Re: Anyone for Aran

#27 2010-01-03 04:50:45

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

#28 2010-01-03 05:25:51

shamrockmonkey

wouldn't know, never been there. as far as i do know the larger and mid-sized cities in new england tend to have sizeable "shanty" or "donkey" irish populations, so id assume they  have a "crossover" rather than purely "ivy" image there as well. the clancy brothers got their start singing to millworkers in manchester, new hampshire...and gave more free advertising to the irish wool industry than 100 yrs of adverts could have. in any case, i like the damned things...

I brush my teeth with minty paste/I hate when Liquor goes to waste.

#29 2010-01-03 05:58:58

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

- I've been there!

Had a nice Italian dinner too. Lasagna. We had a little Sar Wars style sword fight with the bread sticks in there also. Nearby was a menswear shop which sold imported Burberry items at vastly inflated prices. The restaurant was a little place with various signed photos in the window. Was Liza one of them? '89 it would have been. There was a great record shop there also.

We were heading off into Norman Rockwell land at the time on a whim...  Dear me, the main roads are long and featureless around there unless you like big green trees & nothing but...

Back to Arans: Ivy tends to steal things from all over so it's no big deal. It's a magpie style.

... I think I also once had brunch in Manchester at a Diner on the corner. Very good Sausage, Eggs, Hash Brownies, Toast. Very bad Coffee.

American Coffee is quite unique. As is American Tea. One enjoys these things for what they are. Why else travel?

#30 2010-01-03 10:29:17

Prof Kelp
Professor of Ivy

/\ I've been there too....in 84 I spent a few months in New Hampshire and had some good nights out in Manchester. My memory is not as good as RS coz I hardly remember any details (though I have a very good reason for the hazy memory) I do remember a good second hand shop clothes shop (vintage shop for our younger bredrin!) from which I had a number of general items, shirts, cardies and the like. The only thing I still have from there is a 50's tartan sort of bowtie style thing (not a bowtie, but it does cross at the neck, popular with 50's prom kings!!!) Funnily enough I found it just yesterday when sorting out my old ties in storage............sorry for the self indulgent post, but this stirred up some nice memeories.

Oh and the Fred Astaire dance studio as well!

http://thetownoutside.tumblr.com

#31 2010-01-03 13:23:55

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

Self indulgent is fine.  We share more that way!

#32 2010-01-04 22:41:29

shamrockmonkey

I brush my teeth with minty paste/I hate when Liquor goes to waste.

#33 2010-01-05 02:27:40

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

I got you & you are right.

Context is everything.

#34 2010-09-13 09:17:11

JDelage

I'm looking for an Aran in shawl, or possibly turtleneck (aka polo neck on some UK sites for some reason).  I'm finding some offering in polo neck Aran jumpers, and some offering on shawl collar cardigans, but no shawl collar Aran jumper.  Anyone?

Thanks,

JD

#35 2010-09-13 10:57:27

Harpo
The Best In The West

Randy lower-class trifler

#36 2010-09-13 11:05:29

Harpo
The Best In The West

#37 2010-09-13 13:11:23

Rip Rig & Panic

#38 2010-09-13 13:23:04

Harpo
The Best In The West

Hey Rip - you were after a reasonably priced lambswool shawl collar cardi, as I recall? Well I was in TKMax in Manchester the other day (I know how you loathe TK Maxx!) and they had loads of lovely pure lambswool shawl collar cardigans by Fredrick Anderson of Copenhagen. I bought one in a mid-grey - lovely thick knit with a broad collar (not like those trendy fashion ones). Twenty odd quid - well worth a look if you can bare going in.

#39 2010-09-13 13:25:48

Rip Rig & Panic

Thanks for that!  It's not so much that I loathe them as I never have found anything worthwhile.  I saw a quite nice Bean example on Ebay, but it was the wrong colour altogether.  Navy or grey are the only acceptable colours for me.

Board footer