010-07-12 07:46:40

Rip Rig & Panic

Ivy To Perfection

Just looking at one or two photographs of forum members recently, plus reading and mulling, inspired me to perhaps annoy a few people with this posting.  I had the photographs of the Weejun and the Cardinal in mind.  Taken years apart and across how many thousands of miles?  But there we have it, the Brooks, the Halrin, the modest leather belt, the mocs.  IMO it's a look to aspire to: clean, neat, mature, considered - a galaxy away from our parka-wearing chums and their inane chanting of 'We Are The Mods'.  The Oxford cloth button-down, the slacks - timeless, classic cool.  I don't mean to sound like Russell Street, but I hope he'd second the emotion.

#2 2010-07-12 09:01:59

DB

Re: Ivy To Perfection

Well said Mr. Rip Rig.

#3 2010-07-12 11:34:59

Alex Roest

Last edited by Alex Roest (2010-07-12 11:39:51)

#4 2010-07-12 13:20:25

Harpo
The Best In The West

I fully endorse Brother Panic's point of view - it's a look you can wear when you're 17 or 75 - a world away from the mutton-done-up-as-lamb blokes who still sport Steve Marriot haircuts and dodgy Fred Perrys. It can be as smart or as relaxed as you like and is as confusing as hell to people who don't know where you're coming from.

Randy lower-class trifler

#5 2010-07-12 14:22:54

nouvelle vague
A Distillation of Ivy Inspiration.

^
"confusing as hell to people who don't know where you're coming from" ... It's all in the detail isn't it. a subtle style.. dare I use that word subversive again. to paraphrase mr russell st. "it isn't a style that SCREAMS mod"

Last edited by nouvelle vague (2010-07-12 14:23:51)

'Jean-Paul Sartre and john lee hooker'

#6 2010-07-13 07:40:43

Rip Rig & Panic

'Kicked Back' is a phrase that keeps running through my mind.  Russell used it in his posting on Jeff's style. 

I have to keep two eyes on the mirror nowadays, and 'kicking back' is something I find myself doing more often: reducing The Look by degrees to a pale blue or white Brooks (not invariably an OCBD) or good polo shirt in olive green or wine; Brooks cashmere jumper with saddle shoulder in navy; dark jeans or off-white chinos; loafers or dirty bucks. 
I run my eye over everything in the wardrobe a couple of times each week and try removing something.  Dressing it right down has become the number one fine weather objective.

Board footer