You are not logged in.

#51 2010-09-23 10:09:27

Horace

Re: The Tea Party

""This is probably the last Deb season...because of the stock market, the economy, Everything..." - W. Stillman.

#52 2010-09-23 18:00:56

shamrockmonkey

I brush my teeth with minty paste/I hate when Liquor goes to waste.

#53 2010-09-23 22:10:13

Horace

""This is probably the last Deb season...because of the stock market, the economy, Everything..." - W. Stillman.

#54 2010-09-23 22:39:31

shamrockmonkey

more or less any mainstream history written before revisionist catholic-bashing in relation to the holocaust became popular about 20 years ago. off the top of my head, "the 12 year reich", by british historian gerald reitlinger, shirers "the thousand year reich" (read the section on cardinal faulhaber) and "anatomy of the SS state" (various authors). the latter has heydrich declaring "the catholic clergy in particular to be a 'sworn enemy of the state' ....arrests of clergy accelerated in 1940-41" (pp. 470-1). Any basic treatment of the SS or the nazi party that ive read discusses at length the official promotion of neo-paganism and the official suppression (if not outright banning) of christianity as a "weak, alien ideology".

the church's complicity in ferrying the guilty to south america after the war, the catholic center party (not the same thing as the catholic church, though allied) bending over at the polls in 1933, as well as fellow travelling with various fascist movements outside of germany (notably croatia and of course spain), and their numerous political fuckups, failures, and misadventures since then is one thing. complicity in the holocaust in another. garry wills and "hitch" are intellectual hacks with their own agendas to promote. if they could find a way to tie mao tse-tung to the church they would.

Last edited by shamrockmonkey (2010-09-23 22:42:41)

I brush my teeth with minty paste/I hate when Liquor goes to waste.

Board footer