You are not logged in.

#1 2010-07-19 09:34:34

Rip Rig & Panic

Continental Style 3: Piaf and Greco

Piaf I love, Greco I never really took to, in spite of the close connection with Miles Davis.  She did look good, however.  I think, in hip modernist circles, they have their admirers.

#2 2010-07-19 14:36:32

Hard Bop Hank
Ivy Soul Brother

Re: Continental Style 3: Piaf and Greco

Oh yes, I remember when I was about 17 years old sitting in the back of my parents car with a good friend and we had given my father a tape to play, and it was Edit Piaf, and I'm sure my father would have listened to the same songs when he was young, but he kept on talking about Piaf, some trivial things, and we looked at each other and both of us must have thought why doesn't he shut up and listen to the music....
Yes, that feeling of embarrassment about your parents, not sure if it's limited to the teen years, but that must have been the peak of it... nobody expected parents to be hip, but at the time i was sure that no one around was listening to music with the same intensity and passion, the old folks weren't really touched by anything, I thought, and I must have taken it for granted that everybody was growing up listening to Lightnin' Hopkins, John Lee Hooker, Chet Baker, Miles Davis, Baden Powell, Otis Redding, Kinks or Leonard Cohen...

“No Room For Squares”
”All political art is bad – all good art is political.”
"Would there be any freedom of press or speech if one must reduce his vocabulary to vapid innocuous euphemisms?"

#3 2010-07-19 14:52:41

Beatnik's ghost

Aah, the devine Miss Greco. A beat icon...

#4 2010-07-19 14:53:51

Rip Rig & Panic

#5 2010-07-19 14:56:02

Hard Bop Hank
Ivy Soul Brother

“No Room For Squares”
"Would there be any freedom of press or speech if one must reduce his vocabulary to vapid innocuous euphemisms?"

#6 2010-07-19 14:57:46

Hard Bop Hank
Ivy Soul Brother

I'm just a little lazy, too:

http://www.google.de/images?hl=de&client=firefox-a&hs=gqc&rls=org.mozilla:de:official&channel=s&q=juliette%20greco&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi

“No Room For Squares”

#7 2010-07-19 15:07:05

Beatnik's ghost

As always Hank, no one has faster fingers than you. You can post as many pics of Juliette as you want old chum. Maybe throw in a few of Jean Seberg while you're at it...

#8 2010-07-19 15:19:42

Hard Bop Hank
Ivy Soul Brother

Who fast... me? You've already got your JS, erm, Seberg thread?

Didn't we have one about Jeans already?

“No Room For Squares”

Board footer