You are not logged in.

#1 2010-08-04 05:09:54

Rip Rig & Panic

Brolly Boys

This was an interesting little phase circa 1970 that almost cost me my right eye.  I've no definite intention of returning to the subject of suedeheads, but, lacking Russell Street's knowledge of Ivy clothing, I'm having to throw in bits and pieces as they occur to me.  Anyway, here in the gritty Midlands, likely lads (and sometimes lasses) acquired cheap brollies which were then used as offensive weapons.  They tended to be wearing Prince of Wales jackets with big lapels, lacy shirts, 'Ruperts' and those crappy English loafers Uncle hated so intensely.  I was stabbed by one of these beauties, and almost fell foul of another pair in the grounds of Nottingham Castle.  Managed to talk my way out of that one.

England whilst I was growing up was no place for a sensitive child like meself.

#2 2010-08-04 07:50:12

Re: Brolly Boys

Sorry to hear of your unfortunate run ins, but in a nod to suedeheads I used to carry one. To be honest it's a bother to keep with you and I was trying too hard. It happens.

Imperials, Cardies & Boss Sounds!

#3 2010-08-04 09:25:36

Harpo
The Best In The West

I've got a lovely brolly - a very thin, classic black one. Hard to find in the UK now - it's all chunky golf style, or pop-up ones. Bought it in Madrid, which has a lot of traditional Spanish fan shops that also do  lovely brolleys - I suppose the technology is related. Looks good with a white mac over a suit. I don't like getting it wet though.......!

Also, Madrid is excellent for loafers - they're everywhere. I bought a pair of Spanish made, no-name Sebago-alikies. Great leather.

Randy lower-class trifler

#4 2010-08-05 09:44:56

macabee

"One martini is all right. Two are too many, and three are not enough"
James Thurber

#5 2010-08-05 10:14:21

Rip Rig & Panic

I have a swell number from the 30s.  Never been opened.

Board footer