You are not logged in.

#1 2010-08-23 08:22:11

Rip Rig & Panic

Ivy On The Cheap

Apart from a few choice investments at John Simons - jackets and boots mostly - I've never spent much money.  I can see no great merit in it.  I buy expensive socks, but that's about it.  I prefer doing my hunting in obscure little shops nowadays.  Ebay used to be great for vintage - often still is if you want to pay American postal charges - with bits of quality Brooks coming from English sellers.  I still get most of what I want - or need.

#2 2010-08-23 08:32:09

colin
Bright Light

Re: Ivy On The Cheap

the hunt for great bits of clothing is definately satisying - perhaps more satisfying finding them in obscure locations than the really cheap deal you can often get. An ebay has its place when needed.

Having said that, its frustrating when you don't have a whole load of stuff already and you're just trying to get lots of bits together.

The guys on here having been great, helping me out with various items.

#3 2010-08-23 08:38:06

Bishop of Briggs

It's difficult to get genuine Ivy on the cheap in Britain as there is little choice available. We are mainly limited to Gant, Polo RL, Hilfiger, Jack Wills, Orvis, Timberland(?), Sebago, Sperry and the Brooks Brothers franchise. All these brands outsource manufacturing to the far east.

Contrary to lies of FNB and Woofboxer, I (and most of the other "Buff Bastards") have been banned from posting on this forum. There are only a few posters left so don't waste your time on here. This forum is dead and nobody cares.

#4 2010-08-23 08:39:19

Rip Rig & Panic

I can point anyone interested in the right direction.

#5 2010-08-23 11:21:21

Yuca

some sort of banal legitimacy

#6 2010-08-23 11:41:21

Bishop of Briggs

Of the UK "Ivy" brands, Gant is trying to get back to its roots but it is very expensive. Polo RL is charging more for poorer quality. The best value stuff is in the golf range. Hilfiger and Timberland are a joke. Sebago is slowly being destroyed by its new owners.

The Brooks store in Regent Street had some US-made OBCDs earlier in the year at £79. They appear to have gone. All the shirts (except the £150 Thom Browne rip-offs) are Malaysian and there are only a few button downs. And it does not accept the AAAC discount card!

There was a time when M&S offered good quality and value OBCDs and chinos. Everything that I have bought from M&S in recent years has been binned after a few washes or given to the charity stores.

Contrary to lies of FNB and Woofboxer, I (and most of the other "Buff Bastards") have been banned from posting on this forum. There are only a few posters left so don't waste your time on here. This forum is dead and nobody cares.

#7 2010-08-23 11:54:15

Get Smart

#8 2010-08-23 12:13:37

Bishop of Briggs

#9 2010-08-23 13:07:05

Rip Rig & Panic

#10 2010-08-23 13:49:47

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

The Weejun was coming up with some interesting NOS Manhattan shirts for awhile, very good, so long as you could cope with 60% cotton and 40% polyester material. And had a 16" neck, as per my very good self. And very cost effective, a top gentlemen in the league of our most excellently mannered Shamrockmonkey.

The truth is that most brands, if not all, have sold out to the cheapest cheeriest material and cut imaginable. All that's left for the true seeker, is small family firms or deadstock.

Vibe-Rations in Spectra-Sonic-Sound

#11 2010-08-23 14:02:42

Rip Rig & Panic

Yes, I was looking at Haspel and Palm Beach this afternoon.  On Ebay, so again we're faced with the problem of high postage.  This is not, however, the case with every seller.  There are some 'Mom and Pop' operations which keep their prices at rock bottom, for example.  I just picked up some decent cords for £20, postage included. 
Shamrockmonkey works very hard indeed, I think, and I'm running up a tab with him. 
Shops I go into still yield up Gant, Arrow, Stanley Blacker, Sero, Paul Stuart, Woolrich, Campus, London Fog, vintage Levis, Sperry, Timberland, Bass, Sears, Penney and other stuff I've never heard of.

#12 2010-08-23 14:12:32

Bishop of Briggs

#13 2010-08-23 14:13:43

Rip Rig & Panic

#14 2010-08-23 14:16:13

Bishop of Briggs

#15 2010-08-24 00:24:28

shamrockmonkey

I brush my teeth with minty paste/I hate when Liquor goes to waste.

Board footer