You are not logged in.

#1 2010-08-09 09:44:04

Rip Rig & Panic

The Minimalist Wardrobe

Was it not the case, gentlemen, that the young men on the Ivy League campuses owned relatively little in the way of clothing?  I think of myself as owning next to nothing and yet my wardrobe and drawers are bulging.  To answer Colin's question, you really don't stop altogether - unless, perhaps, you are Ian Strachan.

#2 2010-08-09 09:55:28

Re: The Minimalist Wardrobe

Spent part of the weekend going through the closets and thinning things out a bit. I told my wife I'm pruning.

Imperials, Cardies & Boss Sounds!

#3 2010-08-09 10:06:08

Quay

Some owned very little, others arrived with packing cases bulging with clothes. Some were minimalists, others essentially swanned around campus in a new getup every day. In some places there were tales of weekly deliveries from the Andover Shop and like places while others were having patches put on the elbows of their tweeds because they really were wearing thin.

What I find interesting is that the minimalist, patched-up folks often had old, storied American names (Cabot, Biddle, Banks, Adams, etc.) and banked at Morgan's Private Bank while the swans often were the new kids on campus. One set had come to campus to attend school while the other was perpetually trying to arrive.

But to my eye, they all looked pretty smart.

"It is my belief that nearly any invented quotation, played with confidence, stands a good chance to deceive."
- Mark Twain

#4 2010-08-09 12:13:55

Trojan

I love the idea of minimalism - I'm forever pruning - books, cds, household items, indeed I follow such websites as Zen Habits and MnMList, but it's a constant battle - my mind easily defaults to 'acquire'.

I'm getting better though, and I feel better for it.

Robbo what a fucking wanker you are.

Board footer