You are not logged in.

#26 2010-08-27 02:45:00

Horace

Re: To pebble grain or not...?

""This is probably the last Deb season...because of the stock market, the economy, Everything..." - W. Stillman.

#27 2010-08-27 07:46:18

Get Smart

Allen Edmonds does a pebble grain Macneil longwing brogue in tan

Alfred Sargent as mentioned above

Florsheim Imperial longwings in tan

I know of the Alden "walking shoe" you mention and they looked ok on website (iirc crepe and leather sole).  I think Orvis was even selling those last year

yes the longwing looks good with jeans, if it's a heavier blucher (double soled) then it'll probably look good with jeans.  I use the term "dress shoe" not too specifically.  The only "dress shoes" i wear with jeans anymore are longwing brogues or my Trickers brogues which are probably one of the heaviest looking shoe out there (makes the Vass budapester seem like a dainty thing).  Are Trickers brogues even dress shoes?  I've always used the qualifier that a dress shoe is something to be worn with a suit.  No way you can wear Trickers with a suit.  They're their own category of shoe.

#28 2010-08-27 08:12:44

Prof Kelp
Professor of Ivy

To throw my thoughts into the mix.........I think a longwing can look good with jeans if they are dark denim and its a heavy longwing.

I have a pair of smoothies (Church's Shannon model in burgundy with a triple sole) which can also work with dark denim, however I avoid doing so, as it looks like I'm wearing Doc's with my jeans!

I like pebblegrain and think it can look good, all depends on the shoe or boot.

http://thetownoutside.tumblr.com

#29 2010-08-27 08:43:22

Rip Rig & Panic

A shoe can be a dull thing.  I had to mooch around an outlet the other day on the way to Morrisons, and examined a few pairs of Grensons.  Difficult to stay awake.  Bit like my experience in Jones the B yesterday morning.  Show me something different!  Something to fire the imagination!  No.  So, in my mind's eye, I cherished my dusty cordo longwings, and thought about something similar in GRAIN (and about loafers, because I think Bass used to do a pair), worn with, as the good Professor says, dark denim; or even off-white tapered chinos, topped off with a navy cardie and u.s. BD.

#30 2010-08-27 15:27:39

plumsoles

New to the forum gentleman so will chuck my two pence worth in.....

Pebble grain can look very dull when tanned in a block colour ie black or walnut but when you get the hand burnished leather the pebble grain really comes to life and will look great dare I say with denim.... the only issue with wearing a lighter more formal trouser is the pebble grain looks heavy against the lighter fabric of the trouser!

The Alfred Sargent Oakley mentioned earlier look great in the flesh and the beauty of the hand burnished calf leather is that you can lighten or darken the shoe to suit...

#31 2010-08-27 15:54:44

Rip Rig & Panic

This gentleman knows his onions.  Welcome to 'Talk Ivy'.

#32 2010-08-27 16:04:11

Edouard

Tan shades

Expensive thinner calf leather: dark on the peaks, light in the valleys due to hand burnishing tan leather

Mass market thicker cow hide: light peaks, dark valleys due to an automated process

both are embossed-grained via rollers as in the family of "corrected grain"

inconsistent shrunken grain as in Dooney & Bourke All-Weather leather is a different process

#33 2010-09-02 07:54:02

Get Smart

#34 2010-09-02 11:21:55

1,966% Ivy

Another vote for pebble grain and dark denim here. I like it.

#35 2010-09-09 05:33:22

Horace

""This is probably the last Deb season...because of the stock market, the economy, Everything..." - W. Stillman.

#36 2010-09-09 10:03:59

Brideshead

Board footer