You are not logged in.

• Index
  •  » Talk Ivy
  •  » A Trip Down Memory Lane Part Four: Quadrophenia - The Album

#1 2010-09-15 08:30:08

Rip Rig & Panic

A Trip Down Memory Lane Part Four: Quadrophenia - The Album

For all you old mods...  this was the most exciting album, for me, around the autumn of 1976.  I ran away from home, wearing trainers and a parka, and I wanted to be just like that kid in the black and white pictures.  Now, I can't even recall his name.  I'd never heard of a 'concept album'.  I didn't even know that much about the early days of The Who.  A 'white Ivy League jacket and buckskin shoes' - have I got that right? - meant nothing to me during 1975/76, nothing at all.  But I thought the music was powerful and we all flocked to see the movie at the local ABC.  Dire.

#2 2010-09-15 08:41:59

Rip Rig & Panic

Re: A Trip Down Memory Lane Part Four: Quadrophenia - The Album

In fact, the violence that followed the movie forced me off the streets and into my bedroom.  I began to read and think a bit more.

#3 2010-09-15 08:52:41

Get Smart

I didnt get into the movie and record until early 80s and even then it hit me that the record didnt sound particularly "mod", even tho the movie was blatantly so.

The Who are another band I never understood their appeal with mods esp as they went into their 1970s arena rock sound.  Sure the mid 60s and High Numbers tracks are classic "mod" tunes, but they were so far removed from mod by later efforts.

#4 2010-09-15 09:34:30

Doug

Style is not neutral; it gives moral directions

#5 2010-09-15 10:05:55

Alex Roest

The original album was released in November '73 and the story and the photos it contained interested me deeply. I can still remember being puzzled about 'leapers' when I read that story BTW, took me years to find out what they were smile Although I was only twelve when I first heard Quadrophenia (via a mate who was a Who fan) in late '74 I was already interested in Mods as such and I tried to find out as much as I could about them. Of course the film was only released in '79 and since we'd been fantasizing as young kids for such a thing to happen it was exciting news when we first heard about it being in the making in '78.
At the time I thought the film was great although it's really just so-so of course. I can still appreciate the early Who stuff albeit to an extent only i.e. when being nostalgic... The last meaningful thing they did musically was Who's next I think...

#6 2010-09-15 11:32:03

zuckermandl

As someone who tends nowadays, via a long fascination with US Garage and UK Freakbeat and psychedelia*, towards an appreciation of the heavier/damaged/fried end of early 70s rock, I certainly view that LP in a very different light than when I first encountered it, in the mid-80s as a 13 year old mini-mod. Then, i was struck by how incongruous with what was postulated in Barnes' 'Mods!' book those pictures look. Not long after I managed to lay my hands on a VHS copy of the film and, with all the conviction of youth, felt that it captured Mod far better (however, even then i was puzzled by how Sting could be considered a 'face'. I mean, that coat. And the hair!).

20-something  years later, and with more musical 'suss', I think the 1973 version is epic. Not musically, at least not in a good sense, but as a whole package. I don't know if any of you are familiar with the new micro-genre of hauntology, but I think that record, particularly the booklet, captures the spirit behind that aesthetic perfectly: that mixture of dread and alienation, the power of memory refractured through the splintered mirror of the great Acid Comedown of 1969 makes it quite successful. Post-Psych you might call it (analogue to Post-Punk).

The film also captures some of that and evokes powerful memories in me, but these are of the late 70s and 80s when the film was made, rather than the period it attempts to portray. It belongs to the same genre as 'Bronco Bullfrog' or the like.

*Yep, I can't stand Soul unless sufficiently 'polluted'- a result of being force-fed purist Northern Soul throughout my teenage years.

#7 2010-09-15 11:36:55

Rip Rig & Panic

It was like it was waiting for something to happen.  For me, punk was just around the corner.  Was the kid called 'Chad'?

#8 2010-09-15 11:39:02

Alex Roest

#9 2010-09-19 07:59:39

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

Vibe-Rations in Spectra-Sonic-Sound

#10 2010-09-19 08:09:58

Alex Roest

#11 2010-09-19 08:16:58

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

I think you're right Alex, definitely the actual Suedeheads: right era and look.  They don't look like models to me, these are real kids.

Also like the way Jimmy's mother looks like the Queen. Pretty much sure that was deliberate.

Vibe-Rations in Spectra-Sonic-Sound

#12 2010-09-19 13:13:02

Alex Roest

#13 2010-09-19 14:35:36

Staceyboy
Ivy Archivist

Isn't it Jeanette Charles? Has (had?) whole career impersonating old Liz Windsor.

Staceyboy

http://thetownoutside.tumblr.com

• Index
  •  » Talk Ivy
  •  » A Trip Down Memory Lane Part Four: Quadrophenia - The Album

Board footer