You are not logged in.

• Index
  •  » Talk Ivy
  •  » 'Americana' is becoming less of an option

#1 2010-07-10 06:49:11

Rip Rig & Panic

'Americana' is becoming less of an option

I remember, in 1982, buying some imported off-white zippered jacket from the then cheap and cheerful Affleck's Palace in Manchester.  A bird crapped on it inside Victoria Coach Station.  The first Pendleton shirt I ever bought had a button-down collar and was lined (inside the collar).  John Simons looked sniffy when I told him about it.  I had about eight and sold the lot.  The 'Rebel Male' look will not do at my age.  I've come to realise this.  Yesterday, hunting for Stanley Blacker, I found myself nauseated by the 'Americana' on offer.  'Americana', 'workwear' - it can no longer be part of the mix for me.  Good to know these things.  Anyone feel the same?

#2 2010-07-10 09:28:53

Prof Kelp
Professor of Ivy

Re: 'Americana' is becoming less of an option

Don't really wear workwear as such, though like a chambrey shirt (I notice these are around in lots of shops this year...all seeming to have very small collars.

I can see its appeal, but don't go for the complete chambrey, jeans and pendleton coat thing, or Dickies stuff.

Do like a baggier levi, and retro sweatshirt for dossing round the house in (haven't used the word "dossing" for years)

Any other words we care to rescue from our childhood years?

http://thetownoutside.tumblr.com

#3 2010-07-11 01:36:29

Rip Rig & Panic

And what was that stuff I used to see so much of on Ebay, fetching high prices?  Filson? 

I saw Dickies boots in our local Oxfam yesterday.  £10.  They scream loudly at you.

#4 2010-07-11 01:40:27

Rip Rig & Panic

I never could see Red Wing or Timberland boots as in any sense 'Ivy'.

Only reason I might have bought a pair of Red Wings would be for the snow and ice.

#5 2010-07-24 09:53:03

Rip Rig & Panic

Still thumbs down for 'Americana'.  It's become too knowing, like certain types of kitsch.  It's become student twatwear, like outsourced Lauren rugby shirts.  The differences are subtle; steer some hazardous course between this, prep and Ivy.  Maybe, being far away from the capital, I'm faced with different choices.

#6 2010-07-24 12:15:23

Beatnik's ghost

You really must check out some blogs such as Craftworkwear, Rivethead, the 1939 clothier to understand American workwear a little more. Nothing to do with students really. About as much as Pee Wee Herman and Ivy...

• Index
  •  » Talk Ivy
  •  » 'Americana' is becoming less of an option

Board footer