You are not logged in.

#226 2010-08-29 11:01:55

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

Re: What are you drinking at the moment ?

Vibe-Rations in Spectra-Sonic-Sound

#227 2010-08-29 17:42:04

John Rotten

Black Maple Hill handcrafted Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey.  Straight.

One the water or ice debate, I rarely put either in any whiskey.  Some, like George T Stagg, are bottled at such high proofs (GTS is bottled at a whopping 145 proof) that some water is needed in order to taste the whiskey past the burn, but for the most part, I find it doesn't do a good whiskey justice.

#228 2010-09-02 19:39:38

Elmer6453

I'm drinking my favorite drink Milo with cream.
sounds crazy but yes I put cream on my Milo, just try and post your reaction.

I just want to know who are they who love Milo with cream.
come on guys.

#229 2010-09-03 04:13:27

Kingstonian

Have been drinking Sainsbury's Irish Malt Whiskey as recommended by Hepcat's pal, Ralfy. A really nice drop at a great price from the Cooley distillery rather than the usual two multinational corporations.

I will try the other Sainsbury's 'Taste the Difference' Irish Malt in due course. It is only £15 as opposed to £13.97 for the other stuff http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHGdtpIX6cg

#230 2010-09-03 12:34:52

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

Looks good stuff, except Ralfy's wrong on one point; you can't buy supermarket whisky in Holland. I shall send him an email chastising him.

Currently drinking Ledaig 7 year old. 

Probably not a good idea to be drinking whisky in the mood I'm in. Just spent two weeks working 12 hours on a tender and was five minutes away from finishing it and then going out to celebrate by getting tremendously beer drunk and merry, when the telephone rang with an irate client pissed off about late deliverables and with the 'end user is demanding we go to another supplier' routine. 

The last time I was this pissed off, I yanked the chandelier (yet to be replaced) from the dining room ceiling and dislocated my shoulder in doing so. That was a mere two weeks ago this very evening.....

Fortunately, Art Pepper's 'Modern Art' may assist with the whisky in taking the edge off the pressure cooker.

#231 2010-09-03 17:17:30

Kingstonian

Just in from a beer festival at The Lion in Teddington - Bishop's manor. They say alcohol consumption in the UK has dropped 6% over the year for the first time since the 2nd World War.

You could see it there. Not many in. Last year in was packed on the Saturday midday and evening sessions. Only twenty beers available and a few ciders from Westons.  Could not get in to the Simply Thai restaurant as recommended by Bish, though . Fully booked though there were empty tables to be seen.

Walking back through Kingston there was a young woman walking along through the main pedestrian street who only seemed to be wearing a large pair of knickers below the waist. I am used to seeing the young girls in skirts like large belts in the evenings but that took the biscuit. Would you let your daughter out dressed like that?

#232 2010-09-06 13:40:20

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

Depends if I had her working the streets or not, like some greasy beastley Beasley Street, it was scary then and still is now.

The damage done by the banksters, is in many ways, equal to war.  And of course it was and is a war.  And my daughters will have the pleasure of paying for the 'reparations' of Blair's and Bush's folly until they're close to retirement.

'Effing repulsive isn't it?  Someone ought to do something, and of course they will. 

As an experiment in abject degeneracy, I have been following Blair's diet of a whisky before his evening meal and half bottle of wine with the food. Still I haven't been able to dissect this man who wanted to be rock star and married a groupie and a scouse git's daughter.  Maybe, we shouldn't expect more.

It's not enough booze for me, maybe if Blair drank more, he would have made better decisions instead of leading us to the empire of dirt.

Of course, 'Blair' is only six letters short of being an anagram of Bastard Liar, the prognosis was there at the beginning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8CzFVm1Yio&feature=related

#233 2010-09-06 15:41:46

Grossgrain Silk

Rodet Vosne Romanee Beaux Montes 1996. Good and how.

#234 2010-09-08 13:37:48

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

Thanks Grossgrain, that brought me back to reality. 

Still been following Blair's apertif and wine diet, no pronounced ill effects. No dt's as yet.

I won't state the name of the wine, other than it could be Lidl's finest or if not, Aldi's finest.

#235 2010-09-08 22:17:38

g-

Cheap Spanish red from '06 very much worth the $9.99--who says the dollar isn't what it used to be.

#236 2010-09-09 16:19:14

JohnL

Greysec '05 - OK but will benefit from a few more years.

"The less taste a person has in dress, the more obstinate he always seems to be. It is a great pity. Because he will never be a success as it" - Jerome K Jerome http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVHUA4dZI0o&feature=related

#237 2010-09-11 00:54:04

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

Thrifting continues: 2009 Chardonney Chevalier de Fauvert from Lidl. At 2.89 Euros, served chilled to the bone, its quite quaffable. Not much sulphates either, gauged from the clear head.

I think its possible to go cheap with certain white wines, but reds in the region of 2-3Euros are inevitably either too sweet or with a vinegar edge.

#238 2010-09-11 02:39:49

Kingstonian

Lidl have great ales on at the moment - Spitfire, Bishop's Finger etc. for £1 for a 50cl bottle. That is a cracking price.

I avoid wine to cut down alcohol consumption. It is difficult to know what to buy. Too many newspaper columnists pushing mediocre stuff. Wine tastings are all very well but there is a limited window of opportunity.

Good sherry - anybody know why prices seem to have rocketed? Matusalem seems to be twenty quid a bottle now. Last time I looked it was around a tenner. Sherry is fine because you do not have all the fuss with vintages etc. Lustau Almacenista stuff is very good indeed. Madeira and port are never major disappointments either.  More tea vicar?

#239 2010-09-11 03:52:38

helen82

I'm sitting in a coffee shop and drinking a cup of hot milk. I'm a thinner, I don't dare drinking coffee or wine. They may take bad affection to my health.

#240 2010-09-11 08:17:09

Sarcophagus

I came home last night after dinner and drinks with friends wanting another drink before going to bed.  A lack of prior planning on my part left me with only vermouth, Angostura bitters, and Gordon’s gin that a friend had left a couple of years ago.  Knowing that gin doesn’t go bad since it’s bad to begin with, I pondered whether my desperation could defeat my aversion to the stuff.  Apparently it could as I drank two pink gins and a wet martini.  I still taste the Christmas tree flavor.

Now I'm drinking black coffee.

#241 2010-09-11 15:42:29

Grossgrain Silk

Rosh Hashanna. Hermitage la Sizeanne (I think) 1999 - ridiculously closed the first night, tasting like it was 2 years old not 11. By the next day it had opened out into a magnificent drink with huge length and fantastic minerality. Alas it was a present so that's it. Alpha Crux (Fournier) 2006 - an interesting contrast starting off as a fruit bomb but with some real structure and development.

Then some Capel Riesling - v good and easy to drink and finally a bottle of Chateau Grameau 2002 - nothing much in terms of its pedigree or reputation but beautifully knit together and only 12%. Everything a lunchtime claret should be.

#242 2010-09-11 16:27:18

JohnL

Anticipating a good night in listening to the last night of the proms, I opened a half way decent bottle of claret and some port.

Ch Houssant, Grand Bourgeois, St Estephe 1995. 12.5%: a wine I have not seen much, if at all, in UK, but which I have bought 3 or 4 vintages of  in France,   A decent wine a little past its best and somewhat dried out but soft with good length and a very good value traditional lunchon claret.

The Fonseca crusted port was bottled in 2005, although a decent drink and better than any LBV I can remember, it remains a disappointment compared with the v good 2004 bottling. Not for the first time, with non-French wines where I am less familiar with vintages,  I got caught out by Majestic Wine’s frequent ploy of promoting a good vintage of a wine then switching to a less good. In this case having tasted the very good ‘04 I went back for more less than a week after the first purchase and did not notice the change in vintage Grrrrrr. Tanners crusted port produced by Johnny Graham under the Churchill name remains my favourite crusted port, the 2000 bottling is especially good.

Last edited by JohnL (2010-09-11 16:30:50)

"The less taste a person has in dress, the more obstinate he always seems to be. It is a great pity. Because he will never be a success as it" - Jerome K Jerome http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVHUA4dZI0o&feature=related

#243 2010-09-11 16:29:44

JohnL

#244 2010-09-12 08:19:05

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

Was drinking some of this fine ale yesterday:

http://www.ramsesbier.nl/?page_id=43

Hoppy ale brewed in the English and American renaissance style. Which reminds me, the reason that Belgium ales are often too sweet and not as good as the English counterparts, is that sugar cane is added as a substitute to hops. 

Hops or the lack of hops is a sure sign of the quality and drinkability of an ale.  There are peat heads in the world of whisky and in the beer world, there are hop heads.

#245 2010-09-13 13:33:26

Grossgrain Silk

#246 2010-09-13 14:19:28

Bishop of Briggs

Contrary to lies of FNB and Woofboxer, I (and most of the other "Buff Bastards") have been banned from posting on this forum. There are only a few posters left so don't waste your time on here. This forum is dead and nobody cares.

#247 2010-09-19 00:50:47

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

The quest for the ultimate cheap quality wine continues, more of Lidl's finest this weeked:
Cimarosa brand South Eastern Australian, a rather decent 14% 2009 Merlot.  For a screw cap at 2.89Euros, one cannot complain. No nasty elements at all.

More Cimarosa, Chilean Savignon Blanc, 2009.  Again, absolute value for 2.89Euros a bottle.

#248 2010-09-19 02:32:14

Maximilien de Robespierre

Last edited by Maximilien de Robespierre (2010-09-19 02:52:02)

#249 2010-09-19 04:18:56

Grossgrain Silk

Yom Kippur. Zip.

However, the glass of water immediately afterwards tasted like Lafite.

#250 2010-09-26 11:57:21

Kingstonian

Tried Penderyn Welsh 46% whisky for the first time yesterday.

It was in the 'upmarket' Wetherspoon in Putney. I only popped in for a wee, after a beer fest in The Bricklayers. They always have clean toilets and no queues in Wetherspoon.

Anyway, it was a new bottle and they gave me a glass of water to go with it. The ales were not up to much so I had an Erdinger wheat beer

Board footer