You are not logged in.

#1 2010-08-11 13:50:21

Rip Rig & Panic

London: The Biography

Just reading this wholly fascinating book by Peter Ackroyd.  I've always been intrigued by London, as by English history, and this sheds light upon many mysteries regarding street names etc.  I think, if I was a Londoner born-and-bred, this would enhance my experience of living in the city.

#2 2010-08-11 13:58:32

heikki k
The Ivyist's Ivyist

Re: London: The Biography

marvellous book. i read it about a year ago, i'm very keen on well written history of basically whatever era. also, having fallen in love with london since i visited the first time in 1978 (was eight years old, w/ my grandparents), i find the book truly fascinating.

i must have a read on ackroyd's hawksmoor bigraphy i guess. ..as far as i'll finnish the monty python bio i'm reading at the moment and get through the adolf hitler bio by ian kershaw which is next on the line.

#3 2010-08-11 14:01:14

Rip Rig & Panic

Kershaw is an academic who does not use one word where a hundred will do.

#4 2010-08-11 15:05:01

formby

It's a good book. I like that you can just dip into individual chapters.

"Dressing, like painting, should have a residual stability, plus punctuation and surprise." - Richard Merkin

Souvent me Souvient

#5 2010-08-11 21:02:42

ParsonOban

Same here, Heikki, except I was 13 and it somehow played on the image I had created in my head since God knows when. Haven't read the Ackroyd book, but I have "A History of London" by Stephen Inwood ... very extensive and useful if you want to bash someone's head in, as well wink

Board footer