You are not logged in.

#1 2010-08-25 12:39:10

Rip Rig & Panic

Ray's

Does anybody bother going to the new place?  Did anyone go to the old place?  My old man talks about boxes of rarities on the counter.  I went into the new place after a visit to John's, coffee at the Stockpot.  Bought some Tubby Hayes.  As much atmosphere as the local supermarket.  I was glad to get up to Camden for more coffee then some lasagne at that great Italian in Parkway. 

The old feller went more often to Mole, I think, because it was near the station.

#2 2010-08-25 15:13:56

sunra

Re: Ray's

Rays was a treasure. I always much prefered it to Mole both for the atmosphere and the records you could find

#3 2010-08-25 15:17:08

Rip Rig & Panic

The old feller got about a bit.  Nottingham and Birmingham.  Then London, New York and New Orleans.  I also remember, when I was at school, lots of Japanese imports arriving courtesy of Pete Russell.

#4 2010-08-26 03:42:01

Gmajor7th

I walk past the old Rays almost daily and constantly pine for it. The shabby shitty branch of Oddbins which occupies the hallowed space infuriates me with its dumb banality. I walk around central London now in an almost constant rage, it's really not healthy, but it has declined since my arrival 24 years ago. It was magical then and today it still has its shabby and not so shabby glamour. Ageing is making change a difficult thing to come to terms with.

g.m.7.

#5 2010-08-26 10:38:08

Rip Rig & Panic

Perhaps trying to trace some of the places mentioned in wonderful old books like 'The London Nobody Knows' might be therapeutic.

#6 2010-08-28 08:16:12

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

Has anybody read Suggs's book on London?

It has been said that London is everything that they say New York is.

Vibe-Rations in Spectra-Sonic-Sound

#7 2010-09-03 12:54:36

SubtleCool
Ivy, but subtle with it.

Ah, don't get me started. I still smile when I think of the rare records section in Ray's which had a sign on it reading 'Hen's Teeth'.

These are the places where you LISTENED and LEARNED. Can you do that in Starbucks?

mutter mutter etc

Me? Conspicuous? Lady, I'm the invisible man.

Board footer