You are not logged in.

#1 2010-08-10 14:36:50

Rip Rig & Panic

Dexys and The Bureau

Like Weller, they have a lot to answer for.  Massive around 1979/80 with a dedicated minority of lads I knew who suddenly switched from their polo shirts and Hush Puppies to woolly hats, leather coats, drinking pints of tea in caffs and reading Irish literature:  'The Ginger Man' seemed to be a favourite.  I wasn't entirely convinced and the fact that my sister-in-law capered to 'Come On Eileen' at her wedding disco has done little to diminish my predjudices.  What was that soap-dodging all about?  The other lot were a cult thing; seemed to come and go; some tune about Derek Bentley, wasn't there?

#2 2010-08-10 15:06:03

Rip Rig & Panic

Re: Dexys and The Bureau

I admired their early exuberance; there had been nothing quite like it, I suppose, in, as you say, British pop music.  That's all really.

#3 2010-08-10 17:32:21

Natural Sole Brother
Ivy, naturally.

Re: Dexys and The Bureau

The Bureau were crap. Just the musos minus the talent.

Dexys do indeed have a lot to answer for: a lot of great music.

Kevin Rowland's first three albums are a great body of British pop music from a very skilled and talented operator. Yes of course he paid heavy debts to others who came before him, be it Van Morrison or David Bowie or even Becker & Fagen or whoever, but Searching For The Young Soul Rebels, Too Ray Ay and Don't Stand Me Down all contain some breath-taking pop music. Compare what he was doing to practically anything that was emanating from these Isles at the time in the pop field and I feel KR can be justifiably proud of much of it.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2yyuu … what_music

Board footer