You are not logged in.

#1 2010-08-06 12:34:49

Rip Rig & Panic

Now?

As a follow-on from Jim's '1981' thread.

Me:  losing my hair - short-sighted and pot-bellied - twice married father of two daughters.
Wearing:  Brooks Brothers, Bass, Allen Edmonds, J. Press, Paul Stuart, Alan Paine - loving polo shirts and knitwear.
Profession:  Educationalist - coaching teenagers through their A-Levels mostly.
Music:  Chet, Miles, Anita, Ella, Trane, best of Blue Note, Verve etc.
Sober as a judge.  Quit the fags.
Cat-owner.

#2 2010-08-06 12:46:59

The_Shooman
A pretty face

Re: Now?

#3 2010-08-08 02:39:24

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

Tradder than 'Trad':

'Vintage' design classics - By which I just mean things like not buying new Weejuns, but searching out proper ones...
Happiest in restaurants for lunch or left alone in my study with my old music, books & friends.
Far more mellow, which you may not believe, but then you never knew me before. My current desire to glass people is a big step forward in me managing my innate style fascism. No longer do I wish to burn people at the stake. I suspect I'm growing up..   wink
Physically, an 'Old Boy' might sum me up well in its literal sense - Puck grown old. Husband, Father & multiple small-time company director. But still that whey-faced, sharp-nosed truant inside.

Business as unusual!

#4 2010-08-08 10:34:30

CMC

"Negative stuff always backfires on the troll." — Russell Street
"No insight comes from smearing and sneering." — Big Tony
"Find something useful to do." — Nicholas J. Storey

#5 2010-08-08 13:15:32

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

#6 2010-08-08 13:24:01

Rip Rig & Panic

You wear them, they don't wear you.  What could be more straightforward than that?  The moment I begin feeling self-conscious, I do something about it.  The aim is not to arrive at that point.

#7 2010-08-08 13:26:30

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

... Thinking of my introduction into all of this - Those Jazz LPs of my Uncle's - They were a total stylistic experience: Graphic art, design, clothes, photography, the liner notes and most importantly the music. Even the typography employed set them apart into a world of their own in Yorkshire in 1978.

It's all a lot deeper than 'just clothes', but what it absolutely isn't is the grafting of any particular meaning on to the clothes themselves.

The clothes are innocent!

#8 2010-08-08 13:32:58

Rip Rig & Panic

Russell Street came to this at a good, impressionable age.  I grew up hearing jazz and disliked it enormously (or was, at best, indifferent to it), but I kind of knew my father wore good quality clothes (aside from those nylon drip-dry shirts).  Certainly the clothes are innocent, but there's still a journey involved of marvellous complexity; and you have to care; and - maybe - you reach the conclusion there's no alternative and everything you wear will be a variation - nothing more - on what you've been wearing for so long.  It'll probably become less dressy to a degree, but that's all.

#9 2010-08-08 13:39:59

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

Maybe it's like your signature?

You start off signing your name in various ways, experimenting, but then a certain way of writing your name sticks with you.

Same with your personal style?

#10 2010-08-08 13:41:35

Rip Rig & Panic

Mine's illegible, with a squiggly line beneath.  Make summat o' that!!

#11 2010-08-08 14:03:52

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

wink

#12 2010-08-08 14:05:29

Quay

Elsewhere I have a signature line that is also a signature line:

"When we remember we are all mad,
the mysteries disappear
and life stands explained."
- Mark Twain, Notebook entry, 1898.

Over the years, delving into this madness, noting its peculiar particularity that is also in everyone, making it the most general of human traits.

And now living happily with this notion of all being mad and watching how everyone deals with it.

Perhaps a new appreciation of voyeurism? Perhaps.

But certainly not "Puck grown old," not for me, as Robin Goodfellow is timeless. Puck grown up is no longer Puck, no longer able to restore amends or make merry with the forest-wandering mortals.

Hmm, but since this is a clothing forum: navy blazers, university stripe shirts and watchbands. I seem mildly obsessed with those things now, much more so than then.

"It is my belief that nearly any invented quotation, played with confidence, stands a good chance to deceive."
- Mark Twain

#13 2010-08-08 14:15:01

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

Good choices.

Puck grown up is not something I could claim. Just grown old.

#14 2010-08-08 14:26:31

Quay

"It is my belief that nearly any invented quotation, played with confidence, stands a good chance to deceive."
- Mark Twain

Board footer