You are not logged in.

#1 2010-08-06 17:12:23

Kingstonian

Pulling birds back in the day

An Alfie-style guide. Where to meet them. What to say to it etc.

http://www.nickelinthemachine.com/2009/06/the-london-spy-a-discreet-guide-to-the-citys-pleasures/

Hammersmith Palais gets a mention. I remember it used to be free on Sundays - International Au Pair Nite. Ray McVay and his terrible orchestra when all you wanted was a disco.

#2 2010-08-07 00:23:21

Rip Rig & Panic

Re: Pulling birds back in the day

We've started watching 'Whatever Happened To The Likely Lads?' again on DVD.  My daughter loves old British comedy.  It's heartbreaking, when they go on a tour of their teenage years and find the Roxy Ballroom is now beneath a multi-storey car park.  Reminded me that my old stamping ground, 'Cleopatras', is now long gone and something like Matalan has taken its place.  It had been 'Clouds' in the 60s and I think the old Motown review appeared there.  I've heard there was a poor turn-out at some of the bigger venues.
You had to go up a long flight of stairs.  The bouncer would then look you over.  I worked there for a bit, early 1977, but wasn't there on the Friday night he got shot by some disgruntled soul boy.  Friday night was always Northern night.  Derby was always behind the times.

#3 2010-08-07 00:42:25

Rip Rig & Panic

#4 2010-08-07 02:24:09

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

I thought James Bolan had put a stop on 'Whatever Happened To The Likely Lands?' being released again, maybe that's just the film?

Rememeber in Chester the fabled 'grab a granny nights' on Thursday nights at The Plantation was the place if you wanted an easy pull. And in Ellesmere Port the infamous 'Wave Cave' (The Waveley) if you wanted a dose of crabs.

There seemed to be a dirge of crap places in the late '80's and early '90s playing Bross and the utter shite that was in the charts.  Liverpool was still stuck in a post-Bleasdale slumber, then clubwise, in around '93 and '94 the likes of Heebiejeebies brought Acid Jazz somewhat late to the masses.

Vibe-Rations in Spectra-Sonic-Sound

#5 2010-08-07 04:36:26

Rip Rig & Panic

60s and early 70s dolly birds always seem friendly and attractive.  'Crumpet', a la Harold Steptoe.  Not like the sluttish, aggressive, tattoo-marked, pierced tarts walking around nowadays.  Even 'respectable' women seem to have a tattoo or two.

Board footer