You are not logged in.

• Index
  •  » Talk Ivy
  •  » It's Not That I Don't Want To Spend Anything But...

#1 2010-07-23 02:04:20

Rip Rig & Panic

It's Not That I Don't Want To Spend Anything But...

The Ivy budget...  Who'll own up to their missus having a go at them from time to time?  I got well over my credit card limit during two or three visits to Russell Street, plus having them send stuff through the post: two slack jackets, desert boots, Sanders...  And now I'm skint, hence the charity shop dipping and more time spent tending the roses.  I set myself a modest limit whenever I head off anywhere and flinch if I think anyone is trying to overcharge me.  I also think: do I need another?  I got away with £40 last time in Nottingham: a Grenfell zippered jacket, a shirt and a paisley silk tie made in the 60s for Harrods.  Just liked the look of it. 
Fascinated by the notion of Harpo being willing to spend over £100 on an Orvis cardie.  My workhorse Pendleton, now in for repairs, was about £3.  I won't shell out much for dessies either. 
So what's your limit?  And how tolerant is your ball and chain?

#2 2010-07-23 02:05:23

Rip Rig & Panic

Re: It's Not That I Don't Want To Spend Anything But...

Just think by the way, £300 on a copy of 'Classic Cafes' could buy you - what?

#3 2010-07-23 05:33:26

Harpo
The Best In The West

I'm not saying I'd willingly spen £100 on a cardie for the sake of it Rip, if I could find one for £20, that I like, I'd get that (as I've said, I buy most of my knitwear from the Edinburgh Woollen Mill!). But, if it looks exactly what I want, and the quality is there, and I can afford it, then I'm getting it - within reason of course. Though different people have a different understanding of what is reasonable........

Randy lower-class trifler

#4 2010-07-23 05:38:24

Rip Rig & Panic

Oh aye, not criticising...  just interested...

#5 2010-07-23 05:46:43

Rip Rig & Panic

#6 2010-07-23 08:58:51

Get Smart

If the particular item makes my sartorial dick hard, "Budget" is just the name of a rent-a-car company.  I don't like buying based on what's "the best value" anymore.

#7 2010-07-23 08:59:58

Get Smart

ie: my Alden cordovan longwings. $600 but no regrets.  Could live with them being the only shoes I own, or ever will own.

#8 2010-07-23 09:02:48

Rip Rig & Panic

Ouch...

#9 2010-07-23 09:11:26

Rip Rig & Panic

It just always seemed a touch alarming that Russell Street had an attic full of Chipp, Haspel, Troy Guild, Linet, Halrin, Andover Shop, Norman Hilton, Brooks, Press and Royce that had just slipped his mind...

• Index
  •  » Talk Ivy
  •  » It's Not That I Don't Want To Spend Anything But...

Board footer