You are not logged in.

#1 2009-07-25 03:53:35

One Trick Pony

'Cleanliness is next to godliness'

For those of you who, like me, still enjoy their Shakespeare and their scripture.  I do so like the Old Testament.  "Thou shalt not read the Bible for its prose", said Auden, but that's precisely what I do.

I digress. 

Grooming.  Yes.  Miles Davis even wore clear nail polish (if we believe everything we read), an affectation at which I would draw the line.  But the shower, the shampoo, the removal of unsightly hairs, the squaring off at the nape of the neck ("very, very conservative, James"), the nail trimming, the application of Extract of Limes, the overall feeling of health (if not wealth) are all-important.  All right, 'clean living under difficult circumstances' - for English teddy boys as well as mods (read Ray Gosling's introduction to the now OOP book of Roger Mayne's photographs).  What's more appealing, too, than a sweet-smelling, soul-loving young woman? 
I was watching an old Bette Davis movie mid-week, made in 1944 or thereabouts, and was marvelling at the shower arrangements in the bathroom there.  The glass door could have come straight out of a luxury home in England in 2009.  Remember the public bath scenes in 'Quadrophenia'?  My wife lived in a house in the 1970s that had no bathroom.  'Clean living under difficult circumstances', then.  Northern Soul fans I knew circa 1975 lived in a two-bedroom house where there were two adults and nine children. 

'They were mods, but looked a bit grubby'.  A misquote from 'Soul Stylists'.  How could they possibly have been mods?  Oh, and Japanese Ivyists must surely be the cleanest of all...

#2 2009-07-25 05:00:18

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

Re: 'Cleanliness is next to godliness'

#3 2009-07-25 06:58:22

Alex Roest

#4 2009-07-25 09:32:09

One Trick Pony

To bathe well is like breathing clean air.  Nothing like clean linen, including crisp white handkerchieves in one's pocket.

#5 2009-08-14 13:37:47

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

#6 2009-08-14 13:54:32

Kingstonian

People still managed to keep up appearances. Constant hot water was something American visitors expected but Brits were used to managing without. Showers ? A bath more like.

Yet designer stubble was never a fashion. Every man shaved - even if you had to boil a kettle. Clothes were pressed and clean. Shoes were shined. People took more of a pride in their appearance. 'Hippy' was a middle class phenomenon. Workers were glad of the chance to get dressed up for a night out.

#7 2009-08-14 13:56:57

nouvelle vague
A Distillation of Ivy Inspiration.

Shave and a haircut two bits..
Love a new haircut and a good shave. relish slapping a bit of old spice on after too.
makes one feel neat, sharp and stinging.
Always a good start before dressing.

My grandfather always shaved daily. clean clothes daily. Haircut once a week,always looked neat clean and smelled new. He came from a really big family with 10 siblings in a small house no indoor plumbing.

my dad is the same. shaves daily,haircut once a week. clothes change daily. my dad was also from a large family.
He used to steal his brothers clothes who was a super sharp dresser. shopped at the ivy weekly. my dad and his other brothers shopped there too later on.

Last edited by nouvelle vague (2009-08-14 14:07:39)

'Jean-Paul Sartre and john lee hooker'

#8 2009-08-20 04:08:22

Horace

I'm  clean but have a special regard for degenerates like Guy Burgess and others who were rather disshevelled.

""This is probably the last Deb season...because of the stock market, the economy, Everything..." - W. Stillman.

#9 2009-08-20 06:30:08

Beatnik

I agree Horace. There's such a thing as looking too squeeky clean, I feel. I prefer a more 'lived in' approach. Not trying too hard, interesting, slightly frayed at the edges. More academic but not studenty.

#10 2010-09-23 05:14:55

Rip Rig & Panic

Did someone recommend 'Old Spice'?  Not bad value at £1.69 a pop.  Having to take twice-daily baths with Badedas since the shower conked out, but this stuff beats Trumpers any day of the week.  Spray it on after your first bath, around seven thirty, you can still whiff it even after the second before milk and cookie time.

#11 2010-09-23 16:28:46

Beatnik's ghost

Nice with a drop of lemonade...

#12 2010-09-24 01:34:58

shamrockmonkey

I brush my teeth with minty paste/I hate when Liquor goes to waste.

#13 2010-09-24 02:37:58

Moose Maclennan
Ivy Inspiration

I believe the original formula is from 1938. Mercifully, the Allies never had to deploy it.

#14 2010-09-24 02:45:29

shamrockmonkey

im sure it was tested on ckav, when he was working for the CIA testing flying saucers and whatnot.

I brush my teeth with minty paste/I hate when Liquor goes to waste.

Board footer