You are not logged in.

#1 2010-09-21 07:11:33

Rip Rig & Panic

The 'Perfect' Desert Boot

I'm willing to forget the subject of outsourcing just for the moment.  Okay.  The older I get, the better I like them.  You can do more or less anything with them.  I'm just looking, for inspiration, at that famous shot of Tony Perkins by the twisted tree.  He looks like fucking Karloff in those desert boots he's wearing, but the rumpled shirt and suit - great. 
I'm trying to discern a major difference between the dessie and the chukka.  I often tend to think of the one in suede, the other in leather (if you see what I mean).  I'd love something that looks as if it really could survive under desert conditions.  I'd also love something like the snuff boot we all seem to know from shots of McQueen.  Any new reports on Boggi?  I'd love another pair of Garrett, but in snuff or rust (even chestnut).  This might be 'Holy Grail' territory.  I keep looking, but...  I'm dubious about buying re-enactors stuff... 

Who made those boots that Perkins wore in 'Psycho'?

#2 2010-09-21 07:21:27

shamrockmonkey

Re: The 'Perfect' Desert Boot

isnt the sole the difference? desert boots having crepe, and chukkas, having other than crepe?

notwithstanding the fact that the WWII models often had hard rubber boot soles, apparently. bata had to have made the first crepe soled model.

I dont know if id be wary of reenactor stuff at all. those geeks spazz about tiny details, down to individual threads, from what i gather. absolute nightmare for their supplies (quartermasters?) re-enacting to educate the public seems to be at the absolute bottom of their objectives-fetishy weirdoes who make the igents look normal.

Last edited by shamrockmonkey (2010-09-21 07:25:07)

I brush my teeth with minty paste/I hate when Liquor goes to waste.

#3 2010-09-21 07:27:24

Rip Rig & Panic

Mm, my chukka boots certainly have very hard rubber soles and a heel.  Yes.

#4 2010-09-21 07:39:43

Harpo
The Best In The West

Randy lower-class trifler

#5 2010-09-21 07:41:24

Rip Rig & Panic

LOL!  Always first at the bloody bar, they are.  I've also seen American Civil War geeks in the Pennines.  The Johnny Reb side were wearing the wrong uniforms.

#6 2010-09-21 07:54:00

shamrockmonkey

we have medieval spastics here, too. may be more popular than the others- since comparatiely less is known about, say, private life during that period, they can focus even more on flights of fantastical whimsy,imaginary beings, fairy tales, etc., as well as completely unrelated topics such as "wicca", which as far as i can tell dates back to about 1972.

we had to go to a reenactment on a weekend ,for credit, in high school, as our teacher enjoyed playing dressup games with his middle aged virgin friends. i placed an official complaint with the district for wasting my time.

#7 2010-09-21 08:05:44

shamrockmonkey

#8 2010-09-21 08:09:49

Rip Rig & Panic

#9 2010-09-21 08:12:31

Harpo
The Best In The West

The ones I posted are our Civil war re-enactors - to be fair, many do have a serious interest in history (and often cider).

#10 2010-09-21 08:49:15

Bishop of Briggs

Every well-known shoe brand seems to be offering a range of desert boots just now. They are all over London. Ben Sherman has jumped on the bandwagon with multi-coloured offerings.

Contrary to lies of FNB and Woofboxer, I (and most of the other "Buff Bastards") have been banned from posting on this forum. There are only a few posters left so don't waste your time on here. This forum is dead and nobody cares.

#11 2010-09-21 08:53:12

Rip Rig & Panic

The Loake does not look too bad.  Just not especially interesting.  Don't know if they're made in the UK or not.

#12 2010-09-21 08:57:31

Harpo
The Best In The West

I bought some Loakes a couple of years ago - the soles weren't crepe though, they were thin hard rubber. The suede was good.

#13 2010-09-21 10:19:51

Patrick

Here's Johnston & Murphy's take. The price is certainly right — Stateside, anyway. Check out the heel view.

http://www.zappos.com/johnston-murphy-runnell-chukka-boot-chocolate-suede?zfcTest=prodPage2a:1

Otter : Take it easy, I'm pre-law.
Boon : I thought you were pre-med.
Otter : What's the difference?

#14 2010-09-21 10:44:51

Kingstonian

Board footer