You are not logged in.

#1 2010-09-22 04:11:11

Rip Rig & Panic

Shadow

I do like this in a short-sleeved cotton shirt.  A white t beneath, jeans or chinos below, loafers, bucks or canvas.  It's a look for warmer days that seems to me to be pure 'Americana' as opposed to actual 'Ivy'.  But, when the mood takes me.  I just wish I could find another like it that wasn't going to cost a bomb.  Pendleton I can no longer comfortably wear.  Did Haggar do something before outsourcing?  Or Bean?

#2 2010-09-22 04:17:38

Moose Maclennan
Ivy Inspiration

Re: Shadow

#3 2010-09-23 00:18:00

shamrockmonkey

Last edited by shamrockmonkey (2010-09-23 00:18:32)

I brush my teeth with minty paste/I hate when Liquor goes to waste.

#4 2010-09-23 01:34:54

Rip Rig & Panic

Mine is strictly Boom Years Americana: the drive-in, two cheeseburgers and a Coke, science fiction double-bill, DC comics, Jack Purcell.

#5 2010-09-23 03:07:26

Prof Kelp
Professor of Ivy

http://thetownoutside.tumblr.com

#6 2010-09-23 03:21:17

Rip Rig & Panic

LOL!  Okay, touche, Prof!

#7 2010-09-23 03:24:52

Rip Rig & Panic

Actually, I'd say my look is more 'knowing parody' than actual caricature.  That G9, Levis, Argyle, Weejuns look, though, seems to me to spring straight from the pages of that Peter York book: trendy graphics bod around Soho wanders over to Covent Garden to check out this hip new shop he's heard about.

#8 2010-09-23 03:55:42

shamrockmonkey

theres a point at which these "looks" can end up giving unintended impressions, is the thing. with the mod caricature thingy, you may look like a cartoon, but only to a tiny number of people who are "itk". someone wearing all of that shit together is still going to look sharp and put together to the other 99.9% of the population. items which either happen to be in style or never go out of style. as a caricatured uniform, it aint half bad. some of this stuff gets more problematic, imho.

#9 2010-09-23 04:41:32

Rip Rig & Panic

I'm conscious of crossing a line or two with some of what I wear.  My basic wardrobe is probably much the same as many, but I try to use some kind of odd, half-formed instinct when buying anything new.  A question of aesthetics?  To some extent, yes, certainly.  I used to have a habit of trawling Ebay looking for bargain basement odds and sods in the USA, and came up with quite a few goodies when postage was still inexpensive.  Hence the 'shadow'.  Nowadays, though, I prefer to buy either via forum members or in dusty little back street shops.

#10 2010-09-23 05:21:47

shamrockmonkey

shadow plaid can look fine in the right combo and context. even those horrifying catalina jackets that evoke OAPs eating catfood can, im sure, look decent with the right combination, though i wouldnt attempt it myself. my comments werent addressed at you or anyone else in particular. this is also, keep in mind, coming from someone who generally wears free shirts from pipe distributors and Incontinence pants pants,4 or 5 days a week. with some of the stuff i see glorifed on here i have a somewhat frightening mental picture of a european who has succeeded in looking perfectly, 100% american- an american who perhaps has out of control medical bills, or works in the produce aisle due to slight brain damage. to put it in context, i had a similar experience when i went over there. in northern italy, i was asked over and over again if i was "inglesi", which flattered me. people gave a me wide, concerned berth, except when inviting me to a"raving party" or offering me drugs. years later, i realized that my sartorial impression, gleaned from Girls Ball games magazines, DJ publications, and the like in the days before widespread internet, was so accurate that i was taken for the lowest strata of british lumpenproletariat yob," 'avin a bevvy wif fookin' eyeties" on the way back from raping domestic animals in ayia napa. if there is a point to my rambling, which there probably isnt, its that this stuff can be overdone. and, if crossing the atlantic, stick to the sack suits, shetlands,harringtons, etc.  so as to avoid being asked to bag someone's groceries.

#11 2010-09-23 05:58:08

Rip Rig & Panic

#12 2010-09-23 06:05:50

shamrockmonkey

yeah, it was weird. no one could possibly mistake my accent for anywhere more than 10 miles from one of the lower great lakes. besides the clothes, the beer gut, chain smoking, and pockets full of cheap canned lager probably completed the "look". we were bombing serbia at the time, anti-american mobs running through the streets of milan chanting, so looking like lager lout scum paradoxically probably prevented me from getting stabbed. i am not sure who harry the dog is, but im guessing he's not (as he sounds) a children's tv character.

#13 2010-09-23 06:13:15

Rip Rig & Panic

#14 2010-09-23 06:18:43

Rip Rig & Panic

#15 2010-09-23 08:13:02

Hard Bop Hank
Ivy Soul Brother

sometimes you make it sound as if any football fan was a hooligan...

I'm pretty sure that the violent yobs are just a minority...

“No Room For Squares”
”All political art is bad – all good art is political.”
"Would there be any freedom of press or speech if one must reduce his vocabulary to vapid innocuous euphemisms?"

#16 2010-09-23 08:16:50

Rip Rig & Panic

Board footer