You are not logged in.

#1 2010-09-09 04:20:17

Kingstonian

Trunk in Chiltern Street, Marylebone

Is that the street J. Simons is moving to ?

http://www.trunkclothiers.com/

They stock Alden and Woolrich amongst others. (Source: Permanent Style)

#2 2010-09-09 04:26:09

Toffeeman

Re: Trunk in Chiltern Street, Marylebone

Mmm.... Trunk looks nice. It's new too I think. Interesting company for the new John Simons Apparel shop which will be at number 43 I think. Blue frontage. Nice street Chiltern. Looks like many of us will be getting to know it rather well. Decent little cafe opposite the new John's.

TM

#3 2010-09-09 05:23:02

Kingstonian

Marylebone is a fine area. I spent many a day walking from Marylebone station to Holborn and back. Mooching, varying the route.  In Marylebone Lane there is the fish and chip shop, the cafe and Paul Rothe for soup and Liptauer sandwiches. Nicely located pub in Weymouth Mews plus fine residential architecture and unusual shops. So nice to be away from the dreadful Oxford Street too. You can get into the big stores from Marylebone via the back entrances.

#4 2010-09-09 06:46:16

Natural Sole Brother
Ivy, naturally.

The italian barber on Chiltern Street, Mario, was very good. Last time I walked past a couple of weeks ago he wasn't in the shop. I hope he hasn't gone as it is one of the few barbers in London where the practitioners still smoke while going about their business.

The real gem of Chiltern Street is The Blandford Cafe at the Paddington Street end, which has been in the same ownership for decades and provides a genteel version of the Full English which I've dreamt about whilst away from these shores. Celebrity dedications and endorsements on the walls range from a signed photo of Nicholas Ball which has been there since I was a boy, to a more recent Time Out namecheck from none other than Ray Davies. The menu, furniture and fixtures have remained unaltered and resplendent for a long, long time.

Marylebone remains the nicest neighbourhood in the whole of Central London for me. The pace of change has been slower than in other central areas despite some drastic rent hikes on the DeWalden estate over the last decade. Homogenisation of the area's shopping character has taken place to an extent but most of the more recent arrivals have been welcome ones.

#5 2010-09-09 06:57:20

Kingstonian

http://russelldavies.typepad.com/eggbaconchipsandbeans/2003/11/blandfords_chil.html

There was also a Welsh chapel/ library near the Baker Street area that I used to pass. 

The big travel book shop too.

Board footer