You are not logged in.

#51 2008-10-09 14:40:03

chetmiles

Re: Traditional American Style: Streetwear.

J.Simons stock Redwing, and they look good for winter.  I have a great garage mechanic's shirt, still with the oil stains on it, that came from somewhere in New England and I sometimes wear this with chinos and Keds.  Are bowling shirts a little too rockabilly?  I think Woody Allen wears one at some point in 'Hannah and Her Sisters'.  All my Woolrich stuff is thick and hard-wearing.  I've bought and sold letterman jackets and have been tempted to keep one or two.  Again, J.Simons has a couple, but they're too Travolta-ish in the end, too 50s Americana/Sun records.  Still Ivy, though?  The lines seem to blur.

#52 2010-01-05 05:41:26

shamrockmonkey

no one mentioned russell athletic sweats. champion reverse weave are slightly better quality but more expensive and less comfortable.

I brush my teeth with minty paste/I hate when Liquor goes to waste.

#53 2010-01-05 05:49:57

Beatnik

This is my end of Ivy if there is such a thing. Redwings, Levis, Some Carhartt, Dickies khakis and garage shirts. Pea coat and newsboy cap at the moment.
I'm lucky that I don't have to be too smart at work.

#54 2010-01-05 05:50:57

Alex Roest

#55 2010-01-05 05:58:36

Beatnik

Totally agree with that post Alex. I have A Russell Athletic grey sweat from 20 or so years ago, bought from Flip. Still looks great but sadly my girth has out grown it.

#56 2010-01-05 06:22:37

Alex Roest

#57 2010-01-05 06:30:29

Beatnik

You bounder! You lured me into that trap!

No, Old Gibbo does know his stuff, of course. Just sometimes...

#58 2010-01-05 10:10:47

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

... The week Chet died there was a black framed photograph of him in the center of JS' window...

Russell Athletics to the right. Duck Heads to the left.

#59 2010-01-05 10:12:08

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

#60 2010-07-24 09:44:58

Rip Rig & Panic

I thought this thread worth re-visiting.
Every trip I make now to some 'hip' Americana shop depresses me.  I won't stop going just in case, but downmarket campus/western/workwear seems to be taking over.  I hated seeing those rockabilly-style jackets in J. Simons.  Stuff was creeping in that I thought was pushing it.  But, I guess he had to sell what sells.  I just want no part of it.  The inoffensive snap-button Ruddock I bought from our local Oxfam will do for planting and composting etc.  Everybody has to have a bit of outdoor/decorating wear after all. 
All the workwear I had went, including an old Teamsters zip-up jacket.  I began to dislike the blue collar connotations.  (Before anyone starts, I come from a blue collar family: mining and engineering).  I just want more cotton, cashmere and lambswool.  More angora and alpaca in the mix.  I don't want work boots, I want nice, comfortable loafers.

#61 2010-07-24 22:25:32

Horace

Are Russell and Champion still doing anything in the US?  I do remember the reverse weave.  I also remember right before the end, when it started to go down hill, there was a series of ads, pretty hip, minimalist colors for the time, in a lot of the NY magazines.  It showed a couple of squash players (or was it racquets?) wearing grey and blue sweats.  I thought against the other ads of the time, these had a nice composition and simplicity.

Last edited by Horace (2010-07-24 22:26:57)

""This is probably the last Deb season...because of the stock market, the economy, Everything..." - W. Stillman.

#62 2010-07-25 00:45:47

Rip Rig & Panic

Board footer