You are not logged in.

#1 2010-07-23 02:23:52

Rip Rig & Panic

A Cat Who Stayed Cool: Art Pepper

Chet and Mulligan didn't, or couldn't.  Poor Chet, with his face falling in, always reminding me of an old rocker I knew back home who wore false teeth.  Maybe Pepper had a lot to thank the lovely Laurie for; I don't know.  I remember, though, years back, watching a documentary with my old man, and there was Art, living in some kind of mobile home, playing sweet music for this shrewd, gorgeous woman.  He still looked okay.  He hadn't let himself go.  He hadn't done a Miles on us and started dressing like Hendrix or Michael Jackson.  Pity he couldn't stay off the shit and out of jail, though.

#2 2010-07-23 07:35:32

ParsonOban

Re: A Cat Who Stayed Cool: Art Pepper

#3 2010-07-23 07:50:01

nouvelle vague
A Distillation of Ivy Inspiration.

He allways looked good in a half sleeve. Proof that they can look great with the right kit

'Jean-Paul Sartre and john lee hooker'

#4 2010-07-23 12:45:18

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

He was greatly influenced by Coltrane towards the end. He knew he didn't have long to go, so he went all out in intensity and the search for the spiritual. Miles couldn't say that, could he?

He stayed cool alright, never ratted, just like Hampton. Mulligan or Getz ratted, can't remember which one, maybe both?

You just have to listen to 'Las Cuevas De Mario' and 'Solid Citzens' to realise the man was a junky genius on par with the 'Trane. 

He looked great even when he was strung and nodding out, just like his music which remained clean, even in the midst of absolute junkiness. By the '70's he had that leathery waxy skin and that throaty voice typical of a low life junky.

Laurie's still keeping his memory alive, with new music, a film and she can be contacted:
http://straightlife.info/

Vibe-Rations in Spectra-Sonic-Sound

Board footer