You are not logged in.

#1 2010-07-23 04:37:01

Rip Rig & Panic

Bernard&Norman: Soho Night And Day

Another rather expensive and elusive book: as featured in 'Town' magazine, about which we should ask Staceyboy to write us a piece.  I assume it discusses bits of the area some of our older members would have recognised, instead of focusing upon the 'characters' as in Farson's book.  Mind you, it's the Bohemian, 1950s, McInnes side of it that tends to be interesting, running into 'Vince', Gee, the swimming baths at Marshall Street and the first stirrings of the Peacock Revolution that got Flusser so flustered and which we are slightly in revolt over...

#2 2010-07-24 09:55:55

Staceyboy
Ivy Archivist

Re: Bernard&Norman: Soho Night And Day

Yes a really nice book that can be horribly expensive to track down now. Now that I've got my head together a bit I’ll set about scanning a few choice images from it and post them up. That said, the text is pretty special too. True story: ordered a copy of the book many moons ago from the British Library. Took around 3 months to arrive on my desk in work but I was pleased all the same. Two weeks later find an ex-libris copy in a tatty secondhand bookshop in Newport for £1 - alongside a 1st edition of McInnes' "England Half, Half English" also ex-libris, also a quid. Result! Just goes to show that you've got to never stop searching and you've got to keep the faith, brothers!

Staceyboy

http://thetownoutside.tumblr.com

#3 2010-07-24 09:58:49

Rip Rig & Panic

Frank has his own thread.  Very underrated writer, I think, but perfect on that sitting up all night over a cold cup of coffee in the caff, benny-inhaler twilight world.  The stuff of nightmares really.

#4 2010-07-27 12:11:56

Staceyboy
Ivy Archivist

http://thetownoutside.tumblr.com

Board footer