You are not logged in.

#1 2010-06-12 02:54:25

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

In Praise Of Mr. Katon.

Some fine work of late by Mr. Katon over in Tradland.

And what's good is that he just goes back to primary sources & reports the news, unlike Mr. Alden Pyle who goes back to primary sources & then seeks to twist them to fit the 'Trad' paradigm he's picked up off the Internet message boards.

The truth will set the 'Trads' free & that's what Mr. Katon shows - Diversity & nuance.

Fine reforming work.

I'm a fan.

jim

#2 2010-06-16 19:11:12

chatsworth osborne jr.

Re: In Praise Of Mr. Katon.

I second this.  He actually posts about clothes, and specific, interesting items of clothing.  I'm starting to tire a bit of the formulaic intro, two pics and open-ended 'waddya know about x?' routine.  I suspect a feigned naivete, but his posts are the closest thing to a renaissance in the last couple years.

#3 2010-06-17 01:38:33

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

I think the difference is just as you say - He posts about the actual clothes, not an interpretation of the clothes or a theory of the clothes. And what he shows is just what a broad canvas the real American Tradition gives you in terms of fabrics, cuts, colours, the whole shebang. Daily he busts the notion that this subject is narrow & limited & it's all ben said already.

#4 2010-08-13 05:14:15

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

I have to praise Mr. Katon again & also to note that Mr. Alden Pyle is spreading his wings these days too...

THE REAL AMERICAN TRADITION is really creeping into 'Trad' these days.

- And I couldn't be happier!

'Make it big, then make it smart' as we used to say in London.

Best -

James.

#5 2010-08-13 12:35:45

katon

Thanks, James.

It's a wide world out there...

#6 2010-08-14 05:34:11

Gone_to_Gowings

Kudos to Katon.  The recent post on pre-War Barrie Ltd booters has undermined quite a few of my assumptions about the timeline of footwear e.g. various conservative shoe models offered with crepe soles (extra thick or rippled) from 1936 - admittedly in an area with a significant college population.   Never expected heavy-weight wingtip brogues with ripples soles, though.   Shell cordovan loafers in 1940 !

I appreciate the delving into the advertising of a regional retailer , rather than the established shoe manufacturers catalogues, as this can reveal some unexpected, and short-lived , hybrids and sports in the footwear bloodlines.

Well done.

#7 2010-08-14 12:38:28

Hard Bop Hank
Ivy Soul Brother

a link, please!

“No Room For Squares”
”All political art is bad – all good art is political.”
"Would there be any freedom of press or speech if one must reduce his vocabulary to vapid innocuous euphemisms?"

#8 2010-08-14 20:46:04

Gone_to_Gowings

Board footer