You are not logged in.

• Index
  •  » Talk Ivy
  •  » Just How Weird Do Our American Friends Think We Are?

#1 2010-09-10 08:29:58

Rip Rig & Panic

Just How Weird Do Our American Friends Think We Are?

From the point of view of: how surprised are you that English (Welsh, Scottish) men want to wear Brooks, Press, Chipp etc.?  Just curious.

#2 2010-09-10 08:36:14

farrago
Ambassador Of Ivy

Re: Just How Weird Do Our American Friends Think We Are?

Not strange at all.

We (my generation) were raised to believe that these items were always proper. You could never look bad. Getting dressed would never be an existential dilemma as it is for so many these days.

I hang out here precisely because the inhabitants understand that Trad or Ivy or Preppy  or whatever label doesn't quite fill the bill and cover all the bases. There's a greater appreciation here for the quality of these items. The Brooksgate items discussed in the other thread have a better quality than stuff being produced these days.

#3 2010-09-10 08:38:00

Rip Rig & Panic

A nice answer, I think.  Friends and family are often bemused by the level of devotion.

#4 2010-09-10 08:41:00

Get Smart

not any more weird than american anglophiles that are obsessed with english brands.  I know one guy that all he seems to buy is Fred Perry, baracuta, doc marten, trickers, paul smith, ben sherman, etc!!!

#5 2010-09-10 08:43:37

Rip Rig & Panic

Yes, I guess the crossover is pretty wide, Jason.  Of course, I know you're into our circa 1969 style.

#6 2010-09-10 08:48:09

Harpo
The Best In The West

Randy lower-class trifler

#7 2010-09-10 10:25:47

The_Shooman
A pretty face

l'm not American, but l find it really strange that English men want to wear Brooks, Press, Chipp etc. l often wonder about it.

#8 2010-09-10 10:30:52

eris

#9 2010-09-10 10:37:53

Harpo
The Best In The West

On-line gaming, yes - cuckcoo clocks, no way!

Randy lower-class trifler

#10 2010-09-10 23:36:21

Edouard

#11 2010-09-11 00:45:28

Rip Rig & Panic

I probably didn't express myself terribly well in the first place.  A lady in Pennsylvania from whom I used to buy deadstock was obviously amused - and bemused - by it all.  But she wasn't really into Ivy League, so...  I knew something about the original crossover: Oxford cloth etc.  It was a slightly idle question I was putting to you all; and, as I think other Brits will agree, there is a probably a greater level of bemusement within the UK as to why etc. etc.  Even well-meaning people tend to think of us as 'mods'.  Interestingly, I suppose, some of the time I look like a lot of other blokes over here: polo shirt, jeans or chinos.  But mine will be American made, theirs...  who knows?  There tends to be a lack of caring.  Other times, no.  Oddly enough, shoes must be American - or at least be an American name - but boots can be English, Italian, Vietnamese...  Oh, but I was forgetting the French Paraboot...  partly through indifference on my part...  But Bass, Jarman, AE, Dexter, Sebago are currently on my rack...  Bugger, so are Weston...  Forget I ever said anything...

#12 2010-09-11 02:32:24

Edouard

What's amusing is that several brands that turn up on Talk Ivy and were/are apparently stocked in the Simon shop, such as Haggar?, would have never been stocked in an upscale collegiate shop hundreds of miles from New England, much less near an Ivy campus. Haggar in its heyday was a mid-level department store brand, at best, in the '60s. Ditto Van Heusen(sp?) and several others. That's not a snide remark, just an observation of UK unfamiliarity with genuine Ivy type brands, most of which are defunct.

The New England brands were not necessarily made anywhere near New England. The Trad blog turned up some NOS Press shirts with RN# (manufacturers i.d.) of a rural South Carolina shirt manufacturer who probably also contracted department store private label shirts. Barrie Bootery's (two stores away from Press New Haven) better dress shoes were made by Cheaney in Northampton. Most Ivy knitwear was from the UK - it had Anglophilic snob appeal. Most of the wool fabric was from the UK. Troy Guild (Press, amongst others) shirtings were from D&J Anderson of Scotland. Hats from Chrisites, if not Lock. English silk neckties. English bridle leather belts. English made odd vests. Invertere, Burberry, Acquascutum. Corgi socks. Ivy shops specialized in U.S. tailored natural shoulder suits and sport coats of British fabrics. Heck, even khaki chino is British.

Of the few items of Ivy apparel not British in origin were tassel loafers, WeeJuns, saddle shoes(?) and a predilection for wearing cream colored wool crew socks with the aforementioned. Dart-less sack jackets, dunno?

#13 2010-09-11 02:47:03

Kingstonian

#14 2010-09-11 03:53:49

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

#15 2010-09-11 05:55:53

Rip Rig & Panic

#16 2010-09-11 09:31:00

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

Bean is a great case in point - You gotta be hip to wear Bean in the UK. You have to be I.T.K.

Andy - Post on the Brooks Bros. 'Spencer' collar to follow... Maybe tomorrow... Great to talk to you today. Thanks for your time.

#17 2010-09-11 11:28:17

Rip Rig & Panic

#18 2010-09-13 05:26:05

Sports Fan

• Index
  •  » Talk Ivy
  •  » Just How Weird Do Our American Friends Think We Are?

Board footer