You are not logged in.

• Index
  •  » Talk Ivy
  •  » The Liberation of Dressing Down, Dark and Plain (but never Dowdy)

#1 2010-07-15 02:52:45

Rip Rig & Panic

The Liberation of Dressing Down, Dark and Plain (but never Dowdy)

This is Ian Strachan's direct influence, filtered through Russell Street and Gibson Gardens.  Never met him, never even seen a photograph.  Formed mental images only. 
Ditto Graham Marsh.  GG knows and works with him. 
Gosh, though, how they've influenced my choices in terms of colour and texture - and, as Alex Roest puts it, the overall impression.  No frills.  Mostly cotton and cashmere, Brooks and Paine, loafers and wingtips.  Pale blue, navy, white, bottle green, maroon.

I also have Paddy to thank.  Jim, you know the story. 

Maybe I'd have arrived at the same place in the end.  But the journey wouldn't have been half as exciting, believe me.

Good to acknowledge debts.

#2 2010-07-15 03:52:16

Alex Roest

Re: The Liberation of Dressing Down, Dark and Plain (but never Dowdy)

Last edited by Alex Roest (2010-07-15 03:52:38)

#3 2010-07-15 03:55:47

Rip Rig & Panic

That's it, Alex, that's exactly it.  The only stuff I can't bear to part with is the collection of Tootal, Sammy and Duggie scarves.

#4 2010-07-15 12:20:31

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

I know Graham Marsh through his books only, but through his ability and passion to bring those record album covers together, brought inspiration to that hum drum existence of mine on the banks of the Mersey: the cool jazz of 1950's California and the modernist hard bop of New York.  This meant everything to me, working in what I can only describe as a Victorian fabrication shop with men whose ideals were a mixture of football and Saturday Night Fever.  I'm a long, long way from all that now, thank the gods.

Or thank Marsh, because through those books and notable others; Kerouac, Burroughs, Ginsberg, Hemmingway, Bukowski and jazz music, I realised there was another world, a more redeeming one, in touch with my ideals and I found it. And then I got married and had kids, oh well.....

Vibe-Rations in Spectra-Sonic-Sound

• Index
  •  » Talk Ivy
  •  » The Liberation of Dressing Down, Dark and Plain (but never Dowdy)

Board footer