You are not logged in.

#1 2010-09-03 19:29:13

NJS

Ivy, Ivy, Ivy - Here's My Take

http://thenakedapegetsdressed.blogspot.com/2010/09/in-footsteps-of-colonel-percy-fawcett.html

#2 2010-09-04 00:51:08

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

Re: Ivy, Ivy, Ivy - Here's My Take

More 'Trad' I'd say. No?

#3 2010-09-04 05:12:10

NJS

I'll take your word for it. I've still got 'L' plates on in this part of the site. But doesn't 'Trad'? = iGent?

#4 2010-09-04 07:22:52

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

Sadly, yes. It's just how we sold an Ivy-esque look to the American Ask Andy crowd.

The pure source would have burned their palates.

- Too much 'Preppy' had ruined their taste-buds.

Fact.

#5 2010-09-04 18:16:46

NJS

Well, there is a great deal of interest generally in the Ivy look.

Is this summary about right (looking for free tutorials here): true 'Ivy' is something like the British, mad professor, academic look (centred on tweed sports coats and unpressed trousers plus suede shoes over twisted - and maybe - odd socks), but all with a twist (which I have not yet identified); 'Trad' is the mistaken or exaggerated (even stylized), 'take' on it by those on the outside of the tent peering in, and 'Preppie' is the look, approximating to true 'Ivy', adopted by those who may or may not, later on, cut the mustard and actually graduate from an Ivy league Uni., having learned, in the process the secret of true 'Ivy'? Or am I still, as Grayson once nicely observed, still talking out of the wrong end of my person?

Last edited by NJS (2010-09-04 18:24:10)

#6 2010-09-05 01:40:52

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

That can be one manifestation of the old Ivy look - a very comfortable old New England look. Equally Ivy can be very smart and 'Madison Avenue' in style (a term which now means nothing, but once did!)

I liked your observations on Trad & Prep.

How did America get into this pickle over its national classic tailoring style? The English & Italian traditions remained intact while America constantly played with fashions which all came with phony prevenances which confused the natives?

The happy thought is that away from the internet America does still know what it's talking about in some quarters and those are the people who keep 'the old Tradition' going.

Charlie Davidson is the acid test of all of this in the US. He sees all & knows much more. His is the name to drop in conversations with Ivyists to find out if they know their subject.

England has Mr. Simons & Japan has that guy who popped up on Chensvold's psuedo blog the other day.

#7 2010-09-05 05:41:00

NJS

I am going to memorize the name 'Charlie Davidson' this morning. Thank you, Russell Street.

#8 2010-09-05 10:17:57

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

Charlie it was who dubbed J. Press 'the new Gap'.

Nothing gets past C.

#9 2010-09-05 15:05:02

NJS

Presumably, that's Gap as in = similar to 'Fat Face' clothing? Seems to me that there's room for a PhD thesis in all this.

#10 2010-09-05 23:25:55

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

Yes. Lots of side-splitting hair-splitting.

#11 2010-09-05 23:27:00

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

... when really it should all be so easy. But people do like to make up little stories for themselves to go with their new shoes...

#12 2010-09-06 05:51:44

NJS

Perhaps there should be a new Alice book - a 'prequel' (as they say):  "Alice Just Looking In The Looking Glass" or a sequel: "Alice Back From The Looking Glass" or, maybe, "Alice In Blunderland" or even: "Alice Through The Distorting Glass"... the potential is certainly there for a series of e-books for i-Gents that, peppered with unsuitable ads, for the latest

Wrinkle-free Krimplene KrapWear for Klods from Krumpled Krapper & Ko,

would sell like hot cakes.

Of course, I just say 'Alice' but any name could be substituted...wink

Last edited by NJS (2010-09-06 09:49:53)

Board footer