You are not logged in.

#226 2010-09-09 02:44:06

Gmajor7th
Member
Posts: 36

Re: The Ivy Book

Not quite made it to Tuscany yet. In Muswell Hill at the moment actually - Kinks-ville. Really pleased, and rather relieved, that most of the Ivy nuts who post here have enjoyed the book. We felt we had a better chance of getting a publisher interested if we pitched it modestly - gifty price point, emphasis on visuals, accessible, inclusive, all of that. If this one sells then we'll see about doing something else. Anyhow, just to let you know that there'll be a decent sized feature on THE IVY LOOK in The Independent on Sunday a week this Sunday, that is 19 September, including an interview with Graham Marsh and JP Gaul. There may well be a pic of Mr.Marsh from the early 60s in there too...

g.m.7.

 

#227 2010-09-09 05:06:19

Rip Rig & Panic
Member
Posts: 4697

Re: The Ivy Book

Gmajor7th wrote:

Not quite made it to Tuscany yet. In Muswell Hill at the moment actually - Kinks-ville. Really pleased, and rather relieved, that most of the Ivy nuts who post here have enjoyed the book. We felt we had a better chance of getting a publisher interested if we pitched it modestly - gifty price point, emphasis on visuals, accessible, inclusive, all of that. If this one sells then we'll see about doing something else. Anyhow, just to let you know that there'll be a decent sized feature on THE IVY LOOK in The Independent on Sunday a week this Sunday, that is 19 September, including an interview with Graham Marsh and JP Gaul. There may well be a pic of Mr.Marsh from the early 60s in there too...

g.m.7.

Look forward to reading that.

 

#228 2010-09-09 05:20:21

Yuca
Member
Posts: 4737

Re: The Ivy Book

Gmajor7th wrote:

Anyhow, just to let you know that there'll be a decent sized feature on THE IVY LOOK in The Independent on Sunday a week this Sunday, that is 19 September, including an interview with Graham Marsh and JP Gaul. There may well be a pic of Mr.Marsh from the early 60s in there too...

g.m.7.

I'll buy it specifically for that feature.


'some sort of banal legitimacy'

'vintage advertisement, film, or album cover'

 

#229 2010-09-09 05:27:24

Kingstonian
Member
From: sea to shining sea
Posts: 3205

Re: The Ivy Book

Will your man be back on the Robert Elms show on radio London talking about the book?

Speaking of Elms, I note 'The way we wore' is out of print. Anybody read it?

 

#230 2010-09-09 05:31:58

Rip Rig & Panic
Member
Posts: 4697

Re: The Ivy Book

Kingstonian wrote:

Will your man be back on the Robert Elms show on radio London talking about the book?

Speaking of Elms, I note 'The way we wore' is out of print. Anybody read it?

I have, K.  Quite annoying.

 

#231 2010-09-09 07:24:05

Alex Roest
Member
From: The Hague, The Netherlands
Posts: 2165

Re: The Ivy Book

Kingstonian wrote:

Speaking of Elms, I note 'The way we wore' is out of print. Anybody read it?

http://www.uppers.org/showArticle.asp?article=698

 

#232 2010-09-14 13:53:51

1966
1,966% Ivy
Posts: 2378

Re: The Ivy Book

(Late to the party) - what a great little book.


38S | 15/32 | 32/28 | US 8.5D/UK 8E
_______________________________

It is a pleasure to be able to quote lines to fit any occasion. ~ Abraham Lincoln

 

#233 2010-09-14 14:52:32

Toffeeman
Member
Posts: 103

Re: The Ivy Book

God bless you all! People seem to like it - phew! And just to remind you - there is an interview with Graham and I in the magazine that comes with The Independent on Sunday (UK of course...) this forthcoming day of the (Christian version of the, not that he actually exists of course) Lord. It'll no doubt be on their website too at the time. I don't believe we said anything that interesting but she stayed awake for 2 and a half hours of questions. At least there'll be a great old photo of Graham as arch-Ivyist from the early 60s, and a dodgy one of me from the 80s...

TM

 

#234 2010-09-14 15:08:49

Rip Rig & Panic
Member
Posts: 4697

Re: The Ivy Book

Of course we all have to buy the glossy, John, if only to cut out the pictures.

Love,
Andy xx

 

#235 2010-09-14 16:38:59

adam!
The Future
Posts: 608

Re: The Ivy Book

I still haven't bought it. Slacking.

 

#236 2010-09-15 00:13:24

heikki k
The Ivyist's Ivyist
Posts: 1405

Re: The Ivy Book

In agreement with the praise on the book. Great little book, good, intelligent read with a deep devout knowledge and a wry sense of humour.

In addition to all what's said on it i must say i like the way the book is done lay-out and typewise. Beautiful, minimalist layout with very approprate typography. Franklin Gothic in the captions  - how much more american can you get typewise?

Also, i like how the book feels in my hands - the uncoated paper is just perfect and underlines the books themes and the ideas of the soft, natural ivy look just perfectly.

Can someone buy me the Independent issue w/ the interwiev please? not sure i'll get ti anywhere in turku. will pay the rag, postage + a bit extra. thanks.

edits: fucking typos

Last edited by heikki k (2010-09-15 00:15:01)


---
get your kicks on route six six six

 

#237 2010-09-15 00:59:21

Moose Maclennan
Ivy Inspiration
From: Hernando's Hideaway
Posts: 4250

Re: The Ivy Book

^
indeed - 'Made in China' often gets a bad press here, but it is a beautifully done little book, right down to the dustjacket.


'You know there are some of us that are just fated to look like a mini-cab driver. It doesn't matter what clothes you put on, or how much you pay for them, you're still going to look like a mini-cab driver.' (John Peel)

 

#238 2010-09-15 01:16:00

Rip Rig & Panic
Member
Posts: 4697

Re: The Ivy Book

heikki k wrote:

In agreement with the praise on the book. Great little book, good, intelligent read with a deep devout knowledge and a wry sense of humour.

In addition to all what's said on it i must say i like the way the book is done lay-out and typewise. Beautiful, minimalist layout with very approprate typography. Franklin Gothic in the captions  - how much more american can you get typewise?

Also, i like how the book feels in my hands - the uncoated paper is just perfect and underlines the books themes and the ideas of the soft, natural ivy look just perfectly.

Can someone buy me the Independent issue w/ the interwiev please? not sure i'll get ti anywhere in turku. will pay the rag, postage + a bit extra. thanks.

edits: fucking typos

Just PM with your address, h, and I'll make certain you get a copy.

 

#239 2010-09-15 01:59:04

heikki k
The Ivyist's Ivyist
Posts: 1405

Re: The Ivy Book

thanks!

VERY much appreciated!


---
get your kicks on route six six six

 

#240 2010-09-15 02:18:44

adam!
The Future
Posts: 608

Re: The Ivy Book

Toffee - is it out at Foyles or Hatchards or something yet? Might take a trip later if it's out.

 

#241 2010-09-15 04:47:09

Toffeeman
Member
Posts: 103

Re: The Ivy Book

Yes, Adam! Hatchards and Foyles have it. In both shops fashion is on the 2nd floor.

Thanks.

TM

 

#242 2010-09-15 04:57:11

Rip Rig & Panic
Member
Posts: 4697

Re: The Ivy Book

File under 'Cult Classics' - like 'The Dice Man' and 'Last Exit To Brooklyn'.

 

#243 2010-09-15 07:37:02

adam!
The Future
Posts: 608

Re: The Ivy Book

Just been in to hatchards to buy my copy - had to stop myself from reading it in the store.

The fit as hell 'rah' lady in front of my bought a copy too!

Great so far!!

 

#244 2010-09-15 07:45:31

Rip Rig & Panic
Member
Posts: 4697

Re: The Ivy Book

I hope you got her number.  John will never forgive you otherwise.

 

#245 2010-09-15 08:04:08

Yuca
Member
Posts: 4737

Re: The Ivy Book

Mods! (R Barnes) came out in the very early 80s (I'm not going to check the year, lazy I know) and ended up becoming a million seller (or so I read somewhere) and certainly a massive influence on loads of people (mostly adolescent males).

Although The Ivy Look is a better book than Mods! in most/all respects, I think it would be somewhat unfair to compare the two (even though I just have); for one thing, I don't think the demand for the former would have existed without the influence of the latter.  The reason I mention Mods! is because I wonder if TIL might end up having a similar effect i.e. a number of people choosing to live by, or at the least be inspired by, obscure and very precise stylistic values that are in stark contrast in many respects to what the majority of the population (particularly outside the US) live by.  With Barnes' book the phenomenon already existed, but Mods! greatly encouraged and educated those already into it and newcomers, I suspect TIL might have a similar function.

I'm not implying that all on here are former mods, but the influence of Barnes' book (not necessarily on people on this forum) is undeniable, my point is that TIL could have a similar influence (albeit on an older age group).   

Time will tell . . .

Last edited by Yuca (2010-09-15 08:07:17)


'some sort of banal legitimacy'

'vintage advertisement, film, or album cover'

 

#246 2010-09-15 08:10:00

Rip Rig & Panic
Member
Posts: 4697

Re: The Ivy Book

It's more professional and clever than Barnes' book, I feel.  It covers all the bases.  Graham Marsh is a seasoned performer.

 

#247 2010-09-15 08:18:19

Rip Rig & Panic
Member
Posts: 4697

Re: The Ivy Book

It takes a lot of skill to present an accessible art book.  Taschen should offer to do a reprint.  Why shouldn't the authors make something from it before it begins changing hands on Ebay?  The 'Take Ivy' of the future maybe; minus the hype.

 

#248 2010-09-15 08:25:19

Toffeeman
Member
Posts: 103

Re: The Ivy Book

Yuca - that's a very perceptive reading of the situation. I do worry about this. Good as the essay Barnes wrote about mods was (and I think the majority of the pictures are pretty awful) it was clearly one man's own reading of a wide and complex cultural phenomenon. I know many a young chap who got carried away with the minutiae of the whole thing only to end up disappearing up his own crack. Ivy's saving grace is twofold : firstly I think it's too subtle and too hard to really pin down. Nobody ever called themselves IVYIST.....(yet)..... And also if this does happen - no real big deal. Men go crazy hunting down suits with hooked vents, Alden declare record profits, John Simons is knighted and put in charge of Brooks Brothers. If truth be told it's Graham and mine's secret goal.

"A million seller"........speechless...........

TM

 

#249 2010-09-15 08:32:38

Rip Rig & Panic
Member
Posts: 4697

Re: The Ivy Book

"Arise, Sir John, and go ye forth to..."  Regent Street?  Or the outsourcing locations?

 

#250 2010-09-15 08:48:43

Toffeeman
Member
Posts: 103

Re: The Ivy Book

Lord Simons of Hill Rise - has a ring to it


TM

 

Board footer

Powered by PunBB
© Copyright 2002–2008 Rickard Andersson