You are not logged in.

#1 2010-07-21 08:59:37

Rip Rig & Panic

Soul Cool: Otis Redding

I was far too young to know him.  First soul singer I remember was Teddy; then Diana Ross.  Later, Arthur Conley etc.  Didn't really pick up on Otis until I was in my late teens and opening my ears after all that punk rock nonsense.  'Dock' is still one of the absolute greats.

#2 2010-07-23 11:42:23

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

Re: Soul Cool: Otis Redding

Otis had it alright, and then there was the problem of the plane crash with the Bar-Kays.

'Dock' is an eternal classic, that washed up feeling and yet, a nonchalance and recognition that nature rules over all.

I'm surprised no one else has posted on this topic, what's up no Otis fans?

Vibe-Rations in Spectra-Sonic-Sound

#3 2010-07-23 11:53:44

nouvelle vague
A Distillation of Ivy Inspiration.

I didn't see this. love the man.
He epitomizes the word soul. from the early greasy side on king right through to otis and carla. 
probably my favourite stax artist along side  bt & the mgs.  just watch the footage from rsg or the stax volt tour.

'Jean-Paul Sartre and john lee hooker'

#4 2010-07-23 12:00:07

Kingstonian

I remember the plane crash when I was at school and also buying a French LP by Otis - because it had more tracks on - the greatest hits/pocket money mentality.

Great songs. However some of the singing mannerisms('gotta gotta have it') now grate a bit; as do Wilson Pickett's grunts - which are fine on Land of a 1000 Dances'. I am sure Otis would have gone on to greater things if he had lived longer though.

#5 2010-07-23 19:43:10

tteplitzmd

Check out the video on you tube of otis redding in europe singing try a little tenderness. Doesn't get much better than this.

Board footer